E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

My Ride: Collects dust.
E39 - Standard vs. Premium Sound

Looking at landing my Dad a 2003 530i pretty quick, and one of the cars that we're going to shoot for has the Premium sound.
I know a lot of you guys have owned E39s; how do the stock and premium sound systems compare? I know it's a $1,200 option, but I'm guessing it's probably not a huge step up?
Anyone know how it compares to the E46 Harmon Kardon? I have heard that sytem in action.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega9701
one moment, you're rolling. the next, you're blowing a guy for a sandwich
InSuboRdiNaTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
can't say I know, but I am very satisfied with my stock system in my 325Ci, I don't miss any bass, but I listen to classic rock mostly and don't need or care for the "bumpin" -make sure he gets Bi-Xenons though!!! and heated seats- my two favorite options
Old 04-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

Yeah, Xenons are pretty much standard on cars with both the Premium and Sport Package, we have found very few that don't have them. Not sure if they are Bi-xenons or not though. Dad could care less about heated seats... living in Sacramento, they really aren't that useful. I have them in my car, and virtually never use them.
I agree, the stock system in the E46 is decent. I find its bass response pretty dissapointing though, and added a Basslink as a result. My dad previously had an E39 wagon, and the bass really sucked in that thing, but I think it was partly because the rear speakers are so far away in the wagon, and they aren't 6X9s (which I think the sedan has?).

Quote:
Old 04-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
lol, kinda funny, I use my heated seats all the time and I live in LA, but I drive with all windows down/popped and sunroof open, even if it's like 50-55 outside, so I guess it depends on personal preference, if the convertibles weren't so f***ing slow I'd have one, lol
Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
i have heard mixed things about the DSP system in the e39 5 series. Althoug, i will tell you the stock system in my cousins 02 530i is downright terrible and i'm not a bass junkie at all. its clear in a sense but i seems out of tune and when you demand the slightest bit of bass out of it, it distorts like crazy. If you plan on changing out the sound system, everyone says don't get the DSP because the wiring is completely different and alot more complicated.

So, although I haven't heard the DSP equipped 5 series, i can tell you the stock system is downright

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
OY-BSJ

My Ride: 528i Steptronic
Hi

I have a 528i with the BMW Professional Hifi-system (as it is called here in Denmark - equals Premium Sound) - It has 12 speakers + a dual-port subwoofer and the DSP amplifier - AND IT SOUNDS GREAT !!

In all my former cars (BMW's ofcourse :-) I have installed new stereo's to get the sound that I want, but in the E39 with the above mentioned soundsystem, I am very pleased

Best Regards
Brian S Jensen - Denmark
OY-BSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Jeff E39

My Ride: E90 328i
Send a message via AIM to Jeff E39
BMW is not known for there sound systems, even the E39 M5 with the M sound isn't supposed to be that good. However anything is better then the non DSP radio. I have the bare bone stock radio in my car and it aint great. So the DSP has to be better. Good luck with ur E39 hunting.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
Clem
Alpha Male

My Ride: Twin Turbo'd Beast
I've got the M-Audio (DSP) system in my 03 M5. While it's not the greatest it's better than the HK upgrade I had in my E46. Typical as in any BMW audio "upgrade" it does lack bass.

Reading back that probably doesn't help you.

Oh btw: if you E39 guys are interested, there's a GB on Hella clears and Hella Celis tails over on m5board.com

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70474
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
hammerfang

My Ride: 2003 330i
there r no premium sound systems that bmw has ever offered which sound alot better then the stock ones, they all suck IMO
hammerfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
The carver sound system in the Z4 is pretty good. I was really suprised when I sat in one at the dealer and they had to tell me to turn it down. The bass response was amazing. The Logic7 system isn't half bad either.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
InSuboRdiNaTioN
Mmm, Pancakes.

Thanks for all of the input We didn't get the car we we're going after that had premium sound, but we did land another without it. Oh well, dad isn't an audiophile anyways.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
Kain

My Ride: E39 M5...sold!
Our 1997 Saab 9000 had THE BEST stock sound system I've ever heard. It only had 4 speakers (2 of them were subwoofers + mid-range speakers) but it sounded SOOOOOO good. The highs and lows where awesome. I swear, even today, it sounded as if you had an aftermarket system installed. And this is coming from an audiophile.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
JSilver

My Ride: ///M3 cb/ cin 6-spd
I have the HK system in my 330ci. its really nice, a lot better than my friends non HK BMW system. I'm really happy my car ahs the HK system becuase it does have a lot better speakers and ****, plus if you ever want to up grade without a HK system then you have to repalce speakers sometimes (real bummer).
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote