E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Howie330ci

My Ride: 330ci
Ticking/tapping/doof noise in engine then stutters and stalls

Not claiming to have any idea as I'm an electrician not a mechanic. I've done a few little diy but that's about it. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is causing this to happen. Car was running smoothly but for about a month the car would sometimes randomly start feeling like it was farting or some **** when I pressed the accelerator or it would be sluggish as hell and no matter how hard I pressed the gas it wouldn't clime the rpm and go faster. Then it would go away by itself sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes after 10 seconds. But this time it didn't go away. I know my cars probably stuffed I just need to know what to do now, I was driving home and it got me all the way home, then when I was home I had to go get some fuel but it got there okay but when j went to return home it started stalling so I got home asap and haven't driven it since. Just changed the fuel pump as my friend who works as a apprentice mechanic at bmw thinks it was a fuel problem. Didn't change anything still doing exactly the same thing here's a video so you understand what I'm sayin. Thanks everyone and again I'm very new to cars

Last edited by Howie330ci; 07-03-2015 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Forgot link
Howie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
Vacuum leaks, knocking and nothing that shouldn't be fixed after using the "search this forum" feature of the DIY section.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Howie330ci

Man believe me I have searched and searched but it seems it's something different for everyone else. There's even a funny smell coming from the engine bay but il check out for any leaks
Old 07-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
How many miles?

Do you know of anything that has, or hasn't been replaced?

Example: I've had my E46 for 10 months and I know what I've done to it and haven't done to it. So I know things that are likely to go wrong, or things I have skipped.

But in all likelihood, it sounds like you have a big vacuum leak somewhere.

Last edited by Kye7; 07-04-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
Howie330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7 View Post
How many miles?

Do you know of anything that has, or hasn't been replaced?

Example: I've had my E46 for 10 months and I know what I've done to it and haven't done to it. So I know things that are likely to go wrong, or things I have skipped.

But in all likelihood, it sounds like you have a big vacuum leak somewhere.
Thanks for the reply, it has 149 129.086 miles, I have had the car around 8 months. Recently it has had all Sparks and ignition coils changed as they were gone. Brand new fuel pump and just other basic service things like air filter and oil filter. I have purchased a code reader and should be here next week some time will that tell me where the issue is? Again I really appreciate all the help thank you
Old 07-05-2015, 03:41 AM   #6
Howie330ci

Hey all after a long day I found the issue I opened up and saw that the ignition coil the 5th one has exploded. I have a picture. I'm guessing the cause was a loose spark plug lucky there's no threading or metal shavings in the engine head. I will post a picture car is running and no noise I have ordered a full set of spark plugs thank you all very much
Old 07-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
325CiBrett

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Thanks for what? Literally nobody said anything that helped you. You helped yourself though.
325CiBrett is online now   Reply With Quote