E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
RonBurgandy

My Ride: 2000 328i Steel Gray
I want to wrap my wood grain trim in carbon fiber but don't know how too

So I have looked at ebay to see if they sold specfic wraps for our cars but found nothing except for ones that had already been wrapped. I'd like to wrap my trim but don't own a heat gun and don't know exactly what carbon fiber wrap to buy or how much I will need. I had an E46 Sedan Auto. I suppose I could take it into a window tinter with the wrap and ask him to do it. I know some people who tint and I;m betting would cost around $50 for the job to be done. I would rather do it myself but I would have to find sticky carbon fiber wrap, not the kind to be used with a heat gun. Can any of you OG's help a new's caster gangbanger who's out of action and looking for some?
RonBurgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
The Snake

My Ride: 3-Pedal 330ci
3M dinoc is sticky and typically the choice on these boards.. but you should still have a heat gun for the edges and corners... Here's how mine came out, but I ended up taking it off Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1442243064.541670.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	612613

"If you aren't driving a stick shift BMW, you're just steering"

Formerly DavidNathan
The Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
ibooste90

My Ride: e46 cabriolet
It is extremely easy to DIY if you buy decent vinyl. A hair dryer works no need for a heat gun. Its actually easier with a hair dryer as a heat gun gets extremely hot fast and it will over stretch the vinyl out easy. If you don't want to diy, take it to a vinyl shop not a tinter, 2 totally different techniques.
ibooste90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
RonBurgandy

My Ride: 2000 328i Steel Gray
Cool looking stuff. I guess I will do that. I do have a hair dryer. How much will I need to do my sedan?

Last edited by RonBurgandy; 09-14-2015 at 06:08 PM.
RonBurgandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
I did mine with 1'x6', you'll have plenty extra in case you have any mishaps. And I would actually recommend a hairdryer if you have never wrapped anything in vinyl before.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote