E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
dcminiman_43

My Ride: 2004 325i
Who here has done a Single Din Headunit and thinks they can help me with my issue?

OK, so all my wiring is good and such its this dumb face plate won fit. and i've read people have issues. does any one have any step buy step on where i should trim etc or any tricks. really don't wanna pay an audio place over $100 when all i need is to put the face plate on and screw it in and be done...i can get pictures if needed. please help i know this is probably a ridiculous question.

1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 2dr 2.5 5spd (Project)

2004 Mystic Blue 325I 5spd (Daily)

Last edited by dcminiman_43; 07-19-2016 at 10:56 PM.
dcminiman_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #2
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
I installed my face plate before installing the head unit, and don't remove it. It's really tight to remove on my specific unit, though I don't bother.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
I installed my face plate before installing the head unit, and don't remove it. It's really tight to remove on my specific unit, though I don't bother.
you mean the part that controls the unit itself? cause that metal unit is 10x bigger than the face plate lol

Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
BKMrSteel

Who here has done a Single Din Headunit and thinks they can help me with my i...

Maybe better explain what problems you are having

Edit: if you are talking about how a full size unit doesn't want to fit in the space with the wires behind it, that is a pain in the rear. I managed it a few times carefully placing everything in the back, and later replaced with a "multi media " unit (no CD player) and everything fit much better.

Last edited by BKMrSteel; 07-20-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Maybe better explain what problems you are having

Edit: if you are talking about how a full size unit doesn't want to fit in the space with the wires behind it, that is a pain in the rear. I managed it a few times carefully placing everything in the back, and later replaced with a "multi media " unit (no CD player) and everything fit much better.
Im talking about the Scosche BW2320 Dash Kit face plate they give u wont fit right

Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
allikanbe

My Ride: 2006 330Ci Convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 View Post
Im talking about the Scosche BW2320 Dash Kit face plate they give u wont fit right
"They"? Who is they? Call them and get help. Was "they" Crutchfield? You aren't giving enough info to get help. Post a pic of what you are talking about.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
dcminiman_43

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
"They"? Who is they? Call them and get help. Was "they" Crutchfield? You aren't giving enough info to get help. Post a pic of what you are talking about.
Crutchfield yes.

And here is a picture of the peice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160720_133656.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	637136  

Old 07-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
BKMrSteel

Apparently I have zero experience with the problem you have encountered. The trim part looks just like the other three I have sitting somewhere, as they come free from just about any online store worth shopping at. I might recommend installing components in this order. Wiring harness, basket, trim (with screws), head unit. I just cant remember if the head unit fits through the black trim, or if it needs be installed before. Whatever fitment problems you are running into is likely because of the head unit selected or user error. If the black trim is deformed, misshapen, or just not fitting on its own at all, you should contact the store for replacement.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
allikanbe

Quote:
Crutchfield yes.

Call Crutchfield. They have a landline, email, chat support, video chat support, etc. They will help despite you poor picture taking skills.
Srsly, just contact them.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
allikanbe

Quote:
Crutchfield yes.

And here is a picture of the peice[/QUOTE]
Call Crutchfield. They have a landline, email, chat support, video chat support, etc. They will help despite you poor picture taking skills.
Srsly, just contact them.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM   #11
Trytro

My Ride: 2000 323i 5 spd
This might help and it might not, but when I did my swap I got super pissed and drove back to the shop I Baught the radio from to yell about the radio being to big, turns out the single din piece you set the radio in acts as a trim around the radio instead of the beauty cover so the radio sits in and is more flush
Trytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM   #12
Jackcloud

My Ride: BENZ
Send a message via AIM to Jackcloud
Go to wobd2 to search help

Last edited by Jackcloud; Yesterday at 02:47 AM.
Jackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote