E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #361
Titanium3Series

My Ride: 03 325,97Max,02Gsxr
i have to just give props to the original poster ,cause without this i would have been still trying to figure it out.

l 2003 BMW 325i l 1997 Nissan Maxima l 2002 GSXR Telefonica l
Titanium3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #362
spartanz

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanz View Post
and how am I suppose to do that ?
with wire or something ?

Help I feel like a duke's of hazzard in my e46 now
Well got it fix
it was the door carrier.., I have never heard of a broken door carrier
it cost me $150 for parts n $50 on labour
I had my buddy that work on BMW dealership did it 4 me , an little side work
now it opens fine

well at least i can get in my car now... !
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #363
crashcup

My Ride: 2001 330i
Excellent Directions, but...

Hi:

This was an excellent DIY write up. The directions were excellent as were the photos. I ran into a problem when I tested the window. A plastic curved piece, about 18 inches long has fallen in the bottom of the door. I've posted pictures of it below. Can anyone tell me what it is, where it goes and where I can find some picture to see how it is installed? Pic posted below. Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by crashcup; 01-12-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Wrong url
crashcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #364
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Looks almost like the cover that goes over the bowden cable. Tough to tell from the picture though.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #365
sergio

My Ride: E46/330xi E90/335xi
BMW E46 front left regulator for 54.39 free shipping

Guys, has anyone had good success with regulators from ebay? Is it equal / better than the Original or OEM? regulator? Here is the seller that I'm considering to purchase my regulators from: foreigncarpartsonline

Here is the item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...item334c97b240

Thanks...
Sergio
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #366
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I got a front window regulator from FCP Groton via ebay. It worked fairly well for about 4 months. 2 weeks ago it took a dump. Stick with OEM. More expensive, but you won't have to do it twice like I did.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #367
sergio

Rick, thanks for suggestion. What are our best suppliers for OEM E46 window regulators?

At RM European they are 128$:
http://www.rmeuropean.com/part-Numbe..._E095124A.aspx

Take care...
Sergio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
I got a front window regulator from FCP Groton via ebay. It worked fairly well for about 4 months. 2 weeks ago it took a dump. Stick with OEM. More expensive, but you won't have to do it twice like I did.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #368
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
morristown bmw has an ebaystore-great pricing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

$90 for OEM can't beat that.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #369
sergio

Very nice pricing for original regulators!! Thanks....
Sergio
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #370
spartanz

My Ride: 328i
Don't ever buy off ebay..., got mine to work for about 2 weeks ..., now the have 2 do everything all over again...............!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #371
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanz View Post
Don't ever buy off ebay..., got mine to work for about 2 weeks ..., now the have 2 do everything all over again...............!!!!!!
Depends on the item & who is selling it.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #372
MysticBlueM3

My Ride: 2005 M3, MT6
I just added a link to this DIY as a good reference for someone else to use that asked about it... great work btw!!

One side-note for those that have yet to do this: make sure to have a deep 1/4" drive 10mm socket on hand to loosen the bolts holding the window in (Step 14 of original post), otherwise getting those two bolts loose will present quite the challenge. I had a 3/8" drive 10mm socket and it wasn't skinny & deep enough to fit back between the metal of the door to loosen the bolts... luckily my dad did and since then I've bought the socket and have used it at least once.

Last edited by MysticBlueM3; 01-19-2010 at 11:26 PM.
MysticBlueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #373
jedfrouga

My Ride: 330I
Thank you so much for this write up. Took me a while but I made my way through it. The only problem I had was when I was done with everything, none of the door locks worked. About an hour later, the remote started working... Then the next day, the button on the middle console started working. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have no idea what would cause this odd behavior.
I have also had a problem with my driver side door. When it's locked, I pull the handle once and it comes up a little but not all the way. I have to pull the handle, hold the lock that pops up and then pull the handle again. I haven't been able to find a post that discusses this yet. Maybe it's just my car...
jedfrouga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #374
kroh

My Ride: 2001ish 325i
Send a message via ICQ to kroh Send a message via AIM to kroh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfrouga View Post
The only problem I had was when I was done with everything, none of the door locks worked. About an hour later, the remote started working... Then the next day, the button on the middle console started working. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have no idea what would cause this odd behavior.
Power locks are controlled by the GM5. Could just be coincidence that they're starting to fail when you changed the regulator.
See thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=113239
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Bavarian Autosport ignition
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
    • Rear CA bushing limiters
  • ZHP/Bilstein suspension
  • MTech II kit/OEM facelift
  • Ski hatch Solo-Baric sub
kroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #375
tfoxsf

My Ride: 2003 325i
Help -- someone booby trapped it!!

Please Help. I've reached the stage where you need to loosen the two brackets that hold the glass. The left is fine -- comes loose easily. The right bracket (front driver side) 8mm bolt is stripped. I had a feeling someone had attempted this before.

I tried different size sockets -- no luck, just slipped or didn't fit. I found tiny vise grips -- still slipped off with a ton of pressure. I sprayed lube on the bolt -- no luck. I am seriously going to smash the window and rip the regulator out!!!

Is there any way you can complete the zip-tie fix without disconnecting the glass? If not, does anyone have any idea (no matter how crazy) that will help me get this bolt off? Is there any chance the stealership has a tool that will break it free?

This type of thing has temporarily crushed my DIY spirit. Please help.
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #376
Rickna

Try using a nut splitter.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #377
kroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Try using a nut splitter.
An honest effort, but there's no way he's getting a nut splitter in there.

I know what you mean by "killing my DIY spirit." I ended up having to take my control arms into a shop to have them pull the ball joints--mine had never been replaced and had ten years to settle themselves in. They weren't particularly interested in going anywhere. Bummed me out. (I was pleased to learn that the guy at the shop had a hell of a time as well. Schadenfreude?) Don't give up, though.

You could try drilling it out, but you run the risk of breaking the glass. I can tell you that after replacing my driver's side regulator, I was able to zip-tie my passenger side (to reinforce them lest they inevitably fail) without removing the glass. It takes a needle-nose pliers (I used a pair of Kelly forceps) and some patience.

Also, if you were feeling particularly crafty, you could try using a drill bit on a dremel to grind the entire head of the bolt away, piece by piece. This, however, would require a steady hand, a sack lunch and a big set of balls. Good luck.
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #378
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroh View Post
An honest effort, but there's no way he's getting a nut splitter in there.

I know what you mean by "killing my DIY spirit." I ended up having to take my control arms into a shop to have them pull the ball joints--mine had never been replaced and had ten years to settle themselves in. They weren't particularly interested in going anywhere. Bummed me out. (I was pleased to learn that the guy at the shop had a hell of a time as well. Schadenfreude?) Don't give up, though.

You could try drilling it out, but you run the risk of breaking the glass. I can tell you that after replacing my driver's side regulator, I was able to zip-tie my passenger side (to reinforce them lest they inevitably fail) without removing the glass. It takes a needle-nose pliers (I used a pair of Kelly forceps) and some patience.

Also, if you were feeling particularly crafty, you could try using a drill bit on a dremel to grind the entire head of the bolt away, piece by piece. This, however, would require a steady hand, a sack lunch and a big set of balls. Good luck.
Now I understand the bolt you're talking about. Probably a Dremel with a carbide cutter would be the best then.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #379
tfoxsf

My Ride: 2003 325i
Thanks for the input guys.

Although the nut splitter isn't a great fit for this problem, I have never seen those and will add it to my DIY arsenal.

It has been pouring rain in San Francisco since I reached my stalemate -- I'm glad I didn't smash the glass to show it who's boss! I am keen on attempting kroh's trick of doing the zip-tie fix without removing the glass. I noticed that while my window generally 'crunches' when I lower it about half way, if I stop it -- then raise it slightly -- then lower it again, it runs smoothly. This leads me to believe that my regulator is a perfect candidate for the zip-ties and the cable isn't severely kinked. I tracked down a schematic of the door regulator, and I'm thinking of trying to snap some pics with my hand in the door to give me a lay of the land.

Any foreseeable problems with this approach? Although it may take me 12 hours and 12 beers -- is the bracket accessible enough to do the zip-tie fix?

Update: I changed some light bulbs in the house to get my DIY mojo momentum back -- that was a close one!
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #380
kroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
Any foreseeable problems with this approach? Although it may take me 12 hours and 12 beers -- is the bracket accessible enough to do the zip-tie fix?
You can totally do the zip-tie fix without removing the bracket as long as you have some appropriate pliers and patience. Alternatively, if you do get the bracket off, (and find that your regulator's cable is b0rked) I have a driver's side regulator I've already zip-tie'd that I'm not using. Pay the shipping and kick in some beer money, and I'll send it to you.
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars