E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
Yes, I powered the car back up to test the window, but hadn't reconnected the airbag. That has to be why the SRS sensed a problem.
Ah, yes, that would be a problem.

Quote:
The regulator was a fun project, though. On mine, the cable was all knotted up round the pulley at the motor, meaning the pulley had broken down. I bought a new regulator, and it went in without any problems.
Yes, you definitely need a new regulator in that situation.

Quote:
Another consequence of disconnecting the battery was that I had to figure out how to reset the clock! What a pain that would have been without some help here. This forum is awsome.
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that the clock would need to be reset. The directions on how to do this are probably in the BMW user manual in addition to here in the forums.

Glad everything worked out!!

Last edited by elbee; 05-19-2006 at 12:22 PM.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #22
rhulse330i

My Ride: 330i
D**n it! Did the same thing

Connected the battery to test the window while the airbag was unplugged. now getting the airbag light!

f***k. Why couldn't I have read ALL the posts before doing this...
rhulse330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #23
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
Is a little "click" noise when you roll the window down, a sign of a future broken window regulator?
kyle e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #24
tofupunx

My Ride: 2000 328i SP
My front pass. side window sounds like the glass is grinding a little? Regulator?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #25
elbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofupunx
My front pass. side window sounds like the glass is grinding a little? Regulator?
My guess would be yes, it's the regulator
Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #26
tofupunx

My Ride: 2000 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee
My guess would be yes, it's the regulator
Thanks for the opinion.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #27
HoTbEEmEr

My Ride: 03 Alpine white M3 &
awesome write up, been waiting for one these diy. Going to give this a try. Thank you Elbee
Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #28
stub303

My Ride: E46 325i
Thank You!

Great DIY instructions. It took me about 2.5 hours to do the passenger window, (as I was being cautious) but 1.5 hours of it was trying to remount the window as I was had the clip on the wrong side of the regulator. Once I figured that part out...the rest was cake.

Now that I know what I'm doing...I don't think the drivers side window will take me more than 30 minutes in/out.

Great easy DIY. Don't pay the dealer to do this...ANYONE can do it. ...I just saved $500 bucks!
stub303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #29
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
This was very easy. i just repaired my passenger window regulator with the zip tie method. took me about 1 hour 30 minutes. no more creaks from the window. i will most likely have to do the driver window too. i wonder why bmw has not corrected this malfunction. it is definately a problem i see many having. these regulators are built cheap with plastic parts that deteriorate. thanks this saved me alot of repair cost!
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #30
tpaktop

My Ride: 2000 323i
Nice guide! I fixed the driver and front passenger door regulator problems this past weekend. Easy!

When you do it, pay a good amount of attention to reattaching the vapor barrier back properly, especially the bottom part. After a dealer replaced a window regulator on my car a few years ago while it was still on warranty, the vapor barrier was poorly reattached as I just discovered. After really heavy rains once in a while I used to have water on the car floor.. This problem is a history now too.
tpaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #31
mudarez

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Carpet destroyed?

I've been dealing with regulator issue lately. Scared, but I'm going to fix this one instead paying my mechanic. Both rear doors are leaking, too. I'm so pissed. Well, the floor well on the rear passenger side has gotten soaked on three occasions. I'm ordering new vapor barriers for both, but I'm concerned about this carpet being ruined. I'm concerned about mold under there even though I've done my best to get it dry. What would you guys do? Any idea how much it'd cost me to replace the carpet? I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Matt
mudarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #32
ariel_franco

My Ride: 328i
Hello guys, my driver's side from window (1999 328i) hardly goes down a couple of inches and then it does not go up by itself. I was told it could be the window regulator or the motor. I am planning to try to fix this my self. Could anyone tell me how I know if it is the regulator or the motor that is causing the problem? Thanks!
ariel_franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #33
elbee

It's the regulator. If it was the motor you would have no movement at all.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #34
PhillyKatBMW

My Ride: BMW
I accidentally stripped the bolt holding the window to the regulator...got any advice from those who have previously done this? I'm totally stuck with my door all taken apart and my window halfway down lol...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #35
elbee

Don't worry. Get a new bolt from a BMW dealership. It should cost less than 50 cents. Then you should drive the car to your local BMW indy shop and ask them to loosen it for you. Before you go you don't need to put the whole door back together. Just drive the car with the door the way it is. But it is very important that you don't drive off with the airbag hanging. Make sure you bolt the airbag back on the door. Also before you drive off, put a towel in the well below the window. The window shouldn't fall, but just in case it does it will fall onto something soft. Depending how bad it was stripped they shouldn't have a problem getting it off for you. It should take them 2 seconds and they probably won't even charge you for it. They usually have better tools than the average home mechanic. If they can't get it off then ask them for suggestions on what you can do. I think Sears might sell a special tool to get off stripped bolts. If they do manage to loosen it you will need to drive home very carefully. You should keep one hand on the bottom of the window. If you have a thick enough towel in the well you should be ok. The window probably won't move but you need to be extra careful just in case it does. If you don't feel comfortable driving with the bracket loose like that you can have them put in the new bolt but make sure they don't tighten it too much so that you have the same problem when you get home.

These things happen.

Last edited by elbee; 07-17-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #36
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
awesome right up..my right rear regulator finally broke.

after studying the DIY, it took me less then 10 mins to get to the regulator.

Unfortunately the cables are all tangeld up so I have to get a new one

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM   #37
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I
awesome right up..my right rear regulator finally broke.

after studying the DIY, it took me less then 10 mins to get to the regulator.

Unfortunately the cables are all tangeld up so I have to get a new one
Exact same prob as mine - I drilled a hole in the rail and bolted the window closed as a temporary fix until I have time to get at it. Have you gotten a price on the regulator yet? Curious as to what they are worth in the states - a local supplier is selling the right rear for $138CDN.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #38
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i
Exact same prob as mine - I drilled a hole in the rail and bolted the window closed as a temporary fix until I have time to get at it. Have you gotten a price on the regulator yet? Curious as to what they are worth in the states - a local supplier is selling the right rear for $138CDN.

Mark
$100 here at my local dealership

$80 online but I figured it's worth the extra $20 for having it right away

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 PM   #39
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i

Mark
They are $80 brand new on ebay.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #40
ViceClown

My Ride: 00 328i
Great writeup! My driver REAR regulator just died on my way back to work from lunch just today. Can I use pretty much the same technique on that one?
ViceClown is offline   Reply With Quote