E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #381
stapler12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,584
My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
did anyone initiate a lawsuit for this design defect yet?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #382
kroh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001ish 325i
Send a message via ICQ to kroh Send a message via AIM to kroh
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
did anyone initiate a lawsuit for this design defect yet?
Oh, relax.
__________________
  • Dinan
    • Intake
    • Exhaust
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Bavarian Autosport ignition
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
    • Rear CA bushing limiters
  • ZHP/Bilstein suspension
  • MTech II kit/OEM facelift
  • Ski hatch Solo-Baric sub
kroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #383
stapler12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,584
My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroh View Post
Oh, relax.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...ook_out_for.3F

"Some owners had success asking BMW NA to cover all or a portion of the cost for this design defect even when the vehicle was out of warranty."
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #384
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,980
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroh View Post
Oh, relax.
Yeah, really...
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #385
malina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.FL
Posts: 757
My Ride: stock ZHP
Changed both front window regulators using this DIY guide Thanks a lot! It's so good when things just work properly.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #386
tfoxsf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 78
My Ride: 2003 325i
So I reached my wits end with my driver side door. The inner hex bolt (holding window glass) was completely stripped. I bought all those stripped bolt removing kits -- no luck. I then went to BMW and asked if they would be able to remove it -- they said yes, for $500 and a new regulator. I then took some of the techs advise and drilled a hole in the center and tried punching in an alan key and a torx bit -- no luck. Then I tried to cut a slot in it and use a large flat head screwdriver -- I actually twisted the metal on the head with no luck in removing the bolt. Thoroughly defeated, I went and did the repair on the passenger side with no issues.

Upon using the zip-tie method on the passenger side, I discovered that you don't need to remove the window bolts at all. My window was still semi-functional, so I just raised and lowered the window to give me access to the sliding bracket. It was incredibly simple to access and complete. Job finished.

An interesting fact I noticed was that the stripped bolt went into a nut that was also removable (held in red clip inside window glass). If I ever needed to remove the window clip, I think I can just drill out the entire bolt and not worry about the threads on the nut. I then could just buy a new hex bolt and floating nut to insert into the red clip. Just thought that tid-bit might be useful to those who have been demoralized by this design flaw.
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #387
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,980
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
So I reached my wits end with my driver side door. The inner hex bolt (holding window glass) was completely stripped. I bought all those stripped bolt removing kits -- no luck. I then went to BMW and asked if they would be able to remove it -- they said yes, for $500 and a new regulator. I then took some of the techs advise and drilled a hole in the center and tried punching in an alan key and a torx bit -- no luck. Then I tried to cut a slot in it and use a large flat head screwdriver -- I actually twisted the metal on the head with no luck in removing the bolt. Thoroughly defeated, I went and did the repair on the passenger side with no issues.

Upon using the zip-tie method on the passenger side, I discovered that you don't need to remove the window bolts at all. My window was still semi-functional, so I just raised and lowered the window to give me access to the sliding bracket. It was incredibly simple to access and complete. Job finished.

An interesting fact I noticed was that the stripped bolt went into a nut that was also removable (held in red clip inside window glass). If I ever needed to remove the window clip, I think I can just drill out the entire bolt and not worry about the threads on the nut. I then could just buy a new hex bolt and floating nut to insert into the red clip. Just thought that tid-bit might be useful to those who have been demoralized by this design flaw.
I'm used to finding frozen nuts/bolts on exhausts and suspensions-but on the window regulator? Well there's a 1st time for just about anything. Must have been moisture over the years. Do you live close to the bay? Must be the salt in the air.
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #388
York
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 203
My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
... -- I actually twisted the metal on the head with no luck in removing the bolt.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you did turn the hex screw clockwise to loosen it since it's reverse thread - right? Mine came off pretty easy.
__________________
330Ci
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #389
kroh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001ish 325i
Send a message via ICQ to kroh Send a message via AIM to kroh
Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you did turn the hex screw clockwise to loosen it since it's reverse thread - right?
Uhm, no it isn't.
__________________
  • Dinan
    • Intake
    • Exhaust
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Bavarian Autosport ignition
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
    • Rear CA bushing limiters
  • ZHP/Bilstein suspension
  • MTech II kit/OEM facelift
  • Ski hatch Solo-Baric sub
kroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #390
York
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 203
My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroh View Post
Uhm, no it isn't.
Oops! Are we talking about the same screw/bolt? This was the that goes through the window mount at the rear and the same in the front just clamps the window? It's the ones that hold the window to the regulator? I believe mind were reverse thread. I read in other threads that you had to be careful or you'd strip it? Probably talking about the wrong one - sorry about that!
__________________
330Ci
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #391
J P LeCoure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mohnton, PA
Posts: 111
My Ride: '01 325i sedan
I fixed both of my front regulators using the zip tie method. Tested them both and they worked like new. Once I got them back together I went to put down the passenger side window and it was effed. Turned around and went back home to find that the clip on the front of the regulator had broken off and torn the cable right off of the track. I then had to go buy one at the stealership. Now they both work perfectly and hope fully I dont have to worry about them for a little while. This is a nice write up.
J P LeCoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #392
kroh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001ish 325i
Send a message via ICQ to kroh Send a message via AIM to kroh
Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
Oops! Are we talking about the same screw/bolt? This was the that goes through the window mount at the rear and the same in the front just clamps the window? It's the ones that hold the window to the regulator?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
I believe mind were reverse thread. I read in other threads that you had to be careful or you'd strip it? Probably talking about the wrong one - sorry about that!
Don't sweat it. These bolts are totally normal. Left-hand threads are typically only required when there's rotational force that might cause them to work free (e.g., a viscous clutch). I know mine weren't, and my Bentley manual makes no mention of it. The reason these bolts are likely to strip is because of their low-profile head (so it clears the rest of the regulator).
__________________
  • Dinan
    • Intake
    • Exhaust
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Bavarian Autosport ignition
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
    • Rear CA bushing limiters
  • ZHP/Bilstein suspension
  • MTech II kit/OEM facelift
  • Ski hatch Solo-Baric sub
kroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #393
malina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.FL
Posts: 757
My Ride: stock ZHP
A small piece of advice: buy OEM window regulator.
I tried some cheaper replica but had to go back OEM root in the end as this piece of cr@p failed on the second day after installation. I installed 3 OEM window regulators before, there was no installation error.
Besides, Tischer BMW has these @ discounted price.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #394
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,980
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by malina View Post
A small piece of advice: buy OEM window regulator.
I tried some cheaper replica but had to go back OEM root in the end as this piece of cr@p failed on the second day after installation. I installed 3 OEM window regulators before, there was no installation error.
Besides, Tischer BMW has these @ discounted price.
I got one from FCP Groton, it failed after about 4 months. They replaced it via overnight shipping with a return shipping label. So far all is good. That's great customer service.
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #395
missamo80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Snohomish
Posts: 311
My Ride: 2001 325i
Anyone have any tips for how to lower the driver's side window to access the bolts that hold it onto the regulator? Mine has died in the up position and I can't figure out how to get the window down so I can losen those bolts.
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #396
tfoxsf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 78
My Ride: 2003 325i
Regulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Anyone have any tips for how to lower the driver's side window to access the bolts that hold it onto the regulator? Mine has died in the up position and I can't figure out how to get the window down so I can losen those bolts.

I'm pretty sure that if you remove the motor (remove the three torx bolts), you can manually push the window up and down with your hands. You should then be able to slide it down enough to reach the bolts.
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #397
NicB.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,257
My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
^^true, just be careful to slide it evenly or it will get out of its groove, then you'll have to mess with fitting it back in.
__________________
NicB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #398
missamo80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Snohomish
Posts: 311
My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxsf View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you remove the motor (remove the three torx bolts), you can manually push the window up and down with your hands. You should then be able to slide it down enough to reach the bolts.
I must be weak, because I've tried this several times and the window won't budge at all, even though the motor is removed

Neil
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #399
tcimpidis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 3
My Ride: 328I w/18" Sport Pkg
Way late now but

I have the diagnostic software and interface and can reset the Airbag (and other) lights for anyone who may need it on most OBDII BMWs up through 2006. I live in Granada Hills, CA.

Also, I have now used three of the FCP Groton regulators and not had any problems with any of them. Two are now more than four years old... In two of the three cases, the clip was not the problem and the regulator had to be replaced. In the third, I decided to replace it proactively anyway since I already had it on hand.

Tom

Last edited by tcimpidis; 03-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.
tcimpidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #400
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,980
My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcimpidis View Post
I have the diagnostic software and interface and can reset the Airbag (and other) lights for anyone who may need it on most OBDII BMWs up through 2006. I live in Granada Hills, CA.

Also, I have now used three of the FCP Groton regulators and not had any problems with any of them. Two are now more than four years old... In two of the three cases, the clip was not the problem and the regulator had to be replaced. In the third, I decided to replace it proactively anyway since I already had it on hand.

Tom
FCP Groton is a good outfit to deal with.
__________________

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use