E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #401
kmyles

My Ride: 01' 325i
So I attempte to replace my regulator today on my drivers side door, and those two bolts made me
call it quits after about 2 hours. So what's the verdict on how
to get those out of there? I'm talking about the bolts that hold the regulator clamped to the window, mentioned a few posts above. Thanks for any help.
kmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #402
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmyles View Post
So I attempte to replace my regulator today on my drivers side door, and those two bolts made me
call it quits after about 2 hours. So what's the verdict on how
to get those out of there? I'm talking about the bolts that hold the regulator clamped to the window, mentioned a few posts above. Thanks for any help.
Were you able to access them? You have to move the window up and down some to get to them if I recall correctly. The heads on the botls are thin and you need to use a small driver/socket.
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #403
kmyles

My Ride: 01' 325i
Yeah I managed to get to them both, I first tried a regular 8 mm socket, then again with an extension. Then a nut driver and I ended up stripping the head on one somewhat, and couldn't budge the other. The heads are just so shallow. A shop nearby quoted me 125 to replace the regulator so I'm definitely looking to find a way to get these bolts out.
kmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #404
tfoxsf

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmyles View Post
Yeah I managed to get to them both, I first tried a regular 8 mm socket, then again with an extension. Then a nut driver and I ended up stripping the head on one somewhat, and couldn't budge the other. The heads are just so shallow. A shop nearby quoted me 125 to replace the regulator so I'm definitely looking to find a way to get these bolts out.
I had the same issue -- stripped and completely seized. I even drilled three small holes in bolt head and hammered in a slotted screwdriver -- still no luck. After some head scratching, I was able to ziptie the regulator on both sides without removing the bolt. I was able to remove the bolts on the other door to inspect how it was constructed and found out that if you did need to get those bolts out, you could drill out the entire bolt. You wouldn't need to worry about ruining the threaded nut on the back because you can just buy a replacement (it snaps into the glass of the window - red piece)
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #405
orubasarot

My Ride: Car
I just did the same thing you thought of, tfox. Except after I secured everything with my fantastic and indestructible zipties, the plastic brackets decided to:

So now I'm back at the stuck bolt you guys are talking about. If I can't get that thing out, I won't be able to change the regulators, and I'm really not looking forward to paying $200 for this nonsense.

Also does anyone know if there are aftermarket regulators NOT MADE OUT OF PLASTIC? I'm seeing some blurry product pictures online, but I'm not sure.

I never, ever want to replace the drivers window regulator again, ever. If this happens one more time I'm just buying a Caterham.

Last edited by orubasarot; 04-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.
orubasarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #406
orubasarot

My Ride: Car
Stick a knife behind the glass, use a mirror if you need to, and cut off the red plastic tentacles. Make sure to do all of them, and then just push this thing out towards you.

Don't forget to order this replacement along with that new bolt:

http://www.autopartsway.com/autopart...20Sedan~282228

YEAH WHAT NOW, WHAT NOW, YOU CAN'T WINDOW REGULATE DICK, *****, I SLAUGHTERED YOUR ASS

Last edited by orubasarot; 04-28-2010 at 05:40 PM.
orubasarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #407
tfoxsf

My Ride: 2003 325i
I just cried a single tear.... of joy. Well done sir.
tfoxsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #408
killahkay559

My Ride: 2004 330ci
just changed out my driver side today thinking that it was the regulator but instead it was my stupid window button, the window keep going down when i went up and never went back up, but wasnt that hard thanks to the diy
Old 05-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #409
alexramsey

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Silver
Carmax just replaced all four regulators in my car, I'm so happy about this because the windows work well regardless but my mechanic went ahead and replaced them only because they made noise. I guess when they start making noise, they tend to fail soon. So all in all I saved like $600 thanks to the extended warranty.
alexramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #410
mtnman

My Ride: 2004 330 ZHP
This is great! I did this repair this weekend in less than 2 hours, and everything works great. excellent post, pics, and saved me a lot of $. Bravo
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #411
cory58

My Ride: e46 325i / e30 325iC
Great DIY - thanks. I replaced my LR regulator and it was a breeze. One thing I learned that might be helpful to the group - removal of the door panel is a little different than other cars I've worked on. Instead of the top of the panel needing to slide up once the lower connectors have been popped out of the door, the top is also held on by connectors that pop straight out.

The DIY explains the door panel removal correctly. My predisposition from working on other cars is what caused me a few unnecessary minutes of frustration.

Cory
cory58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #412
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory58 View Post
Great DIY - thanks. I replaced my LR regulator and it was a breeze. One thing I learned that might be helpful to the group - removal of the door panel is a little different than other cars I've worked on. Instead of the top of the panel needing to slide up once the lower connectors have been popped out of the door, the top is also held on by connectors that pop straight out.

The DIY explains the door panel removal correctly. My predisposition from working on other cars is what caused me a few unnecessary minutes of frustration.

Cory
Indeed. BMW The "Unique Driving Machine" LOL I found a lot of things different, but somehow it all works.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #413
AK46um

My Ride: 325i 01'
Good looking out elbee!!

My front passenger regulator busted on me and I was fortunate to come across this DIY thread. I replaced my regulator with the aid of the helpful pictures. I actually scored on both OEM front passenger regulators for $60 together. Some guy locally bought the pair new but then his car was totalled.

I wanted to contribute helpful tips that may help others. If already posted then disregard:

1. First call some local dealers to double check if they sell the rumored "steel stamped clip" as opposed to the steel/plastic version kown to break. If the steel version does exist then that would be the perfect solution otherwise...
2. During the modification process, ensure the zip ties are snug with no movement. Ensure clearance as the clip needs to glide up and down the rails with no obstruction.
3. Easy way to remove the 2 bolts that attach the clips to the window- I used a screwdriver accepting removable bits. Unfortunately I don't know the name of the bit I used. It connects to the end of my screwdriver and surrounds the "bolts" all the way around like a wratchet bit would. Anyways I applied pressure pushing into the door while carefully unscrewed the stuborn bolts to ensure no stripping. (loosened in 10 seconds each)
4. My car has tint so I made sure the tinted area was leveled evenly on before putting everything back into place.
5. Perfect time to replace/upgrade door speakers

Last edited by AK46um; 05-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.
AK46um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #414
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Someone may have mentioned this but don't get an aftermarket window regulator. I got one for $65 at ****************** and it broke after two days. I got one from the parts section of a bmw dealer and with a club discount it was the same as it is online. It works better.
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #415
spartanz

My Ride: 328i
Help accidentally unplug my airbag, n now my airbag ligth is on the dash
need a diy for resetting the airbag ligth!!!!??
Some one help....
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #416
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanz View Post
Help accidentally unplug my airbag, n now my airbag ligth is on the dash
need a diy for resetting the airbag ligth!!!!??
Some one help....
Should have disconnected your battery first. Find someone that has an airbag reset tool or...have a nice trip to the dealer.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #417
RUQRU

My Ride: 2001 325iT
THANKS! Replaced the Left Side Regulator

Replaced RIGHT (passenger) side regulator:

I want to thank all the folks on this thread ( and E46 Fanatics ) for the helpful instructions. While my E46 was under warranty I had the window regulators replaced at least 5 times! Now I am not going to pay $130/HR labor to do this relatively easy fix.

Followed all the advice and tips. The hardest part was getting the door lock connector cable reseated. You have to hold the door panel close to the door and figure out how the damn thing snaps back in. Finally got it.

KEY: Disconnect battery to avoid what happened to others! Takes two minutes and a 10 MM socket.

One thing I did was go to the dealer before starting an purchased extra red clips, bolts and door clips in case any of them were broken. Only cost a few bucks but was good insurance. Turns out I did not need them but have them on hand for the next one

My front right (passenger) regulator was completely broken. The window could be moved by hand up and down because both metal barrels were missing so the cable was not attached to the carriers.

It was hot and humid out this morning in FL (pretty normal) so it took about 2.5 hours since I needed a couple of breaks to avoid passing out!

Last edited by RUQRU; 05-24-2010 at 05:52 PM.
RUQRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #418
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQRU View Post

KEY: Disconnect battery to avoid what happened to Rickna and others! Takes two minutes and a 10 MM socket.
This did not happen to me. Just giving advice to others. I'm smarter than that.

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #419
RUQRU

My Ride: 2001 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
This did not happen to me. Just giving advice to others. I'm smarter than that.
Sorry, misread your post. You are clearly referring to others!
RUQRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #420
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQRU View Post
Sorry, misread your post. You are clearly referring to others!
No problem, no harm...

My_Mods_&_Stuff