E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #421
rkilpa

My Ride: '05 330ci ZHP
ONE TOUCH UP or DOWN FIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamannE53 View Post
i just did my front passenger, wish i knew about the ziptie method before, anyways....my "one touch-button" feature doesnt work anymore when the window goes up, but it goes down on the one touch....also...my powerlock on that side stopped working, could it be a fuse....need to reprogram something...or did i just break it =\
Sometimes you need to reset the "one touch" feature:

Press and HOLD DOWN the window button while the window goes down and KEEP HOLDING DOWN the button for about 5 seconds after the window stops moving. Then PULL UP and KEEP HOLDING the button in the UP position for about 5 seconds after the window stops moving. This needs to be done to each window switch that has lost the auto up/down feature. This works for the moonroof, too!

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #422
rkilpa

My Ride: '05 330ci ZHP
raised from the dead

I thought I was replying to a post that was a couple of weeks old....not FOUR YEARS OLD! Didn't see the other 21 pages of replies. My bad!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #423
dino71

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Reconnecting the door latch cable...Help!

Is there some secrete to getting this thing reconnected? I managed to strip off the plastic covering already and just about had it! Can someone please shed some light on this.
dino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #424
logan01

My Ride: 325i 2001
Regulator or Simple zip tie modification??

During last winter my driver side was repaired by an indie shop because the window glass fell into the door & would no longer roll up... ouch was the cost !!

My passenger side window has just dropped into the door !
Should I purchase the window regulator because it no longer rolls up??
logan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #425
jskene

My Ride: E46 M3, K1200RS
You may be able to repair it using the method described.

BMW Individual Avus blue / 3-piece honeycomb grill / bimmerspinner center caps / improved H7 hi-beams / Halon extinguisher / integrated MP3 jukebox / headliner LEDs / left-foot brake pedal/ low-profile front license plate bracket
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #426
Multibimmer

My Ride: 2004 325i
Hello-

This is my first post on this forum. My car (my daughter's, actually) is a pristine 04 325i with 86K miles we just purchased. I have a question about the zip tie fix, and pardon me if it's been asked and answered before:

Since the regulators seem to be a major weak spot on these cars, with failure a seeming inevetibility, can the zip tie method be used as a preventative measure to help prevent a future failure on a regulator that is currently working fine? My concern is that if I wait until they start failing, there is a finite possibility that a badly broken regulator may not be fixable.

Also, if my only goal is to install the zip ties in the vulnerable spots on the regulators, does the regulator still have to be removed?

And finally, does the zip tie trick work on the back regulators, or only the fronts? Thanks.
Multibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #427
jskene

My Ride: E46 M3, K1200RS
Yes, the zip tie fix can be used as a preventative measure, and is advised.

Regarding the rear windows, I have heard that some model years may use a different regulator design. It's not hard to pull the rear door panel of and take a look, after you have done the front windows and know what the regulator looks like.

Or you could browse you year's fiche drawings here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

and see if the front and rear look similar.

BMW Individual Avus blue / 3-piece honeycomb grill / bimmerspinner center caps / improved H7 hi-beams / Halon extinguisher / integrated MP3 jukebox / headliner LEDs / left-foot brake pedal/ low-profile front license plate bracket
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #428
jeffmr

My Ride: 2003 325xi
You have to remove them to put the zip ties in
jeffmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #429
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
Subscribed for future repairs.

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #430
logan01

Are there any suggestion - one of the bolts that holds the brackets to the regulator would not loosen and after several attempts it seems that one or two points of the bolt is either chipped or stripped. I do not want to continue and create more a difficult issue ... HELP!!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #431
logan01

Window regulator braket bolt problem

Are there any suggestion - one of the bolts that holds the brackets to the regulator would not loosen and after several attempts it seems that one or two points of the bolt is either chipped or stripped. I do not want to continue and create more a difficult issue ... HELP!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #432
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Have you tried any type of penetrating oil? I have used Deep-Creep for losening bolts, works great.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #433
Multibimmer

My Ride: 2004 325i
I'm in the process of pre-emptively zip-tying my regulator clips, and I have the vapor barrier off. Looking at the clip where I would attach the zip ties, and comparing to Jerry Skene's write-up, I've noticed several things, which lead to the following questions:

1) The clip assembly on my '04 325i looks different than Jerry's, which is from an '00 328i (no big surprise, I guess). On mine, there is a "third clip", which is located almost exactly where the left black zip tie is shown in the close-up on page 3 of the write-up. My guess is that this clip was added to bolster the thing, but it doesn't seem to have helped much, as the car has gone through three regulators for the previous owner.

2) In reading through this very long thread, I thought I read that it isn't possible to attach the zip ties without removing the regulator. But on my car, if I understand the procedure correctly, it looks like it would be very easy to do that. All it appears l I have to do is move the window to a position where the clip assembly is visible through the holes in the frame, and then thread the zip tie through the hole in the silver-colored metal bracket behind the cable, and wrap it around the cable. I don't understand why anyone would remove the regulator to pre-emptively attach the zip ties (unless you needed to because your reguator was already broken).

OK, I'm on my way to Home Depot to buy some new zip ties. If nobody responds by the time I get back, I'll go ahead and wrap the cables, and hope I'm understanding this correctly. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just saw in Post #309(!) that somebody came to the same conclusion I did. OK, I feel better. This makes the job of pre-emptively zip-tying a regulator truly a piece of cake. Too bad the rears aren't zip-tie-able, or I'd pre-emptively do all four doors.

Last edited by Multibimmer; 07-11-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Multibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #434
JAC

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to JAC
Thanks Elbee for this post, it was very helpful! I fixed mines earlier today and I have to mention that I am a female. It was scary, but so easy! So, if I can do it anyone can! I have seen the zip tie trick in another site/video also, but with more details and with it all combined it was a lot more helpful.

I also figured out cutting a few steps - without having to remove the airbag and regulator. After already fixing it, I notice I did the same thing that post #433 did and he also referred to post #309 who also came across the same conclusion! I was too excited and went straight to it after reading the actual post and only scanned through the first few replies to see if it worked for others since there were so many replies! Crazy how I found out the tiny shortcuts when I was getting ready to give up, because I was too afraid of removing the airbag! But then again, I got lucky I didn't have to take the regulator out, it could be a different situation for others!

Overall, it saved me hundreds of $!!! Let's see how long this zip tie success will last for!
JAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #435
dew

My Ride: 330i
will this work on the rear window 2?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #436
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew View Post
will this work on the rear window 2?
The zip tie fix doesn't work on the rears. You will need a new assembly for the rears.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #437
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC View Post
Thanks Elbee for this post, it was very helpful! I fixed mines earlier today and I have to mention that I am a female. It was scary, but so easy! So, if I can do it anyone can! I have seen the zip tie trick in another site/video also, but with more details and with it all combined it was a lot more helpful.

I also figured out cutting a few steps - without having to remove the airbag and regulator. After already fixing it, I notice I did the same thing that post #433 did and he also referred to post #309 who also came across the same conclusion! I was too excited and went straight to it after reading the actual post and only scanned through the first few replies to see if it worked for others since there were so many replies! Crazy how I found out the tiny shortcuts when I was getting ready to give up, because I was too afraid of removing the airbag! But then again, I got lucky I didn't have to take the regulator out, it could be a different situation for others!

Overall, it saved me hundreds of $!!! Let's see how long this zip tie success will last for!
So glad to hear that another female e46 owner attempted this and succeeded!

Please post the link to the video. I'm sure it will help others as well!

Last edited by elbee; 07-31-2010 at 08:01 PM.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #438
peddlerp

My Ride: 330i
August 2010

I replaced the rear passenger regulator yesterday per all the instructions here, much better then my Bentley manual. I felt so good about rear, I decided to do the front Zip tie fix... I had a couple of problems getting the window bolt off and on, but the whole process was successful. Thanks to all of you have gone before me and shared all of your work.
peddlerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #439
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Hey guys. I did my front regulator. However the window glass doesn't retract all the way down. It has about a 1cm lip sticking out and makes a rattling sound when I close the door. Is there a proper procedure to how to get the window to sit in the right spot? Thanks!
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #440
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee View Post
So glad to hear that another female e46 owner attempted this and succeeded!

Please post the link to the video. I'm sure it will help others as well!

Hey elbee,

I loaded your DIY into my iPhone and it was very helpful in accomplishing the drivers regulator.

Thanks for posting!!!
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote