E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #441
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdsl View Post
Hey guys. I did my front regulator. However the window glass doesn't retract all the way down. It has about a 1cm lip sticking out and makes a rattling sound when I close the door. Is there a proper procedure to how to get the window to sit in the right spot? Thanks!
I had a clunk and a rattle in my driver door after I did this DIY.
I unbelievably left a small screwdriver inside the door.
Could something have dropped inside??
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #442
JG4

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdsl View Post
Hey guys. I did my front regulator. However the window glass doesn't retract all the way down. It has about a 1cm lip sticking out and makes a rattling sound when I close the door. Is there a proper procedure to how to get the window to sit in the right spot? Thanks!
Obviously the red clip that connects the window to the regulator hasn't sat properly. This is a critical step that gave me headaches this last weekend when I did both front regulators. The red clip must sit outside the metal carrier of the regulator (and not between the carrier and the rest of the regulator's body). This clip has a little lip that must sit inside the round hole of the metal carrier. The screw must sit inside the open hole which lies just above. To do all this properly you must loosen completely the screw that connects the red clip to the window. I am not sure how to describe this better in words. I did both regulators and the windows function perfectly.

I also took the chance to apply some dynamat panels inside the doors for noise insulation and what I got as a bonus is a significant improvement in the sound I am getting from the crappy BMW front speakers. Go figure...
JG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #443
StKittsBimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
So my son was playing with the right rear window and it happened to break when he was using it. I panicked and called BMW. They couldn't get me in for 6 days. I didn't want to drive around with an open window (of course I had pushed the window all the way down - will remember not to do that the next time) so I took a chance and looked on this site for DIY instructions. Just wanted to give props to Elbee. Awesome write-up as many have already said. My experience differed a little from the write-up only in that it was the right rear window. There was no air bag in my 2001 330xi. The metal carrier was all the way down so I didn't know where to look for that 8mm bolt that needed the socket extension. Also, I couldn't move my window up at all, so I loosened the bolts to the regulator and luckily I was then able to move the window up enough to recognize the 8mm bolt and the red clip that attaches to the end of the window. In the rear door, there's no need to line up the holes in the door with the 8mm bolt. Also, the motor in my case was held tight in the regulator because the cable had wrapped itself around it multiple times. I wasn't sure why it was so hard to twist the motor off the regulator as there was no indication on the post that it would be that difficult.

I also found it hard to get the 8mm bolt back into the carrier without dropping it a million times. I resorted to using a small magnet (actually one from an old window shutter) to guide it into position before using the socket extension to tighten it. Overall a very easy fix. It took me 2 hours but should be much faster the next time round.

Thanks again.

Can't believe this thread is still active after 4+ years.

Last edited by StKittsBimmer; 08-10-2010 at 11:28 PM.
StKittsBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #444
CShell

My Ride: Cait
Send a message via AIM to CShell
Nice write up... Rear driver window shot!
CShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #445
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG4 View Post
Obviously the red clip that connects the window to the regulator hasn't sat properly. This is a critical step that gave me headaches this last weekend when I did both front regulators. The red clip must sit outside the metal carrier of the regulator (and not between the carrier and the rest of the regulator's body). This clip has a little lip that must sit inside the round hole of the metal carrier. The screw must sit inside the open hole which lies just above. To do all this properly you must loosen completely the screw that connects the red clip to the window. I am not sure how to describe this better in words. I did both regulators and the windows function perfectly.

I also took the chance to apply some dynamat panels inside the doors for noise insulation and what I got as a bonus is a significant improvement in the sound I am getting from the crappy BMW front speakers. Go figure...
Thanks, I'll try to re-seat it again. Stupid windows...
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #446
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
Ok so I tried to zip tie mine and I FAILED, Now im waiting on the regulator to come, right before i put every thing back, the air bag cable got off and the light is on , Any fix for the air bag light. Please help
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #447
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Addict View Post
Ok so I tried to zip tie mine and I FAILED, Now im waiting on the regulator to come, right before i put every thing back, the air bag cable got off and the light is on , Any fix for the air bag light. Please help

Tischer (www.getBMWparts.com) has brand new OEM regulators for $90.00 on sale now.

The airbag light needs a special tool. It is different than a code reading tool. You'll need to go to the dealer or an indy who can reset the light. No other way. You need the tool.

Next time you do the regulator, disconnect the NEG terminal and once reconnected at the end of the repair, WAIT at least 10 minutes before starting the car. This will prven the airbag light from illuminating.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #448
violence

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Tischer (www.getBMWparts.com) has brand new OEM regulators for $90.00 on sale now.

The airbag light needs a special tool. It is different than a code reading tool. You'll need to go to the dealer or an indy who can reset the light. No other way. You need the tool.

Next time you do the regulator, disconnect the NEG terminal and once reconnected at the end of the repair, WAIT at least 10 minutes before starting the car. This will prven the airbag light from illuminating.
I don't see that price, link?
violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #449
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by violence View Post
I don't see that price, link?

Go to "www.getBMW Parts.com"

Click on "BMW Accessories/Specials"

Click on "E46 Fanatics"

Page through the 5 pages or so (the order seems ot change) until you come across the OEM window regulators.
OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #450
kolian78

My Ride: 325i 2002
Thank you , my window failed today,fixed it with this method ,works now
kolian78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #451
jpainter187

My Ride: '99 E46
I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. The drivers side window regulator went out today... Time to start searching online and see who has the best price. But first I'll crack it open and see if the zip tie thing will work for me.

Last edited by jpainter187; 08-21-2010 at 01:16 PM.
jpainter187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #452
jpainter187

Yep. The ziptie trick worked. Much cheaper than buying a new window regulator!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #453
isherdholi

My Ride: 2001 Topaz Blue 320i
I followed this guide on the passenger's side window of my RHD car (in the UK). The zip tie method worked perfectly, thank you so much!!
isherdholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #454
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
Great DIY.

Did this yesterday to my drivers side door. My problem was one of the screws holding the window to the regulator was loose, causing the window to go down uneven.

Figured I add the zip-ties as pm. Took me a little over 2 hours, taking my time. Next door will be much quicker now.

As an added bonus, I thought my upper tweeter speaker was blown (hadn't worked since I got the car). When I peeled off the vapor barrier there it was, just hanging there. So now my window functions properly and my tunes sound better
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #455
gsbmw

My Ride: 2000 323i
Another good maker of quality regulators appears to be Dorman (and less expensive than BMW and Tischer it appears). I haven't used them myself yet (I used the ziptie method), but may give them a try when the time comes. Here is a short discussion of them:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...man+regulators

You can also buy them at Amazon. For example, here is one for the front drivers side ($57.13 and free shipping as of date of this writing):
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Solutio...2559347&sr=1-3

The Dormans apparently come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Last edited by gsbmw; 08-23-2010 at 06:37 AM.
gsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #456
jpainter187

Well I'm disappointed! The zip tie trick (a total of 4 on both cable stops) on the drivers door allowed me to roll my window up and down a total of 3 1/2 times. Meaning the last time I tried rolling my window back up from about the half way point I heard the housing for the cable stop snap.

Instead of buying a new window regulator I ordered some of these (even for the windows that haven't failed me yet) to see how long they will last: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #457
STEWARTD1

Does this zip tie repair apply to rear windows also??
STEWARTD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #458
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWARTD1 View Post
No.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #459
matchee

My Ride: 2000 328i
I just want to thank elbee and everyone that posted in this thread. My driverside rear door quit yesterday morning on the way to work. On my way home from work I stopped by the parts store and picked up a regulator and some torx tools. One hour later I was done and my window works great. This morning was a massive rainstorm so I'm sure glad i had the info in this thread showing me step by step and what tools I would need or i never would've got it done.

Thanks again,

matchee
matchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #460
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWARTD1

No.

----
How about coupes? Are the instructions by the OP the same for a passenger side coupe door?

Just the other day I was rolling down the window and heard a click/crack. After that it still seems to work totally normally though ( I tried it up/down several times).

I mmediately thought "window regulator!" after reading about them all the time on here, haha! It seems that side failure may be imminent (unless it was something else that caused the noise). My car is very low mileage so it seems a pity to fail like that if it indeed does.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote