E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #521
gembob

My Ride: 02 325i
So I tried the zip tie fix with no problems, still got the crunching sounds - so I replaced the regulator, still have the same crunching sounds and slow window speed - any other advice on what to look for? The red clips on the window itself seem to be in-tact, I can't figure out what's going on. Can i unhook the motor and try to run it when it's free from the regulator, to see if it crunches while spinning? The window does move, just slow and with that terrible noise. I don't know if this would screw things up or not running the motor when its not hooked into the regulator. Any help is appreciated.....
gembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #522
Adepino

My Ride: 325i
Mine is doing the same exact thing... I zip tied it and it still crunches up and down... I did remove the motor and ran it open, mine didn't do anything abnormal and made no odd noises... So removed the regulator again and manually moved the sliders back and forth and I could hear the noise only inside the white plastic gear that hooks to the motor when it us assembled... U have to move the slider some what fast to hear it... I hasn't fixed it yet but all I can figure is that it needs to be replaced.. But u said u did that. Did u buy a brand new one from BMW? Or was is aftermarket?
Adepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #523
gembob

Mine was aftermarket, and not OEM - which was a bad decision. I'm currently in the process of trying to return both the one I installed and the other one I ordered for the passenger window. I was having the same issues as you, I could hear the old regulator crunching when it was out of the door and i manually moved the gliders up and down, but didn't hear them on the new one - but once I tried to roll the window up or down sounded just like the broken regulator. I have no idea what's going on, I'm going to try to inspect it more tonite....
Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #524
Yassoon

My Ride: 325i
Where did you order it from and how much?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #525
gembob

I got it from ******************.com for $52.26 ea. They carry the Dorman ones, but seem to be a lot more pricey than you can get on amazon. What are opinions on the Dorman regulators vs. OEM? Also, has anyone ever attempted to get something replaced under Dormans 'Lifetime Limited Warranty'? I was actually given RMAs on both the regulators I ordered today so am going to send them back. They didn't mesh up well, would have required farrrrr too much work to get them in place and set properly.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #526
gembob

Hmm - it was auto parts warehouse DOT com that i got it from
Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #527
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
I gave up on the zip ties a long time ago, I continue to use these plastic replacement clips off eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

It takes a little while for them to come in from overseas, but they work perfectly. This is a much better solution than the zip tie and a much cheaper solution than buying a whole new regulator. Here is some more information from a thread I posted a couple years ago:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=707559

NicB.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #528
gembob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicB. View Post
I gave up on the zip ties a long time ago, I continue to use these plastic replacement clips off eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

It takes a little while for them to come in from overseas, but they work perfectly. This is a much better solution than the zip tie and a much cheaper solution than buying a whole new regulator. Here is some more information from a thread I posted a couple years ago:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=707559

NicB.
So when you buy the new clips you don't reinforce with zip ties, just the clips themselves?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #529
gembob

Reinforced clips

So has anyone ever tried filling in the part of the clip that the little steel cylinder on the cable fits into with something like liquid plastic? http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Pl...155/index.html

Wondering if that would mess things up or if it could reinforce the strength and integrity of the clips?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full page photo.pdf (51.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #530
NicB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gembob View Post
So when you buy the new clips you don't reinforce with zip ties, just the clips themselves?
Just the clips themselves, I feel like the zip ties cinch the cable too tightly and put undue stress on the cable mechanism. I bet most of you with zip ties still hear odd creaking noises when you operate the window. You can all try to deny it, but I won't believe since I've tried the zip tie method numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gembob View Post
So has anyone ever tried filling in the part of the clip that the little steel cylinder on the cable fits into with something like liquid plastic? http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Pl...155/index.html

Wondering if that would mess things up or if it could reinforce the strength and integrity of the clips?
This is a very good question, I would have been willing to try this had I thought about it when I had my window apart a couple days ago. In theory, that should work.

Last edited by NicB.; 07-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
NicB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #531
gembob

This is a very good question, I would have been willing to try this had I thought about it when I had my window apart a couple days ago. In theory, that should work.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'll give it a shot and let people know how it works out. Anyone see any disadvantages I'm not thinking of? i don't want to break a new regulator right away.....
Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #532
CharlieFoxtrot

My Ride: 02 330CiC, 97 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee View Post

5. On the armrest you will either have a window control, a side mirror control, or a blank plug. (On my passenger side I have a blank plug). This will need to be removed. On the driver's side I was able to use a screwdriver with a very thin tip to remove it without any problems. On the passenger side, this blank plug was very deep in the hole and the screwdriver was not working. I could see that if I really forced the screwdriver in there it would have damaged the leather. Not really knowing what to do, I started looking around the house for something I could use to get this plug out. I tried this Wustoff carrot peeler and it worked great! No damage to the leather. I think any peeler in this basic shape should do the trick. You might also want to try removing the plug at the other end if you are having trouble. Sometimes removing the plug on the side that is higher up the arm is a little easier. If you have a window control or a mirror control in this spot, once you get it out disconnect the wires that are attached to it. Put the control in a safe spot:

Great call on the peeler! My 02 330 convertible door card is a bit different, but I faced the same problem removing the silver-painted plastic plug from the matching silver-painted plastic trim. My wife doesn't have a peeler like yours, but I found a candy thermometer with a clip to hold it onto the pot. It's like a giant pocket clip on a pen, and it's removable. It removed the plug without any damage to the plug or the clip!

thanks!
kevin
CharlieFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #533
RonnieB330

My Ride: 330i & S2000
Just did this on my front passenger door, and now the auto up won't work. It's smooth going down, and just a tad slow going up, but only the auto up won't work. Any ideas on why? Auto down works fine btw. Thanks
RonnieB330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #534
napaxcon

Zip ties worked for for mine only about 2 weeks if you can look around you can find the clips for $5 a piece but there all plastic and wont last very long try greasing the zip ties so the wire doesnt shred thru it so quick
napaxcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #535
NicB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napaxcon View Post
Zip ties worked for for mine only about 2 weeks if you can look around you can find the clips for $5 a piece but there all plastic and wont last very long try greasing the zip ties so the wire doesnt shred thru it so quick
My plastic replacement pieces have lasted about 2 years on average. Definitely worth the $5 IMHO.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #536
Jarchuleta03

My Ride: 2003 325i
thanks for this post just helped me out a ton. i have to order a new regulator as the cable was all bunched up in the gear.
Jarchuleta03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #537
napaxcon

My front passenger side window went completely dead the other day. while it was down. I took the door apart zip tied the clip on the right noticed the flip on the left was busted to so i did that one.. whent to put the window up and all the zipties snapped instantly . now the problem with this is as the window was going up the clip on the left somehow must have not been in the right position so it got crooked as it was pulled up the rail and eventually turned so much it snapped the hooks on the clip off. i jd welled it back together did the zipties again. they snapped again so now my window is resting in the up position and could fall at any moment. maybe a pot hole will kill it who knows. All i know is i ordered two sets of clips for both front doors and i will be taking the regulator out this time to make sure its perfect. im sick of rigging stuff, it never last. Screw the damn zipties and just buy the pieces. !
napaxcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #538
BMW86

My Ride: BMW
Excellent DIY writeup.

I am doing the rear left regulator an am having trouble removing or loosening this screw that is affixed to the glass. I have tried using a drill and now the screws edges are worn so it's too small for an 8mm and too big for a 7mm. I've tried using WD-40 to help it loosen a bit with no success. I have tried prying it off with flat head screw driver and almost every tool possible but it's on too tight. I have also broken off the regulator to give myself more room to work with.

For some reason I am not unable to upload a photo. I think because I'm a new member.
BMW86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #539
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
@BMW86
Once that bolt is stripped like that.. You will need to use a dremel with a 1" cutting disc to slice a "slot" into the old bolt and get a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #540
JAYJAY_325i

My Ride: 04 325I BMW
Send a message via Yahoo to JAYJAY_325i
Try drilling a hole with a drill bit about the size of the screws base. Then buy some easy-outs bits from sears and use a small hand held drill to extract. Remember to go really slow so bit will grip better.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer
JAYJAY_325i is online now   Reply With Quote