E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #641
2002E46NH

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm23 View Post
Aaaargh! I did my right rear regulator last year with no problems. Now I'm in the middle of doing the right front.... with a definite problem.

This one wasn't as messed up as the right rear so I went with the ziptie approach instead of buying a new unit. I had one broken part on one plastic clip but went ahead and ziptied both sides of both clips as shown in the DIYs.

I've got enough bits and pieces back together to test things. With the window unattached, the carrier pieces move up and down as they should. But with the window attached, the motor runs out of steam with the window about 60% of the way up. It slows down, is obviously straining, then just stops. Also, note that it is pretty difficult for me to physically push the window (when not attached to the regulator) all the way up. The DIY says to tape it in place so it doesn't fall while you're removing/installing the regulator...... no way I need to do that. It's a tight friction fit up there as it is!

So I'm thinking the motor may be going out and is weak, but, since it's so hard for me to get the window all the way up by pushing it manually, I'm also thinking something else might be wrong there. I've installed/uninstalled/reinstalled everything twice now and can't see anything that might be interfering with the window's path. Suggestions?

By the way, it's an '02 325i with about 56k miles.
Did anyone find a solution to this? I am having the same dificulty.

Thanks,
2002E46NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #642
Cowbruin

My Ride: 2002 325 convertible
So I was hoping to do the zip tie fix and it turns out one of the pulley's that the cables ride on was cracked in half. I assume a new regulator is the only solution. This is for a convertible if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any help.
Cowbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #643
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
To the last three posters: I did the zip tie method on my drivers side Window. It worked but as some have reported the window was slower going up then the others. This method lasted for almost a year before I started having problems again. Opened it up and the zip tie (and metal wire I used) were still intact. Seems like the is on its way out. I went on Rockauto.com and picked up a new regulator with motor for $62. Been in for around 6 months now with no problems. And window speed going up and down is equal to the rest.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #644
Cowbruin

My Ride: 2002 325 convertible
Ok, I have a new window regulator ready to install. Looking for some help on a couple of parts that "fell off" while I was taking out the old regulator. Hopefully the image shows up. I know where the bottom 2 items go, top left goes in same area, however not sure exactly how it installs. I have no idea what the top right item is. Please note my car is a convertible, and this is on the driver's door. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sault Ste. Marie-20130913-00064.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	526437  
Cowbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #645
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbruin View Post
Ok, I have a new window regulator ready to install. Looking for some help on a couple of parts that "fell off" while I was taking out the old regulator. Hopefully the image shows up. I know where the bottom 2 items go, top left goes in same area, however not sure exactly how it installs. I have no idea what the top right item is. Please note my car is a convertible, and this is on the driver's door. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in adance
Go to : http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Punch in last 7 of vin for seriel no. Then go to vehicle trim sections for door parts inside ,maybe that will help .
Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #646
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Just finished drivers front regulator thank you OP wherever you are!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #647
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Hey guys, I can't get the white clip undone. How do I remove it?

Solution: it pulls UP(towards the outside of the car) not out.

Finished this up on my 2001 325xi rear passengers side. Got an OEM regulator from pelican parts for $58! The plastic circle piece on the bottom of my old regulator snapped in half and the cord obviously became super messed up. New part when in and it's like new. Good quality part, and it came lubed up.

Just for reference, I did not have rear air bags in my doors, and I did not have that mystery part the OP has. Made the install a piece of cake.

Also I seem to have lost the functionality of the one touch up from the rear switch itself. Works fine from the front switch. One touch down works. Is one touch up an option for the rear switch itself? My drivers side rear window was broken by a stupid drunk girl so I can't check that one

Last edited by TR4G-; 09-28-2013 at 05:18 PM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #648
Shakman83

My Ride: E46 330d and R33 GTR
Problems with driver side window

I own a 2002 E46 330d. I changed the window regulator last week and the window was working fine for ONE DAY. I opened it up again and couldn't see anything that was broken. I removed the motor and hey presto the metal wire was jammed inside the teeth of the motor.

I rang the shop I got the regulator from and he said not to worry another regulator Was in the post for me. GREAT!!

I received the regulator the next day and when I opened it I was surprised. They had included the motor and regulator. I stripped the door immediately and fitted the new regulator which also had the motor attached. Once in I connected the connector on to the motor and the window worked for a few seconds then stopped.

I checked everything was in its place and all seemed fine . I checked the fuses and I HAD BLOWN THE FUSE.

I changed the fuse and the window still didn't work. And still not working.

I thought that it might be the switch near the gearshift so I ordered a new switch. Got this today and fitted but still nothing. If I put power directly to the motor the window goes up and down perfectly. I can't figure out what it is. The fuse is fine and all the other fuses are fine. Please help.
Shakman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #649
ijoelpod

Hi Im new here, I just took out my window regulator on the front driver side and the pieces where you would zip tie are fine so no easy solution for me. I now don't know what the issue is. The window was always slow and hesitant to go up and down. Today while trying to put it up it just stopped 3 inches from the top. It would go back down fine but never up past a certain point. Is it the motor? Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some shots....The only thing that looks weird is is the plastic piece and metal on one of the spools looks jammed together but IDK.

ijoelpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #650
ijoelpod

Bump.......No one has any thoughts on this? I really need some help!
ijoelpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #651
Frenchee

My Ride: 03 ZHP Imola/Alcanta
Can anyone tell me if the piece that breaks is metal or plastic?
Thanks
Frenchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #652
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
Re: Front window regulator DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchee View Post
Can anyone tell me if the piece that breaks is metal or plastic?
Thanks
In every regulator I've had to replace (E46 and non E46) the piece that broke was plastic.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
JDez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #653
Ct323

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I've been putting this off for too long. Both my drivers side windows have issues, slow up and down, creaking noises, out of synch, etc.

Yesterday when closing my drivers die door I heard a piece crack and fall. Now, the part of the window closest to center beam seems extremely lose. I can hear the plastic piece loose in the door as well.

MY question:

Will the zip tie trick still work?

Will I need new plastic clips to do this?

Should I just replace the regulator also?
Ct323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #654
Burn24_Rider

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct323 View Post
Will the zip tie trick still work?

Will I need new plastic clips to do this?

Should I just replace the regulator also?
Really pretty hard to say without opening the door up... From my experience, having just done all 4 of my windows which were some degree of broken or leaking, I would first: open up any door that has issues (watch video for airbag proceedure, be careful. Bavarian Auto has good videos of the process), remove and inspect the window clips, regulators & motors to see if you can zip-tie reinforce or need to replace the regulator, inspect vapor barrier and sticky goo. Pull out the bad parts, tape the window up, put airbag & door skin back on, and order the parts you actually need, then finish up next week, just deal with the window taped up for the week-windows' broken anyway.

I did this:

- Replaced all the window clips, they're cheap and easy.
- This zip tie trick will only work if the regulator hasn't failed. I would mostly consider this either preventative maintenance or repair of a recently broken windows. For me, they were broken when I bought the car: The regulators had bound up, cables kinked, and started jamming/stripping the gears and it's all messed up, no salvaging my regulators. The zip-tie reinforcement was not my issue on 2, though I did zip-tie new regulators and the other 2 older regulators.
- 2 of my doors were missing vapor barriers, the 3rd was torn, and the 4th was miraculously OK.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #655
ijoelpod

Just installed my new regulator and nothing. won't move at all now. When i push the button it makes a clicking noise. I can't even clip the glass into the regulator without power to bring the brackets up. Any suggestions? Here is a link to the video that shoes me trying to raise and lower the regulator and the noise that takes place.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #656
rkreimer10

My Ride: 2001 325i
subd
rkreimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #657
n0kian

My Ride: 2002 325XI
OP - Awesome DIY! Made my drivers side front regulator so easy to install!
n0kian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #658
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Replaced original DS regulator with new Uro. Terrific DIY make the job very easy. THANKS!!
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #659
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Before installing the new regulator zip tie it so it will hold longer.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #660
APKhaos

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbmr3 View Post
Before installing the new regulator zip tie it so it will hold longer.
There's more than one failing mode for the regulator. In my case the crimped lugs on the cable had failed so the glass brackets were slipping. Zip tie does not fix that problem.
APKhaos is offline   Reply With Quote