E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #81
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
what number is it? 2?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #82
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle e46 View Post
what number is it? 2?
Yes, looks like that to me. Parts 2,3 and 4 all go together to hold the window in place.
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #83
locutus

My Ride: BMW 325xi
Two weeks ago I did this repair to both of my front windows. The passenger side worked until last thursday, until I heard a grinding and then the window would no longer go up or down. I figured the zipties must have broken off, but when I took the door panels off I discovered the cable was sticking out of the side of the spool between the spool and the metal, and the cable had come off of the smaller spools as well. It was a mess. My work is next door to a BWM dealer, so I went next store and just bought a whole new regulator. I was expecting to pay over $100 for it based on the posts I read here, but it was only $83, and since I work for a leasing company who has an account there, it only ended up being $61. So if you are needing to purchase a new regulator, you might want to shop around.
locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #84
The Jiveman

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jiveman View Post
... Apparently, the regulator itself is still fine. However, there is a plastic piece that connects the regulator directly to the window glass, and this plastic thing broke....they ended up using some high-strength glue to fix this plastic piece...
THE GOOD NEWS: that "glue-job" is still holding up, and my rear right window has been working fine so far.

THE BAD NEWS: My front passenger window started making clicking noises when it's being lowered. Ahhhh, great.. fix one up, the next one is about to die!! $#%^$%$#

Anyways, the window goes up and down, seals without problems, etc. The CLICK noise is not constant, and it would happen, let's say, 3-4 times total during the entire time that the window takes to be lowered down [almost] completely. Also, I see that it makes somewhat of a tilt (slight) while it's lowered but then it jumps back on track.

What do you guys think? Zip-tie fix (since it's at front this time)? Or more serious than that?
The Jiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #85
tofupunx

My Ride: 2000 328i SP
Mine is doing the same thing... haven't had time to look at it though.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #86
jskene

My Ride: E46 M3, K1200RS
My advice, same as in my original post on my zip tie fix, is to zip tie all windows, before the clips break.

As you can see, this is a pretty common problem. BMW certaily dropped the ball on this one. (Maybe I should send them a case of zip ties ).

BMW Individual Avus blue / 3-piece honeycomb grill / bimmerspinner center caps / improved H7 hi-beams / Halon extinguisher / integrated MP3 jukebox / headliner LEDs / left-foot brake pedal/ low-profile front license plate bracket
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #87
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
the bolts connecting the window to the regular are so shallow and tight! anyone got it them out correctly? how do i removed stripped bolts?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #88
mpappas

My Ride: 2001 320i
dont want to sound stupid, but I read the diy and i understand taking it all apart but what do you do with the zip ties on the regulator, there was nothing said about what to do once you have it apart, i am a little bit confused, and my drivers side front window goes down fine but on the way up it struggles very slowly and I need to help it up, is this even the regulator?
mpappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #89
jskene

My Ride: E46 M3, K1200RS
As per my original instuctions, here,

http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/index.html

you secure the cable to the window bracket with the zip ties, as shown in the following photo. This keeps the metal clip that is crimped onto the cable from slipping out of the bracket.

BMW Individual Avus blue / 3-piece honeycomb grill / bimmerspinner center caps / improved H7 hi-beams / Halon extinguisher / integrated MP3 jukebox / headliner LEDs / left-foot brake pedal/ low-profile front license plate bracket
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #90
kmurstig

My Ride: 99' 328i sedan
Thanks for all the info!

Wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread. I did front passenger and rear driver side this past week. My rear one broke and window went down, the front one was making impending doom noises. The rear window was simple, the hardest part is getting the foam off. Front passenger was a little harder but only because of the airbag. All in all everything turned out great and my windows work. Again, thank you all, if it wasn't for the forum, I really doubt I would have attempted it..

Thanks,
Keith Murstig
kmurstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #91
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
Hopefully people are still reading this many pages into the thread and can answer my question without me having to start a new thread.

Ok, so this weekend I delved into this DIY since my front right window has been making that god awful scratching noise. I got it all apart and got the whole regulator contraption out of the door and inspected the little plastic slider clip thing that the cable goes through and people have been applying zip ties to. One of them was fine (the front one) and the back one just had a slight crack right in same spot that Skene's DIY pic shows.

So anyways, I applied the zip ties to both locations on both of these slider clip things. I put everything I needed to back together to test the window however, ....same problem. In fact, the sreeching and scratching now seems worse and there are now a couple of popping noises as I move the window up/down. that I didn't have before. As I said, there was only a small crack in one of the plastic clips and the little metal crimp on the cable seemed to stay in place well. I should also note that my cable seems in good shape (this is a '99) and the pulleys look fine (as opposed to some other posters who have reported problems in these areas)

So, what is everyone's opinion? Do you think I need a new motor, a new regulator contraption or do you think I botched the zip tie fix? I'll also note that the noise is coming from the front end of the door which is where the motor is and it's also the end that has the plastic clip which looks just fine on mine (as opposed to the slightly broken rear clip)

Thoughts?
Thx
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #92
elbee

My Ride: 2001 325I Sedan
If both clips of the regulator are zip tied and it is still making a noise I would suggest getting a new regulator. Start there and if it still persists then maybe someone more skilled than myself could give you some insight.

Last edited by elbee; 11-13-2006 at 08:08 PM.
elbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #93
vert

EWEIS - I think you need a new regulator which your dealer has for about $90 or $70 with CCA discount. I fixed one regulator on my car with a zip tie without a problem recently. Then my friend's regulator broke and we tried the zip tie fix only to find the same noises you are describing after putting most stuff together. Went to the dealer, picked up the new regulator and installed it - everything worked perfectly after that. So the zip tie fix is definitely not for everybody, but is worth a shot. The one i fixed on my car is holding up very well still.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #94
vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee View Post
If both clips of the regulator are zip tied and it is still making a noise I would suggest getting a new regulator. Start there and if it still persists then maybe someone more skilled than myself could give you some insight.
If i read his post correctly, he did zip tie in both locations (i.e. 4 zip ties all together). So i think he just needs to get the new regulator.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #95
eweis

Thanks for the input folks. I guess the concensus is: new regulator. I'll go ahead and get one ordered today.

Looks like pelicanparts.com is about the best deal including shipping (free). Let me know if there's a better source.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #96
chrisatl

My Ride: 330i
Just order window regulator from circlebmw.com for $71 each!!! Will replace mine this weekend. Thanks for diy guys!!!!
chrisatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 PM   #97
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbee View Post
Hi Jim,
I am sorry this happened. I never disconnected the airbag so I didn't have the same experience. Did this happen even though the battery was unplugged? In other words, was there anytime the airbag was unplugged and the battery was connected. I am just curious, because Ritchie unplugged his airbag and didn't seem to have a problem. I have seen threads where people have talked about the reset tool. You should be able to find one.
I am just gonna piggyback on this statement. My airbag light came on while the baterry was still connected. What woudbe the best course of action to fix this without purchasing a reset tool.

Rey
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #98
reynaldo

i purchased a driver side window regulator and after 2 days, the cables got all tangled up inside the cylinder. I surely will return this to Bavarina auto for refund. BTW I coud not wait for xchange so i bought one in te dealership for 90 bucks.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #99
reynaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaldo View Post
can somebody tell me why the driver side will not raise up but it goes down when i press the console window button?
bad regulator. thats what happened to mein the beginning and finay quit on me. i replaced the regulator purchased from the dealer and it is perfecty fine like brand new. so smooth raising up and down.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #100
eweis

On the regulator I'm replacing, there is some sort of grease all over the regulator. I assume people are therefore re-applying grease to their new regulator. If so, what type of grease is recommended? (I think I have a can of lithium based grease =good?) Or, is there maybe a grease packet included with the replacement part??