E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
bmwriddle

My Ride: 325ci
Arrow What The Best Tire Alignment For Autocrossing

I just got new tires and rims and i want to know the best tire Alignment specs. I am soon going to be a lot of autocrossing (Fast street cources like F1 racing) with my friend that has a S2000. He has UK specs for it witch allow the car to corner faster without skreeching the tires. Does anybody no the UK specs for a 2002 325ci.
bmwriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Marshall

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I believe negative 5 degrees camber would work well for you, and you could also drive the street.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
gokcer

My Ride: 323Ci Sports Package
Autox is almost never fast. Around here they design courses so people cant shift pass 2nd gear to protect drivers and course workers.
(Lucky to hit 60mph)

I wouldnt get a speacial alignment just for autox since most lost time will be due to driver error. Improve your skills first to match your cars stock configuration after that improve the car. Most drivers over drive their car and cars actually handle better than drivers skills to control them.

You can just hand your car to one of the AutoX instructors. YOu will see that your times will be alot slower than theirs, once you match their time then you think about improving the car.

Bright-Red 323ci 5sp. Sports + Premium + Homemade K&N intake box. --> DIY Instructions
Also for single fanatics try My 100% Free dating service - TownsBestSingles.com
New House Tool 4 in 1 Mortgage & Tax Savings Calculator for home buyers

Last edited by gokcer; 04-19-2006 at 09:22 PM.
gokcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
Believe gokcer - however, if you really want to diddle ith your alignment, just ask to have it done at the minimum toe and maximum camver that are still within the spec range.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Roughly -3* camber in the front, -2* in the rear.

Some toe out in the front, around ~1/8" I'd say.

Maximum caster.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Jspeed

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I believe negative 5 degrees camber would work well for you, and you could also drive the street.
Please don't give out misinformation. -5* camber would destroy your tires on the street. People don't even run that much negative camber on the track. Most camber plates won't even give you -5*.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed
People don't even run that much negative camber on the track. Most camber plates won't even give you -5*.
Some race teams do...
My GC camber plates gave me roughly -3* at their max. Ofcourse I don't run that much on the street.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Roughly -3* camber in the front, -2* in the rear.

Some toe out in the front, around ~1/8" I'd say.

Maximum caster.
If you are going to use your alignment for street driving as well and not have it re-aligned after the autocross, I would consider going with zero toe in the front as that will decrease tire wear a bit. I would use a little bit of toe-in for the rear (~1/8"). I do agree with -3 to -3.5 degrees in the front and about a degree less than this in the rear (-2 to -2.5 degrees).

All this is assuming you have adjustable camber plates in the front. If you don't, you will be limited in how much negative camber you can run. The stock struts don't have a lot of room for adjustment.

I would also add - Ground Control coilovers rock. I have them and am more than happy with them.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
I would go with gokcer's advice.

I run -1.5 at all four corners. Nothing too drastic yet.

And yes, -5 degrees camber is ridiculous to recommend for both autoX and street.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokcer
Autox is almost never fast. Around here they design courses so people cant shift pass 2nd gear to protect drivers and course workers.
(Lucky to hit 60mph)

I wouldnt get a speacial alignment just for autox since most lost time will be due to driver error. Improve your skills first to match your cars stock configuration after that improve the car. Most drivers over drive their car and cars actually handle better than drivers skills to control them.

You can just hand your car to one of the AutoX instructors. YOu will see that your times will be alot slower than theirs, once you match their time then you think about improving the car.
not sure i exactly agree with this. ofcourse, yeah, modding after you have had experience is the way to go, but an alignment is pretty vital to a cars set up, especially if you are on R's or if your car just hasnt been aligned in awhile.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
WOW! Sounds like I need to add 2 degrees neg. camber to my front wheels!!!

That was the most retarded thing I've read all day!

Seriously, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, then don't say anything!!!
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Bim Growl
Banned

On a more serious side, I run:

track:

-3 camber front, -2.3 to -2.5 rear, max caster, toe out 1/16" front, and 0 toe in rear...

street:

-2.3 front, -1.8 rear, max caster, same toe settings...

This seems to work well, depending on the environment...
Old 04-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #13
Asmodeus

My Ride: 328i
That's really interesting, because I am running the opposite:

-1.9 Camber in front with -2.5 Camber in the rear.

Zero Toe, and maximum Caster.
328i - TiAg / Black with PP - HK - 35% Tint - TiAG Headlight Trim - RSM - Gauge Rings - Clears - GruppeM - Silvervision - Koni Adjustables - UUC T.M.E., Clutch Stop, DSSR, Pulleys, Swaybars, LTW - EPS Pump - SS Brake & Clutch Line - MTech II Front - Angel Eyes - M3 Lip Spoiler - Z211, K104 - M6 Wheels -

TLC/BMW Instructor
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus
That's really interesting, because I am running the opposite:

-1.9 Camber in front with -2.5 Camber in the rear.

Zero Toe, and maximum Caster.
You should be running more front camber than rear. Time for camber plates maybe? Also some toe out in the front will help with turn in.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
Asmodeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
You should be running more front camber than rear. Time for camber plates maybe? Also some toe out in the front will help with turn in.
Camber plates are already ordered, they should be coming in in a week or so.

How much toe out would you suggest?
328i - TiAg / Black with PP - HK - 35% Tint - TiAG Headlight Trim - RSM - Gauge Rings - Clears - GruppeM - Silvervision - Koni Adjustables - UUC T.M.E., Clutch Stop, DSSR, Pulleys, Swaybars, LTW - EPS Pump - SS Brake & Clutch Line - MTech II Front - Angel Eyes - M3 Lip Spoiler - Z211, K104 - M6 Wheels -

TLC/BMW Instructor
Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #16
Bim Growl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus
How much toe out would you suggest?
1/16th to 1/8" max.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #17
Asmodeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim Growl
1/16th to 1/8" max.

Thanks

TLC/BMW Instructor