E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
TaylorL99

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i ZHP
Rear deck Subwoofer replacements for H/K

I am looking at replacing the speakers in my 05 330i (H/K sound system). I have settled on Bavsound stage 1 system since they are plug and play, look OEM, and have good reviews. Since they do not replace the subs in the rear deck, what are some options for replacing these speakers? I know I am limited by the H/K amp, but I was hoping for something that is a little more powerful.

Would these work: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R69...69N.html?tp=91 ?
TaylorL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
M3 boyzky

My Ride: 2006 M3
If you are planning to change the rear 6 x 9 speakers, I suggest adding a separate aftermarket amp to power them.

I bought a couple of 6 x 9 DCT speakers and also bought a small separate amp for power. I don't really care for heavy thumping bass in the first place, however I get more than enough bass and can produce really low notes. Plus the amp came with an adjustable bass volume so you can control the bass. I listen to fm a lot and it's pretty impressive for my taste. Also, it didn't cost me an arm a leg and maintained my trunk space.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
M3 boyzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
TaylorL99

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 boyzky View Post
If you are planning to change the rear 6 x 9 speakers, I suggest adding a separate aftermarket amp to power them.

I bought a couple of 6 x 9 DCT speakers and also bought a small separate amp for power. I don't really care for heavy thumping bass in the first place, however I get more than enough bass and can produce really low notes. Plus the amp came with an adjustable bass volume so you can control the bass. I listen to fm a lot and it's pretty impressive for my taste. Also, it didn't cost me an arm a leg and maintained my trunk space.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Thanks for your reply, that's definitely something to think about. I guess I'm trying to get by without much additional wiring or adding additional equipment. I was hoping there was some plug and play speaker upgrade. It sounds like that may not be the case due to the strange size of these speakers
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The speakers from crutchfield are 2-way speakers as they seem to have a pair of tweeters mounted coaxially with the woofer. I recommend you buy quality 6x9 woofers and go the separate amp route. Some sub amps can be remotely controlled via a cable and a separate remote module.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
TaylorL99

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The speakers from crutchfield are 2-way speakers as they seem to have a pair of tweeters mounted coaxially with the woofer. I recommend you buy quality 6x9 woofers and go the separate amp route. Some sub amps can be remotely controlled via a cable and a separate remote module.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't know where to start looking for an amp or how to wire it up. You know of a good place I can do some reading and learn?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
markusmarkus

Try http://www.caraudio.com/forums/ for a start. Car audio is actually pretty simple once you earn the basics.

As far as an amp, stick with higher quality amps from Alpine, Pioneer and others. Stay away from cheaper brands like Kicker.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
Andrewsre46

My Ride: 2005 325xi
6.5 subs in rear deck

I'm looking to just swap out my rear deck speakers with 6.5 inch subs ....is this possible with jus small trimming and maybe adding sound dampening and maybe mdf mounting ring to the sheet metal...is this the best way or jus dropping them in is fine enough.. .I had 2 12s in a box in the trunk but I work out of the car now and I had to lose then due to no space in the trink...so I have an amp and everything wire

Last edited by Andrewsre46; 05-01-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Andrewsre46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Gmas

My Ride: '05 ZHP Coupe
I just bought a ZHP and the audio system is going to be one of my first orders of business I think. I'd like to keep the stock head unit, and I already have a nice 4 channel JL Audio amp that was in my old E30. The plan is to get a nice set of components for up front, but wondering what to do for bass. I don't want to sacrifice trunk space for a sub/enclosure, so am looking for a "good enough" solution that provides maybe 80-90% of what a single sub would, and fits in the rear deck. Was hoping there would be some good recos in this thread.

CDT does offer a few options - just not sure how effective they are.

https://www.cdtaudio.com/6x9/6x9_series.htm

Last edited by Gmas; 05-05-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Gmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
markusmarkus

Rear deck Subwoofer replacements for H/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmas View Post
I just bought a ZHP and the audio system is going to be one of my first orders of business I think. I'd like to keep the stock head unit, and I already have a nice 4 channel JL Audio amp that was in my old E30. The plan is to get a nice set of components for up front, but wondering what to do for bass. I don't want to sacrifice trunk space for a sub/enclosure, so am looking for a "good enough" solution that provides maybe 80-90% of what a single sub would, and fits in the rear deck. Was hoping there would be some good recos in this thread.

CDT does offer a few options - just not sure how effective they are.

https://www.cdtaudio.com/6x9/6x9_series.htm

I installed a pair of Tang Band 6.5" subs in the package shelf. I used the holes where the HK subs would have been installed if my car had the HK option. The holes had to be enlarged a bit. I used MDF to mount the speakers on the package shelf. I sealed the existing bass speaker holes with plastic and then sealed them with non-expanding spray foam. I sealed the rear package shelf with sound deadening sheets. Basically this provides what's called an "infinite baffle" installation. The rear package shelf cover was mod'd and then recovered with OEM material from Veterans Fabric based in Los Angeles.

The subs are powered by an Alpine 250w RMS sub amp. This amp's boost is controlled by a 20k ohm slide potentiometer (www.mouser.com) that's mounted in the plastic strip that holds the DSC switch. While this doesn't provide head banging bass it does provide great bass re-enforcement.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 05-06-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Tags
bavsound, harman kardon, speakers pair rear deck