E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Benjay47

My Ride: Bmw 330 ci
Swapping regular radio to eom Navigation

Hi guys

I would like to swap my radio on my 2001 330ci to a navigation unit. I actually don't really care about having navigation itself, I just want to have the monitor and be able to listen to the radio. I have already purchased the unit but the connector is different. Is an adapter all I need or is there anything else I need to purchase?

Thank you
Benjay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
Greg330CI

My Ride: E46 330CIc
It depends on what unit you bought. Usually, the navigation / screen unit is a double DIN size and the OEM radio is a single DIN size. That means to fit the navigation unit you have change the mounting plate in the fascia and then you move the HVAC controls to the lower position, where the sunglasses cubby is situated to provide the extra space Then you can fit the double DIN unit. If you bought a Dynavin or similar, they are are more or less plug and play and look like and fit like the OEM navigation unit. The only adapter required was for the radio aerial. There is not a great deal of room behind the fascia so get a 90 degree aerial adapter otherwise it will not fit back in. The other tip is to fit a braided earth strap between the casing on the new unit and the chassis (earth) close by. It helps stop radio interference. Hope that helps.
Greg330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
iowna330xi

My Ride: is fast.
Good luck getting the Nav to work. You basically need the entire loom and the relocation kit to get it to work, as the connectors are different
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
Greg330CI

My Ride: E46 330CIc
Well a few years ago I installed a Dynavin unit with NAV / Radio / CD / IPOD / Bluetooth into a 2001 BMW 325i. The car had the original BMW OEM business radio with a cassette player, a single DIN unit. I had to change the fascia (HVAC relocation kit) to accommodate the double DIN unit as described above. I bought that on EBay. (Note: there are 2 versions, one is for the older cars, it has slightly larger cut outs for the control buttons, the later version has slightly smaller cut outs. Mine was the older version) Having done that, the only problem I recall (and it was a few years ago) was the aerial connection adaptor as described above and running the wire for the mic up the A pillar trim. It was a bit time consuming to diy but when installed, everything worked just fine and it looked remarkably like the BMW OEM NAV unit. I don't recall that the connectors were different. But the Dynavin unit was purchased specifically for a BMW E46. Maybe there are other variants. Good luck!
Greg330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #5
Benjay47

My Ride: Bmw 330 ci
Thanks a lot for the reply guys. I actually did all of that. I moved the heat unit down and fit the navigation perfectly. I am just having issues with the connection. The car comes with a single connector while the navigation comes with two small ones. The navigation I am using came out a 2001 Bmw e46. It s the Bmw original
Benjay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Different harness and modules required for the nav unit, and then when you've got it all in you still don't have BT audio or any way to play off of a thumb drive or any streaming services. Far better off IMO to go Eonon, Dynavin, or Avin.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:29 AM   #7
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
You still need the retro fit harness, bm53, and the nav drive. All you have now is a lcd monitor... You still need the networked computer, aka the nav drive to have picture for menus etc. you need the radio, bm53 to have a radio, and you need the retrofit harness to hook it all together.

E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting DIY
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote