E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #21
mrdecibel

My Ride: A car
Please visit: http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_valentine_v1.shtml

This is the DIY I followed to install my V1 and the PAC unit. The red wire will go to the green/blue wire. The black will go to screw holding motor bracket. The yellow goes to steering column. Between the DIY link I posted for the PAC and this one for the V1, you will be fine.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman10535
On your PAC-SWI install, what color wires did you use for the sunroof install because I'm going to go that route? Does the black wire from the SWI suppose to connect to the ground (brown wire only) and where does the red SWI wire connect to? There seems to be a lot of red wires in the sunroof area but I can't seem to find the right one since they all aren't solid red.
mrdecibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #22
sanman10535

My Ride: 02 325I, sport TB
Send a message via Yahoo to sanman10535
Thanks for the info. One question though, I have connected all the wires and trying to program the PAC using the instructions on their site. It seems that steering wheel wire I connected may be a problem since I tried to program the buttons but it's not working yet.

Do I need to connect the white wire from the interface to another wire?

The site tells me that I need to use a resistor but I don't think I'll need that.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #23
CiRaceTechnik
If I was a drug, Id be DOPE

My Ride: E46.ZHP
Send a message via AIM to CiRaceTechnik
ohmygawd this is exactly what ive been hoping for... i was about to wing it and try it myself next weekend... good lookin out! props on the work!

Falken Tires | Function & Form Suspension | Meguiars
CiRaceTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #24
mrdecibel

Make sure you have the PAC-SWIX. If you do the only wires needed from the PAC-SWIX will be the

RED - Goes to switched power
BLACK - Goes to ground
YELLOW - Goes to White wire with red stripe and yellow dots in the steering column.

Quote from another post "You want to Tie the yellow cable from the SWI to the white/red wire with the yellow dots (some newer 3-series have wire colored white-gray with yellow dots) going into the steering wheel."

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One question though, I have connected all the wires and trying to program the PAC using the instructions on their site. It seems that steering wheel wire I connected may be a problem since I tried to program the buttons but it's not working yet.

Do I need to connect the white wire from the interface to another wire?

The site tells me that I need to use a resistor but I don't think I'll need that.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #25
sanman10535

I have connected all the wire but there seems to be a problem when I try to program. I got the led's to blink 6 times for the number of things I'm going to program.

This is the part on the instructions I can't get pass from pac's site:
Turn the key to the accessory position (you do not need to hold the 'Mode' button at this time). The right LED will flash 5 times. This indicates it is programmed for version 5.
2. Press the 'Mode' button until the LEFT LED turns on, then release the button (This will erase all previous learned SWC and wireless remote functions). The INTERFACE is now ready to learn a command from the steering wheel.
3. Press the Volume UP button on the steering wheel and hold the button. Wait until the LEFT LED turns off before you release the button. Note: Please do not press and release the steering wheel button quickly! If you do not press any buttons on the steering wheel, the INTERFACE will time out after 7 seconds, which will turn off the LEFT LED and end programming. If you missed some buttons, you will have to start all over and program from the first button. If the LEFT LED turns off and goes to the right LED without pressing the steering wheel buttons, then there is a wiring issue.
4. The right LED will turn on at this time, waiting to learn from the wireless remote. Note: You do not have a timeout period when the RIGHT LED is on. You can take your time here. However, make sure there is no fluorescent lights or sunlight in sight of the INTERFACE other wise the RIGHT LED will turn off and go to the LEFT LED.
5. Press and hold the wireless remote Volume UP button while pointing the remote towards the INTERFACE's IR input. Wait until the RIGHT LED turns off before you release the button.
6. The LEFT LED will turn on.
7. From here you will do steps 3 through 6 again for each additional button to be programmed. So the next steering wheel button should be Volume DOWN and the wireless remote Volume DOWN. Note: The steering wheel buttons can be assigned any wireless remote function. So if you have for example a 'Mode' button on the steering wheel, you can program it a 'Mute' function from the wireless remote.
8. Once you finish programming the SWC buttons and wireless remote functions, the LEFT LED should be on. Wait for 7 seconds and both LEDS will flash 3 times. This indicates that the INTERFACE has exited programming. The INTERFACE's RIGHT LED will flash 5 times and will be in 'Run Mode'.

Also, I connected the YELLOW wire from the PAC-SWIX to the red/white wire w/ yellow dots to the steering wheel. I spliced into the wire that's going into the steering wheel about 2 inches from the small green plug that plugs into the bottom of the wheel. Does this sound right

Sigh, I guess I will call up PAC
Old 05-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #26
sanman10535

Better yet, could you take a picture of your steering column underneath so I can check my wiring?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #27
mrdecibel

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...90#post1553190

If the instructions in the above post do not work for you, you may have a bad unit. I followed these to program instead of the official PAC instructions.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 AM   #28
sanman10535

Finally figured it out, it wasn't the wiring but when I programmed it. Instead of programming for 5 version I accidentally hit the button 6 times for version 6. Thanks alot for the help and the patience since I think I was kind of annoying
Old 05-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #29
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
for the ac carrier, does it matter whether i get the single or individual?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #30
mrdecibel

No problem. Glad you got it working.

Quote:
Finally figured it out, it wasn't the wiring but when I programmed it. Instead of programming for 5 version I accidentally hit the button 6 times for version 6. Thanks alot for the help and the patience since I think I was kind of annoying
Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #31
mrdecibel

Yes it matters which unit you order. You have to remove the button assembly from one unit to the next. So it needs to be the same. My install called for the single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke
for the ac carrier, does it matter whether i get the single or individual?
Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #32
e36 emthree

My Ride: e46 TiAg 330ci
Send a message via AIM to e36 emthree
OMG I NEEDED THIS A MONTH AGO WHEN I DID MINE ALL BY MYSELF! gj on the write up though
e36 emthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #33
smoke

My Ride: 2002, 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdecibel
Yes it matters which unit you order. You have to remove the button assembly from one unit to the next. So it needs to be the same. My install called for the single.
ah i see it, looks like i need the single too, since the individual can only support five buttons?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 AM   #34
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
thats incredible

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #35
DropTheHammer

My Ride: 2003 325xi
help fast

ok. i ordered part number 51-16-8-202-186 for the climate control to be moved to the bottom.. now im sure this is wrong... what one do i need... 2003 325xi.. i have heated seats dcs and hill decent 3 on driver side and 1 on passanger side.. and what part number is the nav face to put my tv in the dash??? i go 2 dealer to pick up my piece in a few and need to exchange for the rite 1... and i need to get every thing installed by fri.. goin on vacation on saturday ... thanks
DropTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #36
DropTheHammer

My Ride: 2003 325xi
any1 want to help me??
DropTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #37
mrdecibel

I responded to your PM. Please advise if you need more assistance.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #38
ChadE7320

My Ride: E90 / ATR-72
Send a message via AIM to ChadE7320
Damn that look sso good i want to do this soon, so much better then the flip outs in ourt cars it sucks when its 90 degrees out side an dyou have no air on your face because a screen is blocking it this is def the way to go,
Old 07-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #39
eddiet

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdecibel

I'm a new person to BMWs and i'm confused what you mean by single or individual....thanks and sorry for the stupid question.
eddiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #40
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Early E46s (maybe only the 1999 model year) had DSC button bar areas that were composed of discrete buttons. Later, BMW revised the design to have all the buttons on a single module. If you see little partition marks between the DSC button and the other buttons, you have an "individual" one. No marks means you have a "single" unit.
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote