E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
Need help choosing backup cam for EONON GA5150F

I want to buy a backup cam for my EONON unit. They one they have is expensive but at least ill have support if I have issues. Heres the link;
http://www.eonon.com/Car-Video/Cameras/A0119.html

The other one I like is on ebay. I like the style better and I think i can fit it under the trunk handle on my 330ci. Its much cheaper, looks like it will be more flush with the hole saw installation, and it has more adjustability to be angled correctly.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121782707923?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone have experience installing one of these on their E46 with an eonon? Let me know what you suggest and how it worked out for you. Thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
PattonD

My Ride: E30 right now
It cost a bit more, but this is the cleanest I have seen.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-backup-rever...6-e39-e53.html

PattonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonD View Post
It cost a bit more, but this is the cleanest I have seen.

https://avinusa.com/bmw-backup-rever...6-e39-e53.html

I like that one also. You can find clones of that one on Amazon for 15 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-170...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Heres a thread discussing some of the e46 rear view camera options:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=camera
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
shahbaz99

i have seen those ones that fit in the plate light before. I hear they dont quite fit right without bending the prongs in the socket. also im concerned that the led wont macth the other plate lamp and what ill have to do when the led goes out. seems like id have to replace the whole camera. not to mention that i cant adjust the angle at all. i want the camera to show the lip of your bumper like the oem ones do. ive noticed most aftermarkets are angled too high and you can see your actual bumper, just the guide lines in the display. thansk for the thread link though, ill have a look through it and see what i should get.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I have the camera that fits in the light socket for the plate. The one that I have uses the OE bulb and fits with out issue. Installations is a pain but well worth it for the OE look. Camera quality is good too

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
3:38 rear diff
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
shahbaz99

where can i but it? most of the ones ive seen replace the bulb
Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
I used this one when I installed my Dynavin N6 in my touring. Replaces the plate lamp entirely, fits well although I needed to do some Dremeling inside the housing for it to work with the wagon, and the wireless transmitter meant that I didn't need to snake cable to get out of the hatch. Replaced the other plate lamp with an LED bulb from Khoalty and since LEDS have much longer lives than incandescent bulbs they should both outlive the car.

I'm not sure why you'd want to see the bumper in the frame, seems similar to people who set their side view mirrors so that they see their quarter panels.

Last edited by VpointVick; 05-07-2016 at 09:38 AM.
VpointVick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
shahbaz99

Thanks ill check it out.

To answer your question; Seeing the bumper really helps gauge how much space you've got. When you can see the edge of the bumper, you can confidently get real close in those tight situations and back right up to walls/poles etc.. I feel like theres a reason all OEM backup cams have the bumpers edge in the frame. I dont feel as confident and cant get as close without having a solid reference to use, the stupid guide lines don't count LOL.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
shahbaz99

seems like a good option, i like the wireless part. Do you have a pic of the display when your in reverse? Also have you had any issues with the wireless connection? Also how does it connect to the prongs for the plate lamp? in the picture it just seems like a plastic back and 2 wires coming out for the display

Last edited by shahbaz99; 05-07-2016 at 03:53 PM.
shahbaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
shahbaz99

Heres the one I ended up going with. Its got 4 LEDs that light up the rear of the car when your in reverse as well as the plate lights. Wireless ones seemed tempting but I saw reviews of them distorting and sometimes having interference so I decided to go for a hard wire approach. Ill update on how it goes.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281873273958?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by shahbaz99; 05-08-2016 at 12:38 AM.
shahbaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Looks like you've made your selection, but here's the pic you asked for.

I tried it both hardwired and wireless and the picture quality was only slightly better hard wired so I decided that it wasn't worth the extra effort. The two wires that you saw are for the plate lamp, the video cable is an RCA. I soldered the plate lamp leads, but if you sourced the right size male spade connectors you could install without doing anything undoable to your car.

No issues with wireless connection. It was actually the most inexpensive unit when I bought it and always figured that if it worked wirelessly, great. If not then I'd hardwire it, but it's been troublefree.
VpointVick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
shahbaz99

ok great. thanks for the info man. Im sure the wireless would have been fine as well but i dont mind running the cable. Ill report back with results for anyone whos also thinking of getting one. Cheers