E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
2001 330i Facelifted LED Tails Install

Hey everyone, I have posted a few brief topics in the General section, as well as New England forums, but realize now that this is the best place for this thread to go. I have a 2001 330i sedan and went through hell waiting for some LED tails which eventually never shipped due to problems and got my money back. I got the bug again this February and found some sweet ass ones on Ebay from Germany and bought em shipped for about $300. After getting them, and the seller PROMISING me that there would be no need for an LCM reflash or a dash warning, I put them in, and they worked, but the stupid dash warning came up and I was pissed. Because it would have cost me $70 to ship these things back and get a refund, I decided to work it out with a buddy of mine and MAKE Them work! I read countless posts on issues with this, and determined that Adding a set of Load resistors would be the way to go. So I bought a few on ebay, one load resistor for each set of lights, (tail and brake on right, tail and brake on left, making 4 total as the blinkers are standard incandescents) and had my friend help me hook it up. He bought an aluminum box to mount them and wire them in to help dissipate the heat that actually has a built in fan in case i needed to use it if it got to hot (which it didn't). I put these babies in last night, mounted the box, and all is well and so FRESH!! Just need to update the trunk lights now, but that can wait a little.... ahhhh the mods never end! Hope you all enjoy the pics!

Load Resistors in custom box:

Back of LED Taillight:

Custom Trailer Wiring Kit Harness:

Box mounted in left side of trunk near Harman Kardon Amp:

Interior of left tail in trunk:

Ground wire is white and connects to same ground stereo system uses:

Another shot of box install:

Clean right trunk interior after setup (NOTE, my only complaint is that the stock black plastic covers do not fit over these and cover them up, but I can totally live with that):

Clean left trunk interior after mounting the box and covering it witht he carpet:

Finished Product!

I will post some other pics of what they look like when lit up at a later time, SWEET!!!! No dash light warning!!! (few more pics on next reply)
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
trizzuth

Just a few more pics of the finished product, enjoy!

Old 04-27-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
AlBoston

My Ride: is blue
come to one of the meets, i wanna see this in person. I just wish the turn signal was LED, not a huge deal tho.
AlBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
trizzuth

I've been dying to lately, what is coming up locally? These look way better in person too!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Canuck330i

My Ride: 2001 330i
Sweet

1. What's the name of the ebayer with the LED's?
2. Can you post some night time shots?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
trizzuth

The ebayer's name is oemgermanparts, will take some night pics tonight!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
trizzuth

As promised, here are some night pics... those brake lights are so damned bright, it's crazy!

this one looks dim, but that's only cuz the camera adjusted for the brightness:

and the clear corners with round reflectors with predator chromium's and yellow lamin-x fog's!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
u should get the LED trunk lights to match up

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
sonic393

My Ride: 2004 320Cd
My 03 euro bimmer has standard led lights in the rear, but the difference is, that the blinkers are also leds... Didn't see these yet...
sonic393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
trizzuth

yeah, I have seen those on the newer M3's and coupes/convertibles here, the tail and brake light are sort of in one cluster on the bottom, with the blinkers on top which are all led's too and light up orange. I'm ok with the blinkers on mine being incandescents because I can switch the orange bulbs that came with it for solaris invisibulbs or the blueish mirrored ones that light up orange. Tested the entire setup today driving an hour to work and the whole area where the resistor box was got only a little warm to the touch, and that was the outside of the car, inside the trunk near the carpet, it was normal temp all around! I don't anticipate any problems from this... BY the way, I did the Lowe's $4 Clutch stop mod last night and tested it all the way to work today too, and all I can say is damn, that's unbelievable!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #11
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Did you get rid of the flash every 60 seconds as well? I had to use a capacitor as well and ground it in order to filter the 3v signal the lcm sends for bulb contiouity check..
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
trizzuth

I had a flicker when I installed them initially straight without the load resistors, but that flicker went away for good with the resistors in there. and I don't have a blink every 60 seconds either.. no capacitor involved...
Old 04-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
e4t6

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
Eagle Eyes LEDs on my '01 330i Sport

Initially I did not get the rear bulb out warning. But once my car's LCM computer "learned" something was different (the obvious lower LED electrical resistance), the dash warning came on a couple of hours later. As suggested by trizzuth, I bought three resistor kits (the kit includes 2 resistors and the necessary quick connects; each kit is $9.99) from the Ebay seller velocityleds_1. These resistors are specific for curing automotive LED problems: no flash, fast flash, and bulb out warning. These resistors are very nice with their built in orange anodized finned heat sinks to cool them down. Very trick. You'll need a resistor for each LED function your LED tail light has: signal, brake, park. . .six total for the pair of Eagle Eyes e46 units. I mounted each resistor, with 3M automotive trim tape, behind the trunk lining on a convenient solid car body platform location. There is enough room in these locations for the heat sinks to do their job of cooling the resistors. trizzuth used a computer fan to further cool his resistors, which were all mounted and contained in an aluminum box. There's no need for this overkill, but the idea is very "cool". Excuse the pun. ---BTW, I love my awsome Eagle Eyes tail lights!

e4t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #14
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
lookin good nice write up

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
LEDs look really nice on silver.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #16
kneb

My Ride: 1987 325e
Send a message via AIM to kneb
Here are those resistors for $4.26 each. $10 each is such a ripoff.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
e4t6

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
Still a cheap fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneb
$9.99 for a pair is still an excellent price in the grand scheme of things. . .http://vleds.com/
e4t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneb
It's not much difference..Hmm..$8.52 a pair vs $9.99 a pair. Nice find though..who ever has cheaper shipping might make up the difference.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote