E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
the521one

My Ride: 330i
E46 3 Series Cheaper way to Reinforce your rear Subframe DIY

the521one is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
that's old news around here.

and the award for "Best Editing" goes to...

not that vid
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Seems clutch dumping and generally driving like a d-bag will accelerate the problem. Yes?

Give Han a break for doing a pretty good job of explaining how the damage happens. Yet I'd rather do the Redish Motorsports plates + structural foam method if I had damage which I'm glad to say I don't.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 03-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
the521one

Yeap. Clutch dumping will definitely increase the chances of getting your mounts cracked and ripped apart eventually. Thank you for your genuine appreciation.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Use structural foam instead
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
The redish method is probably the best method besides cutting out and making your own panel out of thicker steel as someone in the Australian forums has done.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
Are there any concerns about rust when drilling into the body of the car?
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
the521one

You can try your best to clean the rust and then drill but ones the threaded rod is installed you can block the holes with it. Also the subframe mounts and the bi washer covers the hole so no water can go in.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well nice to see this was moved to the DIY Section now and out of GENERAL. it makes more sence here and fits in.

if you're the author of this DIY then thanks for taking the time to show others of your install.

few questions for you:
you never show fixing the floor underneath where there are huge holes from the mounts tearing through. you have one on the Front right and one on the Rear left. but never address the torn floor and missing metal??

the brace only works for the rear two mounting points. but you have a front mount breach. what did you do to fix the front?
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Just look at the mason installation guide
Old 03-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
the521one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
well nice to see this was moved to the DIY Section now and out of GENERAL. it makes more sence here and fits in.

if you're the author of this DIY then thanks for taking the time to show others of your install.

few questions for you:
you never show fixing the floor underneath where there are huge holes from the mounts tearing through. you have one on the Front right and one on the Rear left. but never address the torn floor and missing metal??

the brace only works for the rear two mounting points. but you have a front mount breach. what did you do to fix the front?
Great question! Unfortunately, I no longer have this car and I was quickly briefing as I was filming this video. As for your question about the front mounts and gigantic holes: I had to take off the back seat and install a customized brace with the same exact procedure for the rear mounts. I purposely skipped this section due to rarity of this condition. As for the gigantic holes, the fact that they did not effect the way the car drives, they remained as they are except cleaned and covered with 3M all weather proof tape to block any water going in and rusting the inner side of the chassis. However, the subframe bushings and the washers already covered the holes so it was just extra protection. You mentioned spending $5000 for your 323ci? Well, I bought my car for 2300 and it was my first project car for me to fix everything on it and learned so much from it. My thing is buying cheap e46 cars for fun project cars that I can beat on and my main focus is to spend the least amount of money to have most amount of fun!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #12
gtrswiss

My Ride: BMW 330d
You can get repair panels from a german tuner. It was a lot of work, but for me the best way to fix the problem.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
gtrswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
pretty sure plates+epoxy is gonna be cheaper than the mason bar if you DIY Did min for less than $100
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
the521one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUTHIE View Post
pretty sure plates+epoxy is gonna be cheaper than the mason bar if you DIY Did min for less than $100
Yea I thought about learning how to weld myself but then I've heard even after you weld the plates on top of the mounts, they can get weaker within time. As for me, the x brace worked because I was able to dump my clutch in any gear and floor the gas pedal :p
Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
the521one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrswiss View Post
You can get repair panels from a german tuner. It was a lot of work, but for me the best way to fix the problem.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk
This looks fantastic!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
Mango
10 years plus club

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
I'd rather reinforce by using:

1) Plates

2) Structural foam

3) Poly bushings for even load distribution (flat tops)

Seems this contraption only addresses 2 out of 4 mounts, takes up trunk space, and causes irreversible damage/modification to the trunk floor. Not to mention adds a bunch of weight and makes fold down seats useless.

Support our DMAX: www.Facebook.com/DMAXstandup
FCPEuro.com - use code MangoFCP5 to get 5% off your order!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #17
the521one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'd rather reinforce by using:

1) Plates

2) Structural foam

3) Poly bushings for even load distribution (flat tops)

Seems this contraption only addresses 2 out of 4 mounts, takes up trunk space, and causes irreversible damage/modification to the trunk floor. Not to mention adds a bunch of weight and makes fold down seats useless.
I cannot agree with you more

Like I've said, the upside of having this x brace is not having to worry about your subframe mounts ever! IF this car was my only daily car, I would have went with the plates. However, thats not the case for me so I went with having more fun with few disadvantages