E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #41
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Does anyone know for certain the torque for the 3 hex nuts for the oil level sensor?? It's not listed in the Bentley manual, nor exact specs in the install pdf.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #42
Griptruk

My Ride: 2001 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Does anyone know for certain the torque for the 3 hex nuts for the oil level sensor?? It's not listed in the Bentley manual, nor exact specs in the install pdf.

Hey Alex, I don't recall if I had torque specs but I found this thread by searching, it says 18 lb/ft

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...94#post6574894

this thread is also useful

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174357

the hardest part is pulling that plate off the car. the bolts probably would have been a pain in the asss without an impact wrench.

-Jer
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #43
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griptruk View Post
Hey Alex, I don't recall if I had torque specs but I found this thread by searching, it says 18 lb/ft

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...94#post6574894

this thread is also useful

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174357

the hardest part is pulling that plate off the car. the bolts probably would have been a pain in the asss without an impact wrench.

-Jer

Thank you.
18 ft-lbs seemed pretty high for these nuts/studs. I did get someone provide the TIS for this. It's shows the torque at something like 8.5Nm or 2Nm, can't decipher which is the setting for the nut. So that is much lower than 18 ft-lbs. It so low I think it converts to like INCH-lbs. Something like 22in-lbs. Here is the thread and the pdf file.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...07#post7669107
Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #44
Alex323Ci

torque for Oil Level Sensor

Quote:
Thank you.
18 ft-lbs seemed pretty high for these nuts/studs. I did get someone provide the TIS for this. It's shows the torque at something like 8.5Nm or 2Nm, can't decipher which is the setting for the nut. So that is much lower than 18 ft-lbs. It so low I think it converts to like INCH-lbs. Something like 22in-lbs. Here is the thread and the pdf file.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...07#post7669107
ok, the oil pressure switch is listed as 27 Nm in the Bentley. So that lines up the above TIS sheet to read 8.5 Nm spec for the Oil Level Sensor. doing a quick lookup on conversion, pretty sure that makes it like 6.25ft-lbs from all the info provided.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #45
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
25Nm is 18lb-ft.
12.5Nm is 9lb-ft
6.2dNm is 4.5lb-ft
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #46
b777_uk_2000

My Ride: 330CI coupe
I followed the TS version I have. It said 22Nm (~15ftlb) and I stripped one of the bolts out. I'd use a 1/4" wrench and do it nice and tight. I only have 2 well torqued bolts holding mine and get no oil loss - lol.

This is a small thread. I want to say 5 or 6mm and as such the torque should be more in the lbfin rather than ftlb level.
b777_uk_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #47
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by b777_uk_2000 View Post
I followed the TS version I have. It said 22Nm (~15ftlb) and I stripped one of the bolts out. I'd use a 1/4" wrench and do it nice and tight. I only have 2 well torqued bolts holding mine and get no oil loss - lol.

This is a small thread. I want to say 5 or 6mm and as such the torque should be more in the lbfin rather than ftlb level.
sounds like the reason you stripped the bolt. i'd like to see this TS, because the one i was provided says 8.5 Nm.
PDF below

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...5&d=1207120265
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #48
b777_uk_2000

Here are some snapshots. Maybe I was just reading it wrong. I also found oil level sensor for 8.5Nm but was looking at incorrect illustrations. Ironically I used this with a calibrated wrench and did the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil level sensor1.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	265802   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil level sensor.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	265803  
Old 04-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #49
cunni

My Ride: 2001 325ci Sport
Would a dodgy oil sensor throw up a check engine light?

Im debating if its worth taking it to the local Fault reading place in my town, but its 45($90) a scan just trying to figure out if its worth it!
cunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #50
b777_uk_2000

When mine failed the only indication was the amber light stayed on for a short duration on startup and then clears. This in combination with a dipstick showing you actually do have oil lets you know you have this problem. I don't think this would throw any codes as the sensor failure seems to indicate loss of oil is the issue (i.e. not an issue with the car itself, just fluids).

If you have a continuous check engine light I suspect you will have some fault codes when scanned. In my experience these are 9 times out of 10 associated with the emission system.

If you search in the threads you'll find you can scan the codes in your vehicle without a reader. I have done this and it seems to work ok.

I did buy a code reader as I have several vehicles which don't have this capability. If you did decide to buy one you can probably get one shipped from the US for around the cost of that 1 scan. I bought one for $60 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #51
RotaryBzzz

My Ride: E36 M3 : E46 330i
So how was using 6.25 ft lbs to torque these 3 nuts down? Any leaks?

TIA
RotaryBzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #52
Alex323Ci

^ I have had no leaks using the torque setting bmw gave.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #53
RotaryBzzz

My Ride: E36 M3 : E46 330i
Quote:
^ I have had no leaks using the torque setting bmw gave.
Nice...thanks. I used 75 inch-pounds (converting from 6.25 ft-lbs) off the same torque wrench I used to tighten my 10mm thermostat housing nuts!
RotaryBzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #54
2001BlackOnTan

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Just completed the oil sensor repair. Not complicated. A couple notes based on other people's posts...

The job can easily be done with the car on ramps. I agree completely with those who've said that if you can change your own oil on an E46, you can absolutely perform this repair.

The sensor cost about $96 from Bavarian Autosport after a price match to AutohausAZ.com and it came with its own gasket. The old sensor itself was very easy to remove once the metal plate was off the car and the oil was drained. The Hella sensor that I installed appeared to have come off the same assembly line as the Hella/BMW part that originally came on the car, except that the BMW logo and part number had been removed with a grinding tool (probably a BMW stipulation to Hella for aftermarket sales).

I see no reason at all to replace the 8 bolts that hold the metal plate covering the oil pan. The bolts were not difficult to remove with a 17mm socket on the end of a 2 foot breaker bar, although getting them back in required some squirming since some of them go in at an angle, it's a bit tough to start the bolts by hand, and you have to use one arm to hold the plate up in the air, but it just takes some time and patience to get everything to line up. If you want to drive the car for a few days without the metal plate attached to make sure you have no leaks, I don't think that would be a problem unless you run over a log or something and rip the oil pan off the engine; yes there is probably a structural rigidity aspect to the pan, but again, a few days without it probably wouldn't hurt.

When I did the job, I scrubbed both sides of the metal plate and the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine compartment (which didn't need to be removed to change the sensor) so if there are leaks down the road, I'll know where they are.
2001BlackOnTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #55
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001BlackOnTan View Post
If you want to drive the car for a few days without the metal plate attached to make sure you have no leaks, I don't think that would be a problem unless you run over a log or something and rip the oil pan off the engine; yes there is probably a structural rigidity aspect to the pan, but again, a few days without it probably wouldn't hurt.
I assume you're talking about the chassis stiffener brace that's present on coupes (and maybe on convertibles too?). The Bentley manual specifically says not to drive without this piece installed because the chassis will flex too much without it and you risk damaging the frame. With the rough roads we have here in New England I certainly wouldn't try it.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #56
hl325Ci

My Ride: 325Ci
Talking

Quote:
Just completed the oil sensor repair. Not complicated. A couple notes based on other people's posts...

The job can easily be done with the car on ramps. I agree completely with those who've said that if you can change your own oil on an E46, you can absolutely perform this repair.

The sensor cost about $96 from Bavarian Autosport after a price match to AutohausAZ.com and it came with its own gasket. The old sensor itself was very easy to remove once the metal plate was off the car and the oil was drained. The Hella sensor that I installed appeared to have come off the same assembly line as the Hella/BMW part that originally came on the car, except that the BMW logo and part number had been removed with a grinding tool (probably a BMW stipulation to Hella for aftermarket sales).

I see no reason at all to replace the 8 bolts that hold the metal plate covering the oil pan. The bolts were not difficult to remove with a 17mm socket on the end of a 2 foot breaker bar, although getting them back in required some squirming since some of them go in at an angle, it's a bit tough to start the bolts by hand, and you have to use one arm to hold the plate up in the air, but it just takes some time and patience to get everything to line up. If you want to drive the car for a few days without the metal plate attached to make sure you have no leaks, I don't think that would be a problem unless you run over a log or something and rip the oil pan off the engine; yes there is probably a structural rigidity aspect to the pan, but again, a few days without it probably wouldn't hurt.

When I did the job, I scrubbed both sides of the metal plate and the plastic cover on the bottom of the engine compartment (which didn't need to be removed to change the sensor) so if there are leaks down the road, I'll know where they are.
+1

I just did mine yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I absolutely agree that there is no reason at all to replace the 8 bolts that hold the metal plate covering the oil pan.

Just one more tiny thing I want to mention is that it's easier to unclip the sensor by squeezing the clip on the sides with TWO hands PRIOR to removing it from the oil pan. It was a PITA for me unplug that thing with one hand and the other hand holding the sensor itself... (maybe my hand squeezing is too weak, but in any case... )
hl325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #57
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
You absolutely need to replace the 8 bolts that hold the chassis stiffener plate. They're what's known as "torque-to-yield". Once you've torqued them the first time, their metallurgical properties change. An ordinary bolt stretches a little when you torque it to spec. When you remove it, it springs back to its original shape. "Torque to yield" means that in tightening the bolt for the first time, you've exceeded the plastic deformation point or "yield point" of the metal--i.e. the point where, once exceeded, it will no longer "spring back" to its original shape. Once you've done that once, it doesn't take too much more additional force to exceed the tensile point of the bolt--the point where it snaps under tension.

I should point out that the bolt will be placed under even more tension when the car is in operation, particularly if it's being driven hard.

Now, you could get lucky, and those bolts would never break. I imagine most of them never do. But do you really want to be the test case for the guy who hit a really bad pothole and had the bolts holding that plate break? Or do you want them to break while doing a drift at a track day? The bolts are what, a couple bucks each? Cheap insurance.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #58
havnfun328

My Ride: '99 328i, '03 M5
Quote:
If you want to drive the car for a few days without the metal plate attached to make sure you have no leaks, I don't think that would be a problem unless you run over a log or something and rip the oil pan off the engine; yes there is probably a structural rigidity aspect to the pan, but again, a few days without it probably wouldn't hurt.

My Bently says never do this. You could start the engine to check for leaks, but don't drive it without the reinforcement.
247K and still running strong
havnfun328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #59
Daemonix

My Ride: '99 328i
Send a message via AIM to Daemonix
I've removed my plastic under engine guard probably 4 years ago. Tired of removing the thing all the time to work on the undercarriage. No issues thus far. It's a piece of plastic.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #60
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
The dealership never put my underguard back after some warranty work was done. Months later, I did my oil level sensor and saw the underguard missing - WTF! Needless to say I don't go to the dealership - warranty or not! No damage to my undercarriage in years! Like someone said - it's just a piece of plastic.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote