E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
3onDubs

My Ride: no
ALPINE IVA-W200 ?'s

Ok, so i've decided to finally ditch my carputer and go the double din dvd route (since i already have rich's bezel trim and the Alpine H701 digital sound processor).

I have compiled a list of the things i need:

- Alpine IVA-W200 (double din dvd player)
- PAC SWI-ALP (retain steering wheel controls with alpines)
- PAC TR-7 (Video bypass for the Alpine)
- 5 meter fiber optic cable (to go from the W200 to the H701 in trunk...which is already powered and connected to my amps)

I'm ready to buy everything, but i just had a couple concerns that are making me hesitate.

First...i'm not too sure about the vent hack. How difficult would it be? I've cut holes in my doors and installed a complete carputer on my own, but i looked behind the dash and there seems to be little or no room to work with....for those of you who have done it...how difficult would you rate the mod?

Second...Do i need the PAC TR-7 to be able to play dvd's while driving, or is there an easier way to do the video bypass (such as finding a solid grounding point, etc.)?

Also, Is there anything i should add to the list that i'm overlooking?

Last edited by 3onDubs; 05-23-2006 at 10:51 AM.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
you are going to need the pac unit to be able to access the H700 as well - so just stick with that unit, it's a plug an play operation.

You don't need a 5M cable to get to the trunk btw, you can get a 4 m if need be, but beware of the cable you do choose. If it has a large connector on the end (like the high end Monster ones) it will not plug into the W200 easily. It will also block you from plugging in other optical accessories at the H700

Just something to keep in mind.

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
3onDubs

Thanks for the quick reply....

...okay, so i just bought the following:

Alpine IVA-W200 = $875
PAC SWI-ALP = $47
PAC TR-7 = $18
12 foot toslink = $6 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=)

Just curious though...do i need to do anything special with the PAC TR-7 in order to access the H701?

I'm assuming that the reason i'll need it is because optical audio is disabled while driving? I plan on using optical audio as the only connection to the W200....it will play my cd audio as well as dvd audio....will this work, or will i need to run rca's to the W200 as well?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
rcurley55

optical disconnected while driving? That would suck.

I think the pac unit tricks the w200 into thinking that you have parked the car and performed the necessary steps to access all menus. With that installed, the optical should work, as well as access to the H701.

12 ft should be fine, but it will be close.

you dont' need rca's, run the ai-net to the h701, that will handle analog audio along with input selection, balance, fade, volume, etc from the headunit.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
3onDubs please keep us updated on everything. I am planning on installing the exact same thing in my car next month. Would you be up for keeping a ruuning diary? Maybe with pics as well? I am worried about putting everything in and this would help alot. Thanks and good luck!
auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.

My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Sorry to go OT, but is there any specific reason why you went from a CarPC to a Double-Din?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I'm on the verge of the same decision, of ditching my CarPC. My Xenarc screen no longer works, and that was sort of the last straw.

I'm also interested in a running diary of your work 3onDubs, so I can see what I'm in for if I go this route.

So it's safe to say that there is not a double-din solution that doesn't require a vent hack? No Alpines coming that have screen separated from main unit?
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
3onDubs

@Rcurley55: Thanks for being patient with my noobishness (i know the alpine protocol is slightly different than for other brands)...you've been a great help so far and have pretty much answered all of my questions. I totally forgot about the ai-net connection handling the analog audio....lol.

Have you ever used the W200/H701 combo before? If so, do you know if i'll still be able to have the same active crossover controls that i had with my C701 (i plan to go active as well)?

@auburnu008: I'll be sure to keep a log during this install. I said the same thing with my carputer, but was overwhelmed with the install and forgot to take pics. I'll make sure to take plenty of pics (i'm still nervous about the vent hack...i still havn't read through the diy yet). I should be getting everything by the end of this week and, if so, i'll be doing the install this weekend.

@m3on20z: I like the name...lol. The carputer was pretty sick, don't get me wrong, but i just kept having little tiny querks that have been driving me crazy. Here's a list of little things that just piss me off:

- waiting for the computer to boot
- having to reach into the glove box to load a cd
- having to worry about the car wash guys disconnecting something when they vaccum (i have to tell them what to do specifically every time and it's annoying)
- having the computer freeze on me on long drives and having to pull over and stop the car, wait for the computer to shut down, and then start the car again.
- Every little thing you want to add takes so much time and patience and energy, it's ridiculous.
- I have a billion wires going to the trunk....a billion more in the spare tire well....troubleshooting sucks big time.

Basically, i only use the computer for the following things: listening to music, watching music videos, and having a back-up camera. I have never used internet in my car and can't imagine the need for it (im not going to google anything while driving...it's hard enough to try and use the tiny screen to browse the internet while parked). I don't have a need for navigation and from what i understand, the computer gps mouse version is inferior to mobile navigation units.

The alpine unit has all of the features that i need and it was designed for what i will be using it for so it will be much easier to use on a day to day basis (and more practical). It will eliminate the need for the C701 controller and give me superior sound than windows (i hate having to download audio drivers and dealing with software audio issues).

The only edge that a computer has in my opinion is that it is a computer and not that many people have them in their cars. It's always nice when people ask me what im running up front and i say "a computer"...the expressions i've gotten are priceless, but other than that, there is no real advantage.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark
I'm on the verge of the same decision, of ditching my CarPC. My Xenarc screen no longer works, and that was sort of the last straw.

I'm also interested in a running diary of your work 3onDubs, so I can see what I'm in for if I go this route.

So it's safe to say that there is not a double-din solution that doesn't require a vent hack? No Alpines coming that have screen separated from main unit?

You too?!! I actually followed your install step by step back when i was putting everything together (on mp3car). I never did thank you...your worklog was amazingly detailed (the ibus pictures especially)....

Over the past few months i've just had so many things i've had to iron out and just when i think i have everything set, something else goes out on me. I'm also always worrying about it....i've been searching for a solid solution (like a computer built especially for cars with amp-like connections), but then i realized that they've been here the whole time....the pioneer Z1, for example, has a hard drive. The alpine that i got can play every single format i can possibly burn to a cd, so it has me covered. It also has a dedicated ipod plug n play port, so it's pretty much perfect.

No more power supply issues or surprises when i go to start the car. Sometimes, when i turn the key, i just stare at the monitor expecting windows not to start...and am releaved when it does...does that ever happen to you?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
auburnu008

Sounds good. After reading that, it sounds like a computer is a pain in the ass and a w200 / 701 will be much better and made for exactly what you need. I cant wait to get mine in my car!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
3onDubs

It's been a major pain so far....and i'll have radio again! I never thought i'd miss radio, but surprisingly, i do.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
Hark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
You too?!! I actually followed your install step by step back when i was putting everything together (on mp3car). I never did thank you...your worklog was amazingly detailed (the ibus pictures especially)....
You're welcome - now return the favor and show me how this is done!

Quote:
Sometimes, when i turn the key, i just stare at the monitor expecting windows not to start...and am releaved when it does...does that ever happen to you?
Mine started from standby, and did so pretty reliably - but the weakest link was truly the screen. Unusable in the daytime, lucky if the image was centered (it had an insidious habit of being off center whenever I showed the install to someone). The touchscreens simply aren't up to the task.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
3onDubs

Quote:
You're welcome - now return the favor and show me how this is done!
No problem...i'm going to dedicate the next few days of "work" (i love my job, lol) to trying to figure out the best way to get the vent hack to work.

Quote:
Mine started from standby, and did so pretty reliably - but the weakest link was truly the screen. Unusable in the daytime, lucky if the image was centered (it had an insidious habit of being off center whenever I showed the install to someone). The touchscreens simply aren't up to the task.
I had the same problem. Sometimes (randomly) the image would start at the middle of the screen, so that half the screen was black and half was the image moved over to the right. I couldn't figure this out, but i had to use the remote to fix it.

Other times the screen wouldn't turn on at all. The computer would start, but not the screen. This was fine because i could still hear the audio (rr started with windows) and i could use the ibus to navigate, but it just angered me that i couldn't figure it out.

My last problem was after installing the revese camera. The monitor would "auto-switch" on it's own repeatedly without me putting the car in reverse (the camera is powered via reverse lights). I had to turn auto switching off while driving and it completely defeated the purpose of having the camera.

I've tried to get this issue out of the way, but it seems that even if i did, there would be more to replace them down the line. I miss just having a solid, reliable head unit. I had a dvd player in my last car for 3 years (and this car prior to the carputer) and never had a single problem.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
rcurley55

Quote:
@Rcurley55: Thanks for being patient with my noobishness (i know the alpine protocol is slightly different than for other brands)...you've been a great help so far and have pretty much answered all of my questions. I totally forgot about the ai-net connection handling the analog audio....lol.

Have you ever used the W200/H701 combo before? If so, do you know if i'll still be able to have the same active crossover controls that i had with my C701 (i plan to go active as well)?
not a problem - we all learn from somewhere

I have not even seen a W200 wiht my own eyes What do you mean by "have the same active crossover controls"? The crossover capability has not changed, but the way you adjust them may. I believe it's a more graphical interface now....

I don't have a complete answer on this one, there's just no that many W200/H700 combos out there.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurley55
not a problem - we all learn from somewhere

I have not even seen a W200 wiht my own eyes What do you mean by "have the same active crossover controls"? The crossover capability has not changed, but the way you adjust them may. I believe it's a more graphical interface now....

I don't have a complete answer on this one, there's just no that many W200/H700 combos out there.
Yeah, i havn't seen one either. Hopefully it'll fit perfectly in rich's bezel trim (i don't see why it wouldn't). I was just referring to things like time correction, graphical/parametric eq, crossover for each channel (front 1/front 2/rear/sub), and the option to save different settings so that you can switch between them with the push of a button. For example, i had settings for rock/parked, rock/driving, hip hop/parked, hip hop/driving, etc.

But like you said, it's probably all of the same functionality, just a more graphical control. I'll probably loose the ability to do auto-time correction (i heard that it's C701 specific), but i've never used that anyway.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
rcurley55

no, the auto correction was a capability with the H700 as well - doesn't matter you really don't want to use that anyway IMO.

Everything that you had mentioned is still available - have you downloaded the owners manual? you should:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/pro...M_IVA-W200.pdf

it explains how you get to the H700 and how you set it.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
3onDubs

Thanks rcurley....i haven't read through the entire manual yet (just the part about the H701), but i was unable to find anything on a navigation system to go with the W200. Alpine has a dvd navigation system on their website, but it doesn't say anything about the W200. Is there a specific one i should get?

EDIT: The one i found is the NVE-N872A....it seems to work with the W200 (giving voice control capability), but the only problem is that it retails for over $1300....hmm.

Last edited by 3onDubs; 05-23-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #18
Hark

Wouldn't the Blackbird work? Seems like since they're both new units, they would work together, and the BB is only ~$700.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #19
auburnu008

The blackberry will work with the w200. Does anyone know the difference in what the blackberry and the NVE-N872A would look like on the w200? I know alpine says both are compatable with the w200, but is the blackberry's gui going to not look as good as the NVE-N872A will hooked up to the w200?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #20
3onDubs

This is what i got from the Alpine website...

"The IVA-W200 provides a base for adding navigation to the vehicle. Alpine's NVE-N872A DVD-based fixed navigation system offers hands-free voice control capabilities when paired with the IVA-W200. The IVA-W200 also works with Blackbird (PMD-B100), Alpine's portable navigation device. Blackbird's mapping and driving instructions can be viewed and controlled with the IVA-W200 monitor when used with the PMD-DOK1 docking system (available March 2006)"

So, it seems like they would both work, but the NVE-N872A offers voice control. Also, the wording is kind of vague, but i wasn't sure if the blackbird could be hidden away or if it had to be mounted somewhere on the dash..."docking system" (that would suck).

As far as gui goes...

Last edited by 3onDubs; 05-23-2006 at 09:15 PM.