E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #21
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Ok...i found this for the gui on the NVE:

Display Mode
- 3-D Freeway Junction View
- Arrow Route Guidance Display
- Branded Gas Station POI Display
- Intersection zoom (Auto Zoom Map)
- Maneuver List Guidance
- Map Display View
- Map Route Guidance Display
- Map Zoom (1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 5, 15, 50, 150, and 350 miles)
- Smart City Map (Landmark Icons and Building Icons, select cities)
- Split Route Guidance Display
- Vehicle Direction: North-Up, Heading-Up, Day/Night Mode

It also has auto re-routing and the option to minimize/maximize toll roads and/or freeways along with live traffic accident update combined with the re-routing feature.

Last edited by 3onDubs; 05-23-2006 at 09:34 PM.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #22
3onDubs

Also, in order to get the ipod connection to work with the W200, you're going to need the KCE-422i cable. I just bought one off of ebay for $20. It's just a cable that connects to the back of the unit and you're going to have to figure out a way to route it so that it's accessible from the dash area. I'm thinking about having it come through the rear of the ashtray so that i can put my nano on the ashtray and close it. All the ipod functions can be controlled via the touchscreen, so you can hide the ipod.

Another thing i'm contemplating buying is the bluetooth module...which would be another $228 (shipped...ebay)....wow these things are really starting to add up....so far:

Alpine IVA-W200 = $875
PAC SWI-ALP (Steering wheel controls) = $47
PAC TR-7 (video bypass) = $18
12 foot toslink = $6
Ipod cable = $20
Bluetooth = $228

Total ~ $1200 (without the nav)

^^^That's not to bad if you consider that the MSRP on the W200 is $1100
Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #23
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
Thanks for the info on the blackberry. I probably wont use voice control so I might just get the blackberry. My only concern is the gui. If it looks the exact same on the w200 screen minus voice, I am getting the blackberry. I am also adding a ipod. This thread is helpful on a stealth install
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=ipod+install
Good luck with everything and I cant wait to see what it looks like. I should be starting on mine in about a month or so.
Take care
auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:45 AM   #24
auburnu008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
Also, in order to get the ipod connection to work with the W200, you're going to need the KCE-422i cable. I just bought one off of ebay for $20. It's just a cable that connects to the back of the unit and you're going to have to figure out a way to route it so that it's accessible from the dash area. I'm thinking about having it come through the rear of the ashtray so that i can put my nano on the ashtray and close it. All the ipod functions can be controlled via the touchscreen, so you can hide the ipod.

Another thing i'm contemplating buying is the bluetooth module...which would be another $228 (shipped...ebay)....wow these things are really starting to add up....so far:

Alpine IVA-W200 = $875
PAC SWI-ALP (Steering wheel controls) = $47
PAC TR-7 (video bypass) = $18
12 foot toslink = $6
Ipod cable = $20
Bluetooth = $228

Total ~ $1200 (without the nav)

^^^That's not to bad if you consider that the MSRP on the W200 is $1100
Dont you also need the part from a bmw dealership to relocate the AC controls to the bottom? The HVAC Carrier (Temperature relocation)?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #25
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
Thanks for the info on the blackberry. I probably wont use voice control so I might just get the blackberry. My only concern is the gui. If it looks the exact same on the w200 screen minus voice, I am getting the blackberry.
Why do you keep calling it a Blackberry? Might be confusing to some readers.
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #26
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
Dont you also need the part from a bmw dealership to relocate the AC controls to the bottom? The HVAC Carrier (Temperature relocation)?
Yea, you're going to need that and you're also going to need rich's bezel trim for double din openings (www.mybimmer.net).

Fortunately, I already had both of these because i am going from a carputer to the W200. I had my monitor mounted in the same place where im going to be mounting the Alpine unit.

I bought the HVAC carrier from the dealer for slightly over 30 bucks.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #27
auburnu008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark
Why do you keep calling it a Blackberry? Might be confusing to some readers.
Sorry, I know its a blackbird. I was typing and didnt even think about it. I have blackberry on my mind because I just replaced it last week.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #28
auburnu008

Quote:
Yea, you're going to need that and you're also going to need rich's bezel trim for double din openings (www.mybimmer.net).

Fortunately, I already had both of these because i am going from a carputer to the W200. I had my monitor mounted in the same place where im going to be mounting the Alpine unit.

I bought the HVAC carrier from the dealer for slightly over 30 bucks.
Yea I am going to order the bezel from him. I cant wait to get started. I am glad someone else on this board is doing the same thing. When do you plan on starting the project? If you can take some pics of the process. I have a feeling I am going to need all the help I can get with the install.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
3onDubs

I'll definitely take pics whenever i get it started. I have always been the impatient type....as soon as i get everything i need, i usually start the install immediately. I'm hoping to get everything by this weekend, but i know i'll be missing one thing that'll hold me back. Since there's so many components being shipped (and i bought them all from different places) i know that at least one of them will lag. If not this weekend, then whenever everything arrives (maybe next weekend).
Old 05-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #30
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S

GL mAN
Old 05-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #31
3onDubs

Haha...will do....maybe i'll get some before and after shots (car pc in the bezel and then the alpine in the bezel) <----but im not sure how much good this would do since my monitor just went out on me yesterday. Talk about coincidence! (i think it heard it was getting replaced).
Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #32
auburnu008

It was meant to be 3ondubs...
Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #33
Hark

3onDubs, what made you go with the W200 instead of the Pioneer Avic Z1? I like the way the Alpine looks on the screen better, but it seems like the functionality of Z1 has more to offer. I especially like the bluetooth phone integration on the Z1 (with separate adapter), which seems to be mostly absent in the W200.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #34
3onDubs

I bought the W200 so that it can control my Alpine H701 digital sound processor that i already have (i'm using it with the carputer). I wanted to be able to get rid of the C701 controller for the H701 and the W200 allows me to do that by acting as a controller itself. The benefits of the H701 are the following:

- Optical input (don't have to run 3 sets of rca's the length of the car...i can just run one optical cable and one ai-net cable).
- 4V preouts to my amps (better SQ than the 2.2V found on the Z1 and W200)
- It's an active crossover (i can tune the harshness of the tweeters seperately along with the cutoff points for my mids...custom tailored sound which eliminates crossover flaws)
- 5.1 true surround sound when watching dvd's (phantom center channel...the W200 only does 2 channel DTS)

Also, the W200 has bluetooth phone integration...i actually just purchased the module last night that allows you to control it (it's just the three button controller....talk, vol up, vol down...and you mount it anywhere within reach). The bluetooth feature displays the call info on the screen and includes a microphone and routes the calls through your speakers. It automatically connects when the phone is nearby just like the oem bluetooth module (or any bluetooth headset). When you pick up a call, the radio pauses and comes back where it left off after you hang up.

Thirdly, the Alpine was half the price. I bought the steering wheel controller, video bypasser, ipod cable, bluetooth module, and optical cable all for $1100....the Z1 will be at least $1600 by itself.

Lastly, the Alpine looks much better imo and on the Alpine site you can download wallpapers for the screen...you just have to download them, burn them to a cd and then put the cd into the Alpine to upload them....it's pretty sweet and they're always adding new ones. They also have a feature online where you can set the distances of your speakers (for time correction) and the desired crossover points and you can save those to a cd and transfer them as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #35
Hark

Thanks, that's very helpful info. Where'd you get the info about displaying the call info on the screen? That was exactly the feature I was trying to confirm, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #36
3onDubs

I remember reading it somewhere...it might have been on the Alpine website although now that i have searched through the manual for the W200...it doesn't mention it anywhere. For the bluetooth module, it does say that it supports voice calling (like with a bluetooth headset), but only if the phone supports it.....but it doesn't say anything about the display. I guess i might have confused that with the pioneer's bluetooth feature. I'll find out though when i install it.

I was also thinking about getting the HD Radio module since it supports that, but i've never heard HD radio before to know if it would be worth it. Has anybody heard FM on an HD radio before? Is the sound always clear, or does it depend on radio reception? How does it compare with CD quality sound (the website says it's close)?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #37
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
Quote:
They also have a feature online where you can set the distances of your speakers (for time correction) and the desired crossover points and you can save those to a cd and transfer them as well.
iPersonalize probably won't work for the H700...just an fyi - again, that's my understanding - I'd be surprised if that does work. You can do the same measuring technique with the H700 and set the distances manually.

If it does work, I'd be surprised....

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #38
3onDubs

^^^ Yeah, i probably wouldn't use that anyway. I prefer not to do any time corrections because then it would sound weird for the passenger. The only thing I'm probably gonna use is the wallpaper feature...i saw some really neat ones on there (water droplet still frames, highway shots, etc.).
Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #39
jamezzz122

My Ride: 2004 330CI
How's the security on these things? I was checking them out but it seems as though I would get it jacked if I parked it on a street.
jamezzz122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #40
3onDubs

^^^ Dunno...i've never really had to worry about security because firstly, you can't see into my car (double limo tints)...and secondly, i live in a very safe area (i wouldn't park it on the street if i didn't...i have much more to loose than a headunit).

And also...as far as security on headunits go...if they want it, they'll get it. The more secure it is, the more f'ed up your dash is getting...