E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #41
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
3onDubs, where'd you get your W200? I want one now too.
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #42
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
dam 3ondubs man you were my sole inspiration for the carpc that i finally took outta the closet last wed to see if i was up to the task to finish it.... maybe i hsould just scrap it cuz i was having issues with the programmming and it never even saw the car yet haha
Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #43
3onDubs

My Ride: no
@Hark, i bought the W200 from ebay...i found the cheapest power seller and bought it from them since i know power seller's are somewhat reliable. Normally i wouldn't drop that kind of money on ebay, but i took a chance this time...we'll see what happens (still havn't gotten it, but ill keep you posted). http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

@Dave: The carputer wasn't all that bad, but seriously, the amount of money i ended up spending on it, i could have had the alpine W200 and the $1300 nav module from alpine. The only advantage the carputer seems to have is internet and a hard drive, but i don't mind pluggin in an ipod or putting in a cd. In the end i'll have better sound quality and a more solid, reliable head unit.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #44
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
3ondubs, I think I remember you saying you got tired of waiting for a online retailer to get the w200 in so you ordered it from ebay. Was the retailer www.hookedontronics? They have it (when it is in stock) for $788. I have checked on resellerratings.com and they have excellent ratings. I am waiting on them to get it in stock and I will be ordering it then. Is this the site you were waiting on also? Cant wait to see/hear your progress and finished pics! Good luck
auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:34 AM   #45
3onDubs

I actually ordered it from the link i posted above...the seller's store name is BergenDigital....I paid 875 (100 bucks more than the other seller), but it seems that all of the online retailers that have it for cheap are always sold out. I didn't want to wait (since i just sold my carputer and am headunit-less), so i picked it up right away. BergenDigital has a 98.3% rating and is a power seller, so hopefully i'll get the item soon...as of now i'm just twiddling my thumbs.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:37 PM   #46
3onDubs

Update: I got a tracking number today for my W200...it's expected delivery date is June 2...so the install is going down this weekend.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #47
rylee44

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
Update: I got a tracking number today for my W200...it's expected delivery date is June 2...so the install is going down this weekend.
Do you have a factory navigation unit? If so, how are you going to go about hooking it up? I bought the W200 from BestBuy for $900 with a 2 year warranty as part of the memorial day sale...
rylee44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #48
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylee44
Do you have a factory navigation unit? If so, how are you going to go about hooking it up? I bought the W200 from BestBuy for $900 with a 2 year warranty as part of the memorial day sale...
Was that with tax? Either way that is a great deal with the warranty especially with the w200. If it was a simple Alpine $300 head unit I would not worry about it, but I am going the warranty route as well. Post pics of the install! Good luck
auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #49
3onDubs

Quote:
Damn...that's a really good deal...i shoulda waited and bought it then (had i known that is).

I dont' have a factory navigation unit, but i'm comming from a carputer install, so i already have my ac controls relocated along with the double din bezel trim from mybimmer.net.

To hook it up, i'm going to do everything behind the dash and i'm going to run three cables to the rear: a 12 ft. optical cable, an ai-net connection (for the H701), and a remote on wire for my amps (This wire is already there...i just need to connect it to the W200 when i get it).

Behind the dash there are all of the necessary inputs (12V constant, 12V switched, and ground) and i bought a tr-7 module which will simulate the parking brake/foot brake activation in order to allow me to do all of my wiring behind the dash (instead of having to run a wire from my brake light and from my hand brake).
Old 05-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #50
rylee44

Well I am running into some big problems, and after searching for 3 days I haven't found the answer.
I have the factory nav, so good thing: my AC is relocated already. But the bad thing: My tuner module is in the trunk. So i'm wondering what wires will be behind the dash at my disposal, or if there is nothing back there that I can use (ie: I'll have to make my own harness and buy new door speakers with a crossover)

Also, are the outputs on the factory radio powered or are they line outputs (like RCA's)? Thanks man
Old 05-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #51
3onDubs

I don't know about the factory radio outputs, but i know there's a factory amp in the trunk...so i think that's where the speakers get their power...not from the head unit (if that helps).

Also, for your fm tuner...you're going to need some sort of an extension cable to run to the front so that you can connect the antenna. I would follow this thread (Hark is looking for the same extension wire)...http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=370275
Old 05-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #52
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
when do u plan to tackle this?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #53
rylee44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet
when do u plan to tackle this?
I plan on beginning mine ASAP, i'll be waiting a couple weeks on the trim plate from mybimmer.net, but I am beginning to pull the stock nav unit out within the next couple days
Old 05-31-2006, 12:03 AM   #54
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Well I am running into some big problems, and after searching for 3 days I haven't found the answer.
I have the factory nav, so good thing: my AC is relocated already. But the bad thing: My tuner module is in the trunk. So i'm wondering what wires will be behind the dash at my disposal, or if there is nothing back there that I can use (ie: I'll have to make my own harness and buy new door speakers with a crossover)

Also, are the outputs on the factory radio powered or are they line outputs (like RCA's)? Thanks man
I also had factory nav - you'll be able to find power, ignition, etc. behind the dash - you'll have to run the antenna up to the front, though, as well as run RCAs from the front to the back, at which point you'll need a SVEN4 and a Scoche BMW wiring harness if you're going to keep the stock amp/speakers. I have a SVEN4 that I'm selling, PM me if you're interested.
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #55
rylee44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark
I also had factory nav - you'll be able to find power, ignition, etc. behind the dash - you'll have to run the antenna up to the front, though, as well as run RCAs from the front to the back, at which point you'll need a SVEN4 and a Scoche BMW wiring harness if you're going to keep the stock amp/speakers. I have a SVEN4 that I'm selling, PM me if you're interested.
What is the SVEN4? Last night I bought new 5.25" Components and adapters from Bavarian Soundwerks. Do you know which wires behind the dash are power/ground/acc? Also, will a normal 17' antenna extension from RadioShack work?
I plan on using the amp in the w200, running the speaker wires to the trunk, then implementing the factory wiring from the trunk to the doors...

Does anyone know if the PAC SWI-ALP will work with the 01' BMW 325Ci? I saw one place say it doesn't work with BMW's that have 5v controls, and I don't know what mine has.

Ryan
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM   #56
3onDubs

Quote:
What is the SVEN4?
I've never seen one in person, but i believe that it takes an rca input and converts it into a speaker wire (positive and negative) so that you can connect it directly to your stock amplifier in your trunk.

Quote:
Do you know which wires behind the dash are power/ground/acc?
They are all factory labeled. The yellow one will say "ignition" on it, the red one will say "constant power" on it, and the black one will say...i dunno if it says anything, but the black wire next to the red wire is ground.

Quote:
I plan on using the amp in the w200, running the speaker wires to the trunk, then implementing the factory wiring from the trunk to the doors...
Then you're going to want to bypass the factory amp (although i doubt the amp on the W200 will give you more power than the factory amp). IMO, you should run RCA's to the trunk and use an SVEN4 to convert the rca's into speaker wires and splice into the amp inputs.

This will utilize your 10 speaker system more accurately and you won't have to worry about the strange ohmage of the rear speakers. You didn't mention anything about your rear speakers...are you going to be keeping them or ditching them?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #57
rylee44

Well I planned on removing the factory amplifier and going aftermarket speakers front and rear with the crossovers located in the trunk area where the factory tuner module was. I hear that to get a decent sound upgrade, one should replace the speakers. I have a non HK system, just the 10channel alpine. So I plan on replacing all the factory stuff minus the wires from the trunk to the speakers.
Also, I didn't want to run RCA's to the trunk because of the possibility of picking up electrical interference along the wiring route due to the low-voltage signal.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #58
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
if you are getting the W200, or any aftermarket headuint for that matter, just run the rca's, properly ground the headunit and amplifier's and you won't have any noise issues.

Using the alpine amp, then converting those signals to rca's in the trunk makes no sense imo. Before you go down that road, just onnect the factory signal wires to some rca lugs, plug those into the outputs of the alpine rca's, then solder rcas to the harness and plug in your amp.

but converting twice doesn't make any sense.

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #59
rylee44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurley55
if you are getting the W200, or any aftermarket headuint for that matter, just run the rca's, properly ground the headunit and amplifier's and you won't have any noise issues.

Using the alpine amp, then converting those signals to rca's in the trunk makes no sense imo. Before you go down that road, just onnect the factory signal wires to some rca lugs, plug those into the outputs of the alpine rca's, then solder rcas to the harness and plug in your amp.

but converting twice doesn't make any sense.
Either I am misunderstanding or you mis-understood me. The way I stated my setup is that the W200 will power my Aftermarket component speakers front and rear.
Therefore I will be getting rid of the factory amp & factory speakers...

What you are saying makes it sound like I should keep the factory speakers and factory amp. Will I not hear a good sound difference by going aftermarket?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #60
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
there is definitely some mis understanding going on

I would ditch everything that is factory - the only thing worth keeping is the headunit, if you want to. If you are getting the W200, then you only need to run the RCA's front to rear. You had mentioned not wanting to lay rca's, so there is an alternative by using the factory wires if you want to, and converting them to RCA connections - not what I would recommend, but it's possible.

Sorry to add confusion here - my fault.

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote