E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)

Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)
Xenon lighting, HID kits, fog lights, BMW head units, navigation, speakers, subwoofers, In Car Electronics (I.C.E.), carputers, DDEs, angle eyes, halos, LED tail lights, interior lighting, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
stevederk

My Ride: 2003 325i
FS: Near-Complete E46 Audio Upgrade Using Stock Head Unit (NIB)

(Note: skip down a few paragraphs if you want to get straight to the gear and the price)

Been a while since I posted here, but I'm getting out of the game. It took a lot longer than I had planned, but I got my carPC installed in my 325I. The stereo upgrade, however, is being put on indefinite hold due to the escalating costs/time requirements of racing my motorcycle.

I bought just about everything you would need to upgrade an E46. After extensive research, everything is drop-in and absolutely top of the line. It's all new-in-box stuff, but has been opened for measuring during the planning stages of my project. I guess there's really no way to prove that this stuff is brand new other than the fact that there won't be so much as a scratch on it (and since it's been sitting in my closet for a year now, I had to clean a layer of dust off of the boxes for photographing). Everything's got all original packaging and manuals and everything.

Okay, now onto what I've got...

The highs:
Diamond Audio HEX 6.5" components (S600s) up front and Diamond Audio M361i 6.5" coax for rear fill driven by JL Audio 300/4 amplifier

The lows:
JL Audio 8W7 matched to JL Audio 250/1 monoblock amplifier (as suggested by JL)

The extras:
As this was intended to be a system that maintains the stock head unit, I bought an interface box mad by Navone Engineering to convert BMW's floating ground, twisted pair wiring into RCA outputs for the amps. After a lot of research, this is the route everyone said to go. You can see the model on the sticker.
Also, there is a gold-plated four-place fuse block for the amps and maybe a carPC if you've got one.
Two 6' RCA cables. MonsterCable spec, but not MonsterCable. (Check www.cablewholesale.com for info.)
One 3' RCA cable. Same quality as above.
Plenty of 1 guage welding lead. I've been told that with the high quality and thick shielding, this is the way to go for power wiring to the amp. And will fit in the fuse block. Maybe overkill, but it's what was recommended.

The only thing you're missing is a couple of fuses, a couple of ground cables, a couple of intermediate power cables, and a box for the sub. I was going to build a custom enclosure for it, which is why no enclosure is included here. And why I never got around to finishing this project...

Trying to get $1,200 for the whole package, which is WAY less than I paid.

Here are some pics:

The whole package:

The amps (Slash series amps--totally top of the line):

The speakers (Ditto on the Diamond Audio):

The sub:

The extras:

The BMW interface:

Bottom line is, this stuff will not shake the car next to you into pieces. It's all hand-picked to just flat-out sound good. So you may not have the loudest system, but it won't sound like utter butt like most of those super-loud systems.

Somebody buy this package before I have to piece it out on eBay! Too much work went into research and matching it all up!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
ianbiz

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
I really like it, but its a tab out of my price range. It would be going a 00 328i
ianbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
Very very nice system. Great choices. I have the same thing almost. hexs, jl 300/2,500/1, and 3 10w3s. Somebody will have a NICE setup with this package. Good luck with the sale.
auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
liangpong

My Ride: BMW 325i 2005
Where'd you buy the BMW interface module? And free bump
Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
GUAdam

My Ride: 2003 325i
PM Sent for local pick-up of diamond hexes.
GUAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
hookem12387

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to hookem12387
It sucks, Ill probably spendmmore money than this on my set up before summer is out, but I wont have the money for it till later in the summer. Bump for you
hookem12387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
dmdzlpwr

My Ride: '01 325i,'01 Ram2500
what is the interface for?
dmdzlpwr is offline   Reply With Quote