E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #41
djmatty
Banned

My Ride: Black '99 328i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to djmatty
djmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:06 AM   #42
djmatty
Banned

My Ride: Black '99 328i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to djmatty
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggaatl
I've driven an automatic since the first time I drove a car. To be quite honest, it's boring. Anyone can drive an automatic. There's no thought process at all. The first manual car I have ever owned is the one I have now. It is by far more fun to drive. I feel like I have more control over how the car reacts in different situatons as opposed to just mashing the gas, and waiting for the car to speed up. I'm not knocking automatics, Heck, I'll probably go back to driving one when I'm like 60 or something. As for now. 6 speed manuals are the best by far. Living In Germany, The manual has a huge advantage. Yeah, the gas mileage plays a huge part, but autos have no place on the Auto Baun. They get run over from not being able to keep up with the ever changing speed.
You're just looking to the wrong place.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...10&postcount=5
djmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 AM   #43
D1AllTrac

My Ride: 02 330i / GT-Four x2
oh you had to revert to the benz, ill give you that one with the drag racing thing but thats all you got.

this is the last ill post in this thread because im sure ill never get through.

the cars that you consider automatic are not automatic. just because they can shift for you and do not have a clutch pedal does not make them automatic. the difference between a manual and automatic is that a manual has a clutch and autos have torque converters. manuals will always be superior do to the fact that the mechanical linkage between the engine and wheels suffers less drivetrain loss then an auto with a torque converter.

do some research kid, im sure you think you are right but you are just ignorrant (no offense intended)

01-330i AW (RIP)
02-330i SB
88-Celica AllTrac (x2)
D1AllTrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:45 AM   #44
goowatchi

My Ride: tiag step 330ci
Send a message via AIM to goowatchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjo328ci
Anyone who buys a BMW with an automatic has no business owning or driving the car in the first place.
wow, i usually like to be a bystander in these types of discussions, but i just can't stand your ignorance and arrogance.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #45
kwlaznkid

My Ride: 335i/M3/CLK500
Send a message via AIM to kwlaznkid Send a message via Yahoo to kwlaznkid
i drive an auto and i'm damn proud of it
its more pratical for me to drive auto, stop n go traffic, needing to pick up cell fone, drinking, etc...

Need angel eyes or any lighting stuff installed in OC? PM me, cheapest around, I promise
BMW E92 328I BMW E46 M3 Mercedes Benz CLK500
BMW E92 335I (SOLD)
Porsche 996 911 C2 (SOLD)
BMW E46 325Ci (TOTALED)
kwlaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #46
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1AllTrac
manuals will always be superior do to the fact that the mechanical linkage between the engine and wheels suffers less drivetrain loss then an auto with a torque converter.
Exactly right. Give up djmatty. All the supercars you have listed have a transmission thats much closer to an SMG than to a traditional automatic.
Here's a lesson. People here call them slushboxes for a reason. Not to say that there's anything wrong with an automatic. It's more practical, but some people don't like the idea of paying more money to lose some performance in exchange for convenience. To get the true potential out of a car, you need direct mechanical linkage. The cheapest way to do that is with a manual transmission.

Last edited by Tauce says; 06-07-2006 at 04:41 AM.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:01 AM   #47
MMJ4mil

My Ride: Life
Send a message via AIM to MMJ4mil
manual is old news

its SMG Now

NWS Sigs are not allowed - Tim330i
MMJ4mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 AM   #48
Nay330Ci

My Ride: '04 330Ci
SMG/SMG-esque transmissions (electronically controlled manuals) > *

Nay330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 AM   #49
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwlaznkid
i drive an auto and i'm damn proud of it
its more pratical for me to drive auto, stop n go traffic, needing to pick up cell fone, drinking, etc...
What the hell is with kids these days not actually wanting to DRIVE their cars? They're blowing up on their damn cell phones, drinking, eating, otherwise doing everything but enjoying the driving experience. Just go buy a Toyota Yaris already. Automatics are convenient and a great luxury, but I don't know if I'd be PROUD to drive an auto...

As for the guy who said autos have less parasitic loss than manuals... You still need to learn your facts. Why do you think manuals get better gas mileage than automatics?

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #50
ELotz101

My Ride: is my walking shoes
Send a message via AIM to ELotz101
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmatty
Anyone who tries to justify a manual by saying it helps their ADD while driving...err...is sporty doesn't understand that it's useless 99.9% of the time they drive.

Btw, all REAL sports cars have autos...automatic transmissions are faster than manuals once you get to a certain point of power, since the parasitic loss isn't as great as the loss due to how much longer it takes you to shift.

So, basically, if you have a manual, it's not "sporty", it only indicates that you either 1) have an underpowered car, or 2) are trying to save money by getting the cheaper transmission that saves a small bit of money on gas.

Yeah real sports car have autos hahahahahahah. So you and my girlfriend can post the same times. Just mash a pedal who wants the involvment

01 M5
ELotz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #51
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
wow, I don't care if you buy a manual or an auto, I am just glad the BMW gives you the choice when so many other cars in the same class do not. I personally prefer an manual.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #52
MFarrZHP

My Ride: Has 6 speeds
Although at the moment I have 2 automatics which are mainly used as commuters, I've owned several manuals. Each has their pros/cons, but in a pure sports car I would only ever get manual/SMG. The CLK DTM may be the 1 exception to that rule, and I would like it even more if it was SMG.

SMGs will most likely be the transmission of choice, as it becomes faster and smoother (it is already heading in that direction). IMO, the standard manual will be more of a nostalgic feature. I have raced formula dodge cars with a standard unsynchronized 4 speed. It really gets you involved into what is going on with the car, as double declutching is mandatory for downshifts. However, it is also much harder and less efficient than simply flicking two paddles.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #53
phattbam

My Ride: '08 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
wow, I don't care if you buy a manual or an auto, I am just glad the BMW gives you the choice when so many other cars in the same class do not. I personally prefer an manual.

well put.. AMG's only give the speedshift choice..
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #54
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

My Ride: 2006 X5 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjo328ci
Anyone who buys a BMW with an automatic has no business owning or driving the car in the first place.
Lame.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #55
Unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert
Hey guys,

I found this in this months magazine...no manual?

Sorry for the picture quality. The picture is a camoflagued E90 sedan for sure so the picture quality doesn't matter too much. But the text was interesting. My camera phone sucks indoors!!

Much like the new ///M5 & ///M6, BMW will offer a traditional manual a year later.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #56
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Here is the thread on www.E90Fanatics.com -

http://forum.e90fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1317

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #57
e46m54325ci
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Has TWO Turbos!!!
Send a message via AIM to e46m54325ci
why did this have to become an auto vs manual debate???? but since it is, here goes. I like stick better because:

1. I pay attention to driving and to driving only, no phones, no food, no distractions.
2. The launches are better and I can downshit when I want to (yea the steps are nice but the downshifts take longer to respond to your input)
3. I can down shift very nicely while coming to a stop. Since I live in a hilly area this is great because if I had an auto my brakes would be gone so damn fast.
4. I can leave it in a lower gear accelerating kind of slowly to about 4k rpm and then punch it to redline and let tha vanos work it's magic without having to downshit.
5. I actually get to kick a pedal when I shift. Whenever I drive the steps I find myself kicking at the floor of the car, lol.

I am not saying this can't be done in a step or smg, the latter of which it would be very easy to do in. But the steps are just dogs for these cars and aren't they made by GM in a french factory too?? Now all this being said, go read the tests even the SMGs are a tad slower than the BMW sticks due to therir launch procedures. the BMW autos just aren't up to the performance levels of MB/Audi/Porsche autos yet, not to mention the Ferrari and lambo autos. After all BMWs slogan is Freude am Fahren- "joy in driving or joy to drive" or in the US the "Ultimate Driving Machine" IE not the ultimate performance machine, so I think that slogan would involve some actual driving done by the driver???!!?
Old 06-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #58
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesethoughtsru
damn, EXACTLY what i was gonna say lol
great minds think alike

This has turned into an Auto v. Manual Battle, While i drive Auto, Manual is better for performance, u can launch a pure manual, u cannot launch an Auto or SMG

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #59
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Actually you can launch SMG, it does it automatically and pretty well.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #60
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says
Actually you can launch SMG, it does it automatically and pretty well.
ive used my friends SMG launch Control and it sucks, it revs up to 1800 and dumps the clutch, not smooth at all, and it doesnt seem to improve the launch by that much

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote