E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #1
50sKid

My Ride: 330i
DIY: CCV Replace & Intake Manifold Removal

part 1:

part 2:

Frustrated with those other CCV replacement videos where they basically tell you to fish those tubes through the intake manifold blind? Well in my video I go ahead and remove the intake manifold, which lets you get access to replace a lot of vacuum lines and other components, and in doing so I give you a view of exactly how to fish the CCV tube through the manifold and hook it to the oil separator so that you can SEE what you need to do clearly, should you decide not to remove it.

To see the video on how to remove all the usual suspects:

I also clean the throttle body and idle air control valve, which really gave me a boost in responsiveness, by the way.

In part 2 I will show you the various vacuum lines you can replace as well as the intake manifold gasket and I show you how to put everything back together.

To get a set of the cold climate CCV components:
http://goo.gl/RDA6wX

Which consists of:
11617533400 - oil separator
11617533398 - valve cover to separator tube
11617533399 - intake manifold to separator tube
11157532629 - oil dipstick drain tube
11617504536 - intake manifold return tube

To get a set of the standard CCV components:
http://goo.gl/91Qxz2

Which consists of:
11617501566 - oil separator
11611432559 - valve cover to separator tube
11617504535 - intake manifold to separator tube
11157532649 - oil dipstick drain tube
11617504536 - intake manifold return tube

To get an Intake Manifold Gasket Set:
http://goo.gl/pmeFKd

Good luck!
-Jason
50sKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Delineation

My Ride: JapanRot 05 325i
Is the Intake Manifold removal the same for the M54 engine as it is for the M52?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Gus-CO

My Ride: 323ci
Basically the same. A few hoses are different, nothing major.
Gus-CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #4
soul786

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Watching your videos gives me confidence to work on this car! Thank you!

Last edited by soul786; 05-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.
soul786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
crxgator

My Ride: 2000 323i wagon
I used your videos. Thanks.

Mine is a bit different due to the fact it's a 323i with a cable operated throttle. I noticed my fuel line connection is different and I have more brackets on the right side of the manifold (for anyone else with a 323 looking to do this).
crxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
The_AK

My Ride: 330ci
Thanks for the videos, I decided to go this route as well and just waiting for my parts to come in from ECS
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
50sKid

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxgator View Post
I used your videos. Thanks.

Mine is a bit different due to the fact it's a 323i with a cable operated throttle. I noticed my fuel line connection is different and I have more brackets on the right side of the manifold (for anyone else with a 323 looking to do this).
Yeah you've got an M52 engine, as opposed to the M54 that I have. I was just over at my buddy's house and he's got the same (2.8 instead of your 2.3). You've got a fuel rail with a return line so there are two quick-connect fuel hoses. I also noticed a vacuum line running to the top front of the fuel rail.

Minor differences that anyone looking to do this job can pretty much figure out, as you did!
50sKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #8
I800129

My Ride: 2004 330ci Convert
I know this post is old but I had to say Thanks for the great video! My starter died and I used your video.
I initially tried to remove the starter without taking the intake manifold off, I wish I just would have started right away removing the manifold, it would have been much easier. It probably took 15 minutes (I had already removed everything underneath).

The only problem I ran into was when I removed the fuel rail, a few of the fuel injector o-rings came off....and of course one fell into the blackhole of the engine...but at $3 each, I figured I would just put all new ones on anyway since I was in there.

Also on my 2004 330ci convertible, I had far fewer vacuum hoses.

So thanks again for your great video!!! Anyone out there trying to avoid removing it, just do it, it was very easy! The funny thing, about 2 months ago I had to replace the CCV and pipes. I did this without removing the manifold...it took forever!! I wish I would have done this then.

Cheers,
Jim
I800129 is offline   Reply With Quote