E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
e90Unicorn

My Ride: 2011 328i, 2001 325i
'01 325i auto >> m52tub28 + 250G manual [pics]

okay so I suck at containing my excitement. the game plan is this
  1. Aquire 2001 325i auto DONE
  2. Aquire 2000 328i manual swapped DONE
  3. pull both motors DONE
  4. strip m52tub28 to bare metal DONE
  5. move all components and sensors from m54b25 to the m52tu DONE
  6. drop the m52tu into the 2001 chasis while maintaining all ms43 electronics/intake DONE
  7. code the auto to manual, reflash dme and reset variants/adapts DONE
  8. ms43 launch control and tuning

shout out to my little white pony for being a good sport about sharing the spotlight for once.

]

Last edited by e90Unicorn; 06-08-2016 at 07:23 PM.
e90Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
e90Unicorn

update:

I pulled out the exhaust, driveshaft, heatsheild, front end, radiator, powersteering, AC lines, and fuel lines. theres also some electrical plugs going down to the fuel filter assembly, vacuum hoses all over the place, heater lines and the tiny ground strap. I hooked a chain to the motor and began to pull it out. took some wiggling and adjusting of the load leveler but it came out okay. if you work it out slowly then youll run into the little things you may have missed. my headers kept bumping into everything and my oil pan got scratched along the way but it was a very slow and controlled process. im very satisfied with my first attempt at pulling a motor. expecially by myself. the biggest pain in the ass is prepping everything so the motor could be pulled. i got lazy to remove my airboxes since i had done that and reinstalled just last week. in return the chain damaged my fuel rail. its fine since i wont be reusing that. i started tuesday around 7pm-10pm. wednesday from 4pm-6pm. thursday i worked from 7am till 8pm. some home depot trips for chains, size 12 esocket at autozone, lunch and working alone made the process drag out pretty long but i feel like it was actually fast.

Pics:

update part 2:
over the weekend i had time to work on the cars again. i pulled out the door panels from my 325i, and replaced em with the panels from the 328i which were still beat but not destroyed. I broke a clip on the door handle actuator cable so i pulled it out of the 328i to replace it. having a parts car is amazing. i will definitely do this again. started pulling off the silver trim to move to the 325i but that didnt go so smoothly. im still reevaluating my decisions. but the 328i is just a shell. if anyone wants it feel free to pm. im in South Fl. it has great paint.

After having quite a few drinks at a friends house, I came back home and decided to start stripping the motor down. it was a nice way to spend the night. pulled intake and exhaust off and coils also. not to mention the electrical harness.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
cwarel

My Ride: e46 325, CAI,headers
Someone did valve cover gasket on that engine , you can see that slack of RTV there))))
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
e90Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Someone did valve cover gasket on that engine , you can see that slack of RTV there))))
Thanks, I saw that too. it doesnt leak thankfully but there are leaks going on near the oil filter housing and powersteering reservoir. that should be fun (not)

i might sell the whole thing when its all said and done. i just wanted to do this project for the experience.

edit. when i pick up a coupe and really decide on keeping it, im going to do the m56 aluminum valve cover and ccv delete. i honestly dont trust a plastic valve cover to last "forever"

Last edited by e90Unicorn; 05-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.