E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #2001
spicytuna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 307
My Ride: 06 E90 325i 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
If the iPod is left in the vehicle overnight, it will go into deep sleep mode. Removing the connector, turning the iPod on and reconnecting should do the trick.



This is normal on >2001 radios, 2002+ do not have the Double Button press.



Try relocating your DICE module to a different area of the vehicle, or using the radio harness for a shorter cable length, minimizing the chance of EFI.



>2001 radios needs 2 button presses to execute a command. One will clear the text, the other gives the command.



This depends on your specific album, artist or playlist. If there are only 6 songs in the browsing method you have chosen, it will reach the end and await your next command.



Pressing the << >> keys on the radio or steering wheel will fast forward or rewind a track.



Pressing the RND key will enable shuffle mode.
Sometimes pressing the ANY of the buttons will have no results. I will sit there for a long ass time tapping away and the device does nothing.

How much is the radio harness? Can we just do an even swap for the long cable I already have?
__________________
RIP '01 330ci
spicytuna is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #2002
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Sometimes pressing the ANY of the buttons will have no results. I will sit there for a long ass time tapping away and the device does nothing.

How much is the radio harness? Can we just do an even swap for the long cable I already have?
Have you verified the positions of your DIP switches? They should be in the DOWN UP UP UP positions, this slows down the text and allows for the commands to come through a bit easier on older radios such as yours.

As per the wiring harness, as long as you are within 30 days of your purchase - we can have this exchanged for you. Please contact me directly by email with your full name so I can send instructions.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #2003
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caobhin View Post
howdy,

new to the forum, DICE and BMW since June

have a 04 330Ci, with a non-nav Business CD headunit. got my dice silverline this weekend and trying to install it to work with my 4th gen 20GB ipod w/ FM 3.3.1.

no 'dice' - ipod not being recognized, nor getting any power from the connected dice unit. pressing 'mode' on the headunit only toggles between radio and in-dash CD. any help appreciated!!

- Kevin
Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by caobhin View Post
howdy,

not sure why other posts got a reply from Tom today, but not mine. feelin' no luv from the forum

i suppose i have a defective dice unit (it's actually a silverline). tested the power leads and I am getting juice at the end of the line before it goes into the dice unit.

very disappointed by dice so far - installing this defective unit and troubleshooting it cost me most of my saturday. was expecting more of a quality product and a little doubtful about what I've purchased here.
Sorry, missed your post. Are you installing a radio or trunk interface kit?
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #2004
caliboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 61
My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Tom sometimes when i start the car it says paused and i need to push next which starts the next song/artist ...it gets annoying as i am listening to a set and would like to start where i left it when i turned the car off..

also it stopped scrolling again...do i need to disconnect the battery cables again?
caliboy is offline  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #2005
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboy View Post
Tom sometimes when i start the car it says paused and i need to push next which starts the next song/artist ...it gets annoying as i am listening to a set and would like to start where i left it when i turned the car off..

also it stopped scrolling again...do i need to disconnect the battery cables again?
When it pauses - it's reached the end of a Playlist, Artist or Album (depending on what browsing mode you are in). If the battery cables were not disconnected during the initial installation - they need to be.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #2006
hammerheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 78
My Ride: 02 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Sure, email me directly and I can provide you one.
Thanks a lot for your instruction. Problems have been solved. Previously, I plugged the white plug to the right side (should plug to the left side). Without the instruction, I would never know that
hammerheart is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #2007
sondiego
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2004 330ci
DICE Silver Firewire Charging

Has DICE released a new cable to charge the new iPhone yet?

Thanks.
sondiego is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #2008
bimmerchop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 11,039
My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
You've got a PM Tom
__________________
- Rich - Flickr - Stage 3+ TiAL B5 S4

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline  
Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #2009
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondiego View Post
Has DICE released a new cable to charge the new iPhone yet?

Thanks.
Look for the new cables in Late Nov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
You've got a PM Tom
Reply coming soon.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #2010
kpd1999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: W-S, N.C.
Posts: 600
My Ride: Begins with an ///M
Im thinking of ordering the DICE HD radio w/ the IPOD cable. Anyone had any experience with this unit? (Im not even sure if they have been released yet.)
__________________
///M3 <---Adopted by a new owner. E60 535i coming up!
kpd1999 is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #2011
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd1999 View Post
Im thinking of ordering the DICE HD radio w/ the IPOD cable. Anyone had any experience with this unit? (Im not even sure if they have been released yet.)
There's a new version coming out shortly that integrates the SILVERLINE features along with HD radio.

Kits will begin shipping on Mid Oct.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #2012
GrooveSync
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
My Ride: E46 M3
Problem with dice silverline ipod kit.

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with this one. Just installed last weekend a new dice silverline in my BMW M3 2004 with Nav, however i have 2 major problems
1: can't get sound from the right side of the car only on the left, checked with the radio and all is fine. With the ipod you can just hear i muffled sound from the right side speakers.
2: cannot get the text to scroll, all i am seeing is 8 large characters. On setup i selected disk 6 track 6 like the manual states for a car with navigation but no scrolling.
Really hope someone can steer me in the right direction to get this sorted out.

Thanks
GrooveSync
GrooveSync is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #2013
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveSync View Post
Hi all, hoping someone can help me with this one. Just installed last weekend a new dice silverline in my BMW M3 2004 with Nav, however i have 2 major problems
1: can't get sound from the right side of the car only on the left, checked with the radio and all is fine. With the ipod you can just hear i muffled sound from the right side speakers.
2: cannot get the text to scroll, all i am seeing is 8 large characters. On setup i selected disk 6 track 6 like the manual states for a car with navigation but no scrolling.
Really hope someone can steer me in the right direction to get this sorted out.

Thanks
GrooveSync
Check the connection on the 6-pin adapter to make sure there are no bent or missing pins. Also, if there is a case on the iPod - remove it temporarily in case it is preventing the docking cable from making a secure connection.

You should be in CD6/TRACK6 for NAV. Then return to CD1 to exit text selection mode.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #2014
GrooveSync
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
My Ride: E46 M3
Dice silverline still not working

Hi Tom thanks for getting back to me so soon. I have checked the 6 pin connector and all seems fine also there is no case on the ipod and the cable is sitting in the ipod firmly.
I am in CD6/Track 6 as far as i am aware. Is there a technique to reset the dice so i can re program the unit just in case i did something wrong initially? and is it possible to reset it without pulling all the trim from the trunk again. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
GrooveSync
GrooveSync is offline  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #2015
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveSync View Post
Hi Tom thanks for getting back to me so soon. I have checked the 6 pin connector and all seems fine also there is no case on the ipod and the cable is sitting in the ipod firmly.
I am in CD6/Track 6 as far as i am aware. Is there a technique to reset the dice so i can re program the unit just in case i did something wrong initially? and is it possible to reset it without pulling all the trim from the trunk again. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
GrooveSync
The proper way is a battery reset by performing the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if you need anything else.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #2016
spicytuna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 307
My Ride: 06 E90 325i 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
As per the wiring harness, as long as you are within 30 days of your purchase - we can have this exchanged for you. Please contact me directly by email with your full name so I can send instructions.
Hi Tom, I emailed you a while back regarding this and I still haven't heard from you.
__________________
RIP '01 330ci
spicytuna is offline  
Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #2017
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Hi Tom, I emailed you a while back regarding this and I still haven't heard from you.
All emails have been answered - can you resend?
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #2018
GrooveSync
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
My Ride: E46 M3
Still having problem with Dice Silverline in BMW M3 2004

Hi Tom, i carried out the steps you gave me regarding resetting the Dice Module and did have some luck with the text scrolling, however after removing the ipod from the car to add more music and reattaching - no text scrolling again !!!!! Surely i don't have to reset the device every time i detach the ipod from the car? Any ideas?
Also i am still getting barely any signal from the right hand side of the car in fact i am getting more digital noise than music which sounds horrible. I have checked the 3 pin and 6 pin leads again and both are not damaged and there are no broken pins, all EQ settings on the ipod are off and the radio plays perfectly. Hope you can help as i have just about given up.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
GrooveSync.
GrooveSync is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #2019
tom @ eas
european auto source
 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,584
My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveSync View Post
Hi Tom, i carried out the steps you gave me regarding resetting the Dice Module and did have some luck with the text scrolling, however after removing the ipod from the car to add more music and reattaching - no text scrolling again !!!!! Surely i don't have to reset the device every time i detach the ipod from the car? Any ideas?
Also i am still getting barely any signal from the right hand side of the car in fact i am getting more digital noise than music which sounds horrible. I have checked the 3 pin and 6 pin leads again and both are not damaged and there are no broken pins, all EQ settings on the ipod are off and the radio plays perfectly. Hope you can help as i have just about given up.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
GrooveSync.
Was the iPod powered on before plugging into the DICE kit? As for the audio quality - it is a bit hard to diagnose without seeing the connections, but a multimeter will confirm a secure connection.
tom @ eas is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #2020
GrooveSync
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
My Ride: E46 M3
Dice silverline

Hi Tom, i just had another go at the reset and the scrolling text is working, but the audio quality is really bad, if i change the balance on the stereo to he right there is no sound at all (or possibly slight but very muffled) all of the sound is coming from the left side of the car only. Also there seems to be alot of squelchy digital noise especially easy to hear this when here are quiet passages in the music. Hope you can help

GrooveSync.
GrooveSync is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use