E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #2041
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactiveman View Post
Got it installed!

When the text is being displayed its hard to get to anything else. I have to push a button really fast until it take. Whenever I push a button(Disc, bass/treble, etc) it want to go back to the text right away. Is this normal?

Brian
For pre 2001 radios, the text can be slowed down by setting the DIP switches in the DOWN UP UP UP postilions. You will require a battery reset if the positions are changed.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #2042
dondino

My Ride: e46 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveSync View Post
1: can't get sound from the right side of the car only on the left, checked with the radio and all is fine. With the ipod you can just hear i muffled sound from the right side speakers.
Really hope someone can steer me in the right direction to get this sorted out.
Thanks
GrooveSync
I have exactly the same problem as GrooveSync... if i move the balance all to left, then the bad interference noise on the right goes away..but the quality...is so mono!! And if you move the balance to right, the sound fades away and leave space just to the disturbed noise Might be a false contact or a not properly isolated cable? Should we try to isolate the connectors with some black ribbon? In my case I hear the disturbed flashing rumor noise even with ONLY the 3 pin cable connected (without audio connector plugged in). Maybe its just that we have a different cd-changer cable? I will try to post maybe some pics of the cables involved in my case.
Groove, did u solve the problem? Please let me know... I miss my 6 cd-changer and its quality...

Last edited by dondino; 10-14-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #2043
radioactiveman

My Ride: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
For pre 2001 radios, the text can be slowed down by setting the DIP switches in the DOWN UP UP UP postilions. You will require a battery reset if the positions are changed.
I will give that a try right now.

Also it seems that the DICE changes the repeat mode to ONE on the ipod each time I plug it in. Any info on that.

Brian
Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #2044
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post
I have exactly the same problem as GrooveSync... if i move the balance all to left, then the bad interference noise on the right goes away..but the quality...is so mono!! And if you move the balance to right, the sound fades away and leave space just to the disturbed noise Might be a false contact or a not properly isolated cable? Should we try to isolate the connectors with some black ribbon? In my case I hear the disturbed flashing rumor noise even with ONLY the 3 pin cable connected (without audio connector plugged in). Maybe its just that we have a different cd-changer cable? I will try to post maybe some pics of the cables involved in my case.
Groove, did u solve the problem? Please let me know... I miss my 6 cd-changer and its quality...
With a multimeter, you can perform a continuity test of the wires in the 6-pin cable to the 10 pin cable behind the radio (bottom left, looking at the back of the radio) to see if they are severed, otherwise - the problem can lie within the module, dock cable or iPod connector.

A continuity test and different iPod will rule out these 2 possibilities.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #2045
Kronk42583

My Ride: 2002 325i
i apologize if this has been covered, but i've read quite a bit and haven't found my answer. before i learned of the DICE module, i bought an ipod connector from crutchfield made my USA Spec. it installs the same way as the trunk DICE unit. it works well but there is one problem. when the car's lights are on, there is a significant buzzing sound. when i turn the lights off, the problem goes away. it gets worse if the interior light dimmer is anything other than on the highest setting. i have returned the item and gotten a replacement, but the problem remains. im thinking of returning that and getting the DICE. i like how the unit worked, and am not sure how similar the DICE is. on the USA spec unit, you had text display, and the 5 BMW playlists with full steering wheel controls. you could also pick up your ipod and have full control without changing any settings. they called this "Hybrid mode" a cross between playlist mode and direct ipod mode. another thing, i have the ipod classic with the latest firmware, which isn't compatible with hybrid mode, so i have to choose direct or playlist. does the DICE also have this limitation? is not a huge issue, as i may just trade with a friend for an older ipod.

basically, i want to be able to control the ipod through both the factory deck, and the be able to use ipod controls at the same time. the USA Spec unit lets you do this, at least for ipods with older firmware. also, has anyone had issues with noise or buzzing problems with the DICE?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #2046
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk42583 View Post
i apologize if this has been covered, but i've read quite a bit and haven't found my answer. before i learned of the DICE module, i bought an ipod connector from crutchfield made my USA Spec. it installs the same way as the trunk DICE unit. it works well but there is one problem. when the car's lights are on, there is a significant buzzing sound. when i turn the lights off, the problem goes away. it gets worse if the interior light dimmer is anything other than on the highest setting. i have returned the item and gotten a replacement, but the problem remains. im thinking of returning that and getting the DICE. i like how the unit worked, and am not sure how similar the DICE is. on the USA spec unit, you had text display, and the 5 BMW playlists with full steering wheel controls. you could also pick up your ipod and have full control without changing any settings. they called this "Hybrid mode" a cross between playlist mode and direct ipod mode. another thing, i have the ipod classic with the latest firmware, which isn't compatible with hybrid mode, so i have to choose direct or playlist. does the DICE also have this limitation? is not a huge issue, as i may just trade with a friend for an older ipod.

basically, i want to be able to control the ipod through both the factory deck, and the be able to use ipod controls at the same time. the USA Spec unit lets you do this, at least for ipods with older firmware. also, has anyone had issues with noise or buzzing problems with the DICE?
The USA Spec is limited in features, it's essentially the BMW kit with an AUX port. However DICE gives the following additional features:

Browse by Artist with full Artist Directory listings
Browse by Album with full Album Directory listings
Browse by Playlist with full Playlist Directory listings
ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play.

There is no text display on the USA Spec. I would recommend returning it and getting the DICE, which is a much better buy for the money.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #2047
dondino

Quote:
With a multimeter, you can perform a continuity test of the wires in the 6-pin cable to the 10 pin cable behind the radio (bottom left, looking at the back of the radio) to see if they are severed, otherwise - the problem can lie within the module, dock cable or iPod connector.

A continuity test and different iPod will rule out these 2 possibilities.
Hi tom,
these are the cables I had in the back of my 6 cd-changer:

As you can see... on the 3 pin supply I have first brown (ground) then a red/green wire and a red/white wire. Can you tell me if in my case I need maybe to invert these last 2 wires? As i told you.. the interface buzz even with just that 3 pin supply connected... that makes me think that the problem is there.
Groove, if you can read this message...these are the same cables you have behind the cd-changer?

Last edited by dondino; 10-15-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #2048
Aps

My Ride: C4s
Smile At last!!

Having just bought a Dice and tried to get the text working.
2 days of scratching my head till i found this web site.
Using Toms technique,it now works great.
So a big thanks from me in the UK and great website
Quote:
Perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

With NAV, you need to be in CD6/TRACK6 mode. Let me know if these steps correct the problem.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #2049
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino View Post
Hi tom,
these are the cables I had in the back of my 6 cd-changer:

As you can see... on the 3 pin supply I have first brown (ground) then a red/green wire and a red/white wire. Can you tell me if in my case I need maybe to invert these last 2 wires? As i told you.. the interface buzz even with just that 3 pin supply connected... that makes me think that the problem is there.
Groove, if you can read this message...these are the same cables you have behind the cd-changer?
No wires need to be changed, especially on the 3-pin connector. the 6-pin connector terminates to a 10-pin connector behind the radio. A continuity test will verify the wires are intact.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #2050
sondiego

My Ride: 2004 330ci
On the topic of the firewire cable not charging iPhone 3G...

For those of you who don't want to wait for DICE. GOOD NEWS!!!

http://www.scosche.com/passport

LOL - sorry, wrong link. Fixed.

Last edited by sondiego; 10-16-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #2051
Kronk42583

My Ride: 2002 325i
i don't get it.... outlaw demo meeting?? ????
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #2052
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactiveman View Post
I will give that a try right now.

Also it seems that the DICE changes the repeat mode to ONE on the ipod each time I plug it in. Any info on that.

Brian
I have had this problem on & off as well. I don't think I have ever had it happen with the switches in the ON-OFF-OFF-OFF position.

Did flipping switch # 1 clear up the issue?

Last edited by steve.325i; 10-18-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #2053
dondino

Quote:
No wires need to be changed, especially on the 3-pin connector. the 6-pin connector terminates to a 10-pin connector behind the radio. A continuity test will verify the wires are intact.
The wires were ok. I shipped the interface back to where I bought it and they just wrote me that they found an unsoldered component in it (rare case). I will get a brand new one next week.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #2054
jwiley

My Ride: 1999 323i
Received my Dice radio mount unit yesterday and spent 2.5 hours installing last night...And it doesn't recognize the ipod.

Valid Complaint #1. If you are going to sell units that install in two different places, provide instructions for both units. My instructions were for the trunk mount.

Valid Complaint #2. The website should warn future purchasers of the radio mount unit that there is way insufficient room behind the stereo to hold everything. Prepare to sacrifice knuckle skin, brush up on your foul language, and keep all throwable tools to a minimum. I had to disassemble the factory harness in order to jam everything back in.

Valid Complaint #3. There needs to be better troubleshooting info in the instructions when the unit doesn't function as advertised.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #2055
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Received my Dice radio mount unit yesterday and spent 2.5 hours installing last night...And it doesn't recognize the ipod.

Valid Complaint #1. If you are going to sell units that install in two different places, provide instructions for both units. My instructions were for the trunk mount.
Email me directly and I will be happy to send a copy of the instructions.

Quote:
Valid Complaint #2. The website should warn future purchasers of the radio mount unit that there is way insufficient room behind the stereo to hold everything. Prepare to sacrifice knuckle skin, brush up on your foul language, and keep all throwable tools to a minimum. I had to disassemble the factory harness in order to jam everything back in.
Sounds like you're placing the DICE module within the radio tray, it will need to be placed behind it.

Quote:
Valid Complaint #3. There needs to be better troubleshooting info in the instructions when the unit doesn't function as advertised.
We have this thread as a reference or you can call us directly for troubleshooting help if needed.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #2056
stjules

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP
Send a message via Yahoo to stjules
Tom

I bought a DICE from EAS about a year ago and at that time it wouldn't allow you to use the ipod controls (classic 80gb MB147LL/A) simultaneously with the text display. Has there been a fix? or is there a new DICE module that would allow this functionality?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #2057
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjules View Post
Tom

I bought a DICE from EAS about a year ago and at that time it wouldn't allow you to use the ipod controls (classic 80gb MB147LL/A) simultaneously with the text display. Has there been a fix? or is there a new DICE module that would allow this functionality?
This is normal operation, DICE has no plans to disable locking unless reverting to Simple UI mode.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #2058
ucirsx

My Ride: s2k
2003 m3 with navi

my dice stopped working last week. everyone time i plug in the ipod, it says "detached" however it is connected.

basically the dice only works as a charger. i did not change any settings and started acting up one day. did something go wrong? please help, if you know.

thanks tom
Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #2059
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucirsx View Post
2003 m3 with navi

my dice stopped working last week. everyone time i plug in the ipod, it says "detached" however it is connected.

basically the dice only works as a charger. i did not change any settings and started acting up one day. did something go wrong? please help, if you know.

thanks tom
Start by performing a battery reset. Perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #2060
gimmedatbike

My Ride: 2001 325ci
So does the Dice support USB charging now for the iphone 3g? I see on the website it says that it is available. Any way to upgrade the dice I already have so it will charge my Iphone?
Closed Thread