E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #2201
canaryM

My Ride: is strong like bull
Tom,

I Installed my DICE unit to my 16:9 Navi unit and once I got things hooked up, everything seemed to be working fine. The radio was set to disc 6 and the text was reading out on the navi screen (on the left part of the screen). When I tried to get to my navigation menu, I noticed that when the text scrolled, I would get bumped out of the menu and back to the text read-out. I then started playing around with the disc number that the DICE plays over. When I tried disc 4, the text read-out relocated to the upper right corner and I was able to get to my menus with no problem but then it all just stopped working. Turned the car off and left it over night and when I got back to it the next day, I changed the discs again and ended back up at disc 4 again. Now, everything works fine but no text read-out. I just don't get it.

///Sport Package | Nav | Park Distance Control | LED tails
///M3 Lip spoiler | Adaptive Xenons | 62 LED Angel Eyes

Last edited by canaryM; 02-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #2202
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaryM View Post
Tom,

I Installed my DICE unit to my 16:9 Navi unit and once I got things hooked up, everything seemed to be working fine. The radio was set to disc 6 and the text was reading out on the navi screen (on the left part of the screen). When I tried to get to my navigation menu, I noticed that when the text scrolled, I would get bumped out of the menu and back to the text read-out. I then started playing around with the disc number that the DICE plays over. When I tried disc 4, the text read-out relocated to the upper right corner and I was able to get to my menus with no problem but then it all just stopped working. Turned the car off and left it over night and when I got back to it the next day, I changed the discs again and ended back up at disc 4 again. Now, everything works fine but no text read-out. I just don't get it.
Give me a call tomorrow during business hours from your BMW and let's go over troubleshooting in real time.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #2203
canaryM

My Ride: is strong like bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Give me a call tomorrow during business hours from your BMW and let's go over troubleshooting in real time.

Thanks a lot, Tom. I won't be able to call you during business hours tomorrow because I'll be at work but I'll try to give you a call from my car as soon as I possibly can.

///Sport Package | Nav | Park Distance Control | LED tails
///M3 Lip spoiler | Adaptive Xenons | 62 LED Angel Eyes
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #2204
prematureapex

My Ride: E46 M
Sorry for the questions, new to BMW's and to ipods...

I just bought an i-phone and am looking to use it in my 02 M3. First things first, does the iphone only work with the silverline dice, or can you use an older verison.

Number 2, I have the stock amp removed. Specifically, stock signal wiring from the head unit is going to an aftermarket amp. Will this affect my ability to plug into the CD changer plug? If so, do I have to buy the radio hookup version rather than the CD changer version?

Thanks, sorry for being a pain.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #2205
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post
Sorry for the questions, new to BMW's and to ipods...

I just bought an i-phone and am looking to use it in my 02 M3. First things first, does the iphone only work with the silverline dice, or can you use an older verison.

Number 2, I have the stock amp removed. Specifically, stock signal wiring from the head unit is going to an aftermarket amp. Will this affect my ability to plug into the CD changer plug? If so, do I have to buy the radio hookup version rather than the CD changer version?

Thanks, sorry for being a pain.
You can use the pre-SILVERLINE model, but it won't support charging for the iPhone. All kits sold today are SILVERLINE and provide charging support for all iPod models, including 3G iPhone.

Does your M3 have Business CD or Navigation?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #2206
prematureapex

^^^Just the business CD player.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #2207
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
^^^Just the business CD player.
Simply go with the radio interface kit as listed here:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Radio Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1620
Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #2208
prematureapex

Quote:
Simply go with the radio interface kit as listed here:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Radio Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1620
Does that mean the CD changer interface will not work?

Thanks

John
Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #2209
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Does that mean the CD changer interface will not work?

Thanks

John
The In-dash player will work fine, the CD Changer is disabled when the DICE is installed.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #2210
prematureapex

Quote:
The In-dash player will work fine, the CD Changer is disabled when the DICE is installed.
Ok, sorry, just clarifying: My use of an aftermarket amplifier wired as described above will not affect my ability to use the cd-changer interface DICE version.

I do not have a CD changer...just want to make sure I can still use th pre-wiring for it in light of my aftermarket installation on the rear harness.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #2211
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Ok, sorry, just clarifying: My use of an aftermarket amplifier wired as described above will not affect my ability to use the cd-changer interface DICE version.

I do not have a CD changer...just want to make sure I can still use th pre-wiring for it in light of my aftermarket installation on the rear harness.
It shouldn't, the CD Changer input goes directly into the radio HU, not the amp.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #2212
63ragtop

My Ride: 2003 325i, 5 speed
Quick question about the iPhone, which may of already been answered. Do the calls ring and audio of the caller play through the Car stereo, or is it just through the iPhone itself.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #2213
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63ragtop View Post
Quick question about the iPhone, which may of already been answered. Do the calls ring and audio of the caller play through the Car stereo, or is it just through the iPhone itself.

Thanks,
Steve
The audio will mute while a call is in progress - all phone features (and audio) are via the phone itself.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #2214
silverblue3

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
I received the dice kit for my 2005 e46 330ci coupe. I'm unable to find the 3 pin and the six pin connectors. The only connectors I found were these:

Is that the right connector?

ANy help would be appreciated.

THanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #2215
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblue3 View Post
I received the dice kit for my 2005 e46 330ci coupe. I'm unable to find the 3 pin and the six pin connectors. The only connectors I found were these:

Is that the right connector?

ANy help would be appreciated.

THanks.
Congrats - you found the telephone connectors.

The CD Changer wiring is in another cloth bundle behind the factory amp:

Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #2216
silverblue3

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
No luck in finding the CD changer wires. Maybe I'll look tomorrow again when its brighter. Could it be possible that my car was not pre-wired for it?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #2217
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblue3 View Post
No luck in finding the CD changer wires. Maybe I'll look tomorrow again when its brighter. Could it be possible that my car was not pre-wired for it?
All US cars are prewired. It's definitely back there.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #2218
zirken_323ci

My Ride: bmw 323ci
ok... i have a problem that was brought up on the first page. whenever the dice player is plugged in i get a quiet clicking sound (both ipod in and out). now pretty much daily my ipod will randomly stop playing and the output is like a really loud clicking or something. to fix this i have to unplug the wires going into the device. it is starting to get really annoying as i fix it daily, if not more.
did i do something wrong or is the device ineffective?

your help would be really appreciated, thanks.
tyler
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #2219
tchen811

My Ride: 2005 M3 SMG
Can't get to Nav screen

Hi Tom,

I just bought the DICE unit from you and it works great except that I cannot toggle to my NAV screen. Every time I hit the menu button to go to the map screen it quickly jumps to the speed dial screen. I can only access the maps screen if I am back on the radio. Just so you know, i set the dip switches so that my IPod is not locked when it's connected so that I can control via my ipod touch. Any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #2220
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirken_323ci View Post
ok... i have a problem that was brought up on the first page. whenever the dice player is plugged in i get a quiet clicking sound (both ipod in and out). now pretty much daily my ipod will randomly stop playing and the output is like a really loud clicking or something. to fix this i have to unplug the wires going into the device. it is starting to get really annoying as i fix it daily, if not more.
did i do something wrong or is the device ineffective?

your help would be really appreciated, thanks.
tyler
Radio or trunk interface kit? How long have you had the kit and has this been present from the start?
Closed Thread