E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #221
tingbro1

My Ride: 2002 330i
Thanks Tom. Unlocking the scroll wheel helps, but I've gotten spoiled by being able to scroll for artists with the Nav button and Nav screen (my ipod is stored in the glove box). Will likely have to move it back to my euro tray or armrest.

If I decide to order, will do so through your site.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #222
Solo118

My Ride: '02 330ci, '12 MDX
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
quick question tom,
is the dice tutorial on your website the same as for icelink? i want to install it right now but i dont want to mess anything up

thanks!

Gone and will be missed!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #223
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
quick question tom,
is the dice tutorial on your website the same as for icelink? i want to install it right now but i dont want to mess anything up

thanks!
Yes - exact same procedures are used, only the module differs between the DICE and the ice>Link kits.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #224
Solo118

My Ride: '02 330ci, '12 MDX
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
excellent thank you for the quick response... i will go ahead with the install now and just leave it in my trunk for the time being...

again i will be going with this tutorial
http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...mod_id=2&id=39

Gone and will be missed!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #225
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
excellent thank you for the quick response... i will go ahead with the install now and just leave it in my trunk for the time being...

again i will be going with this tutorial
http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...mod_id=2&id=39
You're good to go. If you should need help on any of the steps, don't hesitate to contact me directly by email or phone.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 09-27-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #226
tingbro1

Tom,

A few more questions:

1) Can I browse/search using the Nav knob button like I can with Icelink ,and can you select/enter by pushing in the knob button (vs. having to press the the separate foward/backward skip buttons)?

2) How do you search for playlists beyond the 5 list? My Icelink allows me to quickly view and browse playlists/artists using the Nav knob...very fast. Is Dice the same way?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #227
Eduardo1971

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbro1 View Post
Tom...
1) Can I browse/search using the Nav knob button like I can with Icelink ,and can you select/enter by pushing in the knob button (vs. having to press the the separate foward/backward skip buttons)?

2) How do you search for playlists beyond the 5 list? My Icelink allows me to quickly view and browse playlists/artists using the Nav knob...very fast. Is Dice the same way?

Thanks
Good questions! I too have the OEM navigation on my 2004 and was wondering what features of my navigation integrate with the DICE system.

After **finally** buying my 1G nano in July 2006 (my very first iPod!!!); I am finally nearing buying the DICE system for my automobile.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:44 PM   #228
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,

A few more questions:

No, the DICE leaves the iPod open for detailed browsing which is much easier than the ice>Link. Finding an artist that started with the letter "M" was brutal on the Business CD setups. You can select through Songs/Playlists?Albums using the steering wheel/radio controls or however you choose via the iPod's clickwheel.

Quote:

Thanks
Pressing DISC2 allows you to go through all of your playlists. There never was a 5 playlist limitation on either the DICE or the ice>Link, only on the OEM BMW kit. On the ice>Link, this would be equivalent to the DISC6>PLAYLISTS menu.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #229
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
Good questions! I too have the OEM navigation on my 2004 and was wondering what features of my navigation integrate with the DICE system.

After **finally** buying my 1G nano in July 2006 (my very first iPod!!!); I am finally nearing buying the DICE system for my automobile.
Features will be the same as the Business CD units, you will have full text display control via the NAV screen, iPod or steering wheel buttons.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on other features.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #230
Cooter

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3 Vert
I also have the faint constant clicking/static noise in the background, no matter what song is playing. I'm running the DICE kit and have a 30gig Video and a 4gig Nano - happens on both.

It sounds like many of you have it as well. Has anybody ever found a fix?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #231
Moses

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
got the DICE iPod unit and the factory Sirius unit from EAS (europeanautosource.com).

Both installations were fantastically easy. No cutting, no drilling. The instructions on the EAS site are very clear, but the install is even easier than expected.

The Sirius install is a factory plug-in type affair. I put the iPod in the sunglass holder and getting the wiring up there is dead simple. Not one bit of wiring or cable is visible anywhere in the car. There is even a crease in the factory carpet under the driver seat that holds the wiring as you pass from the left side of the car to the console.

The Sirius is wonderful. Nice to use the wheel controls to change stations. The DICE iPod unit works beautifully and sounds great. Again, controlling a hidden iPod with your steering wheel controls is pretty cool. I only wish the DICE unit would let you scroll by "artist" instead of just "album" and "playlist".

I guess the only point of this post is to let you know that the installation of these units is easy and quick. Don't be intimidated by the install pictures.

The DICE unit and Sirius were a birthday gift for my son. It's his car (2003 325Ci). After he sat in the car and toggled between his iPod and Sirius, he smiled and said "Roadtrip?" Great stuff.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #232
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcouture View Post
I also have the faint constant clicking/static noise in the background, no matter what song is playing. I'm running the DICE kit and have a 30gig Video and a 4gig Nano - happens on both.

It sounds like many of you have it as well. Has anybody ever found a fix?
It could be the DICE picking up inteference from other devices in the vehicle - try relocating the trunk interface cable to see if it goes away.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #233
tanev

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Questions about Video Ipod and OEM Navigation

Hi,
I am considering buying a 30G video Ipod and integrating it with BMW 3 series 16:9/MKIV-based OEM navigation. I have the BMW OEM Video/TV module.
1.) Has anybody done this? What do I need besides the above to make it work?
2.) If 1.) is done, what is the quality od the video relative to DVD playre signal passed through the video module?
3.) How many movies could I put on the 30G video Ipod?
Thanks,
Peter
2005 BMW 325i, ZPP, ZSP, Retrofits: M3 SMG Steering wheel with paddleshift, OEM Bi-xenons +High beam+ Autoleveling, Predator Chromium, OEM (16:9/MKIV) Navigation, OEM TV/Video Module/Option, Assist/Bluetooth+ Voice Input Control, Universal Tranceiver, OEM Alarm, Alpine CHA-634 6CD/MP3 Changer, OEM Rear Side and Manually Retractable Rear Window Sunshades, Myrtle Wood emergency brake handle, OEM rear lip spoiler.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #234
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanev View Post
Hi,
I am considering buying a 30G video Ipod and integrating it with BMW 3 series 16:9/MKIV-based OEM navigation. I have the BMW OEM Video/TV module.
1.) Has anybody done this? What do I need besides the above to make it work?
2.) If 1.) is done, what is the quality od the video relative to DVD playre signal passed through the video module?
3.) How many movies could I put on the 30G video Ipod?
Thanks,
Peter
If you have an OEM TV tuner, the VSM isn't necessary - you can use your existing pieces and tap into the audio/video signal.

1) Nothing - you have everything you need already. I would recommend the iLink if you would like to gain wireless control of your ipod through the system:

iLink-L2 Multimedia Interface for iPod
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=264

2) The stock NAV screen is about 400dpi, so a 640c480 movie will look pretty good on the display.

3) If encoding to DivX format (recommended) expect about 40 movies on a 30G iPod.

Feel free to email me directly at tom@europeanautosource.com if you have any further questions so we can keep the thread DICE-related.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #235
BoxCarRacer

My Ride: E46 & E70
tom,
do you have an ipod kit for a CLK 320? its an 04 w/ Nav or do you know any one that makes it besides the dearlership, they want to charge 750+ for the install.
thanks in advance,
Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #236
abergstrom81

My Ride: '00 323ci
I need a new Docking Cable! Where can I get one? Thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #237
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by abergstrom81 View Post
I need a new Docking Cable! Where can I get one? Thanks
We have them on our site, in stock - ready to ship:

ice>Link Plus & DICE iPod Docking Cable
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=232
Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #238
vdigiovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It could be the DICE picking up inteference from other devices in the vehicle - try relocating the trunk interface cable to see if it goes away.
Tom,
I have noticed the steering wheel volume controls can sometimes make the ticking sound worse. Any ideas? Also, where do you recommend relocating the interface cable? Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #239
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdigiovanni View Post
Tom,
I have noticed the steering wheel volume controls can sometimes make the ticking sound worse. Any ideas? Also, where do you recommend relocating the interface cable? Thanks
As long as the interface cabling is away from battery cables and other wiring, you should be ok.

You can test by removing the trunk interface cable and playing the DICE module/iPod with the harness outside the vehicle to see if the problem is DICE or BMW-related.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #240
noqlew

My Ride: 325i
regarding a unit i bought from tom (fast shipping, thanks!)

I connected my dice connector to the 6 pin and 3 pin connectors in the trunk (which were tied together) but haven't run the wire yet because I wanted to test it. I removed fuses before the connection and reconnected them, all with the key out of the ignition.

But the cd changer won't come up at all when i press the cd button to switch to the cd changer. Also, the ipod doesn't show like its charging when connected to the dice unit and all connections seem snug. the dice unit is also not warm (should it be?). Is this the sign of a bad unit or bad cable?

I haven't tried unhooking the battery yet.

I have an 01 330i business cd ....
Closed Thread