E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #3001
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
Not very often but radio I switch to often.
And other features of the radio/DICE I use often as well.
Like Album/Playlist/Artist through the numbers and switching to display time just to name a few.

So there's no way to fix my problem either than disabling text?

EDIT:
Instead of using smart mode, would switching to full ipod control fix this problem?
Would I be able to switch to AM/FM and change EQ levels with song text displayed?

If theres nothing else that will fix it...I guess I will try and change it to iPod only mode.
No, you will have to turn off text, or switch your EQ settings in a different mode (ie: AM/FM)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #3002
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
That is dissapointing to hear.
I guess I'll have to disable the text feature...I really liked that feature though.

Oh well, my fault. I should've did more research as I was unaware of this problem for my BMW with DICE kits.
Although for the money I paid, it's sort of expected that I would be able to use every feature flawlessly...I guess not.

You should put up a warning for future buyers that come to you at EAS, would've helped me.
Thanks for the help Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
No, you will have to turn off text, or switch your EQ settings in a different mode (ie: AM/FM)
Oh and the EQ settings are different for every mode (at least for me)
CD/AM/FM have their own settings. So I can't change the EQ settings of the CD (DICE) if I'm in AM/FM mode.

Last edited by Little Dragon; 04-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #3003
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Tom,

Can you point me to a thread where I can get more info on the FMRDS-USB universal device?

I have an older Dice kit that doesn't work very well with my iPhone 3gS...

Thanks!!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3004
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Tom,

Can you point me to a thread where I can get more info on the FMRDS-USB universal device?

I have an older Dice kit that doesn't work very well with my iPhone 3gS...

Thanks!!
Sure, more info can be found here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=758746
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #3005
pphil09

My Ride: Imola Red ZHP
Hey tom I have a dice silverline with Itouch 3.1.3 software.

I installed the unit today, and my text was scrolling fine as I go through songs, but now, instead of scrolling, the text only appears one letter at a time. Each subsequent letter replaces the letter that came before it in the same pixel area on the display.

Also, what do my car and ipod switches need to be set to in order to have control of the itouch so I dont have to struggle to find a single song that i want to listen to? Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #3006
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
Hey tom I have a dice silverline with Itouch 3.1.3 software.

I installed the unit today, and my text was scrolling fine as I go through songs, but now, instead of scrolling, the text only appears one letter at a time. Each subsequent letter replaces the letter that came before it in the same pixel area on the display.

Also, what do my car and ipod switches need to be set to in order to have control of the itouch so I dont have to struggle to find a single song that i want to listen to? Thanks
1 letter display means the battery cables were not disconnected during installation. Perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

DIP switches should be set in the DOWN UP UP UP positions.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #3007
manilaboy1vic

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
hi, couple of questions:

2002 330
DICE Radio Interface

i picked up the Silverline yesterday from the EAS shop.. installed it.. works.. i was playing with the UI.. got to playlists.. and its stuck on playlists.. is there a way to exit that mode??

Or anyway to just go shuffle?? the RND button doesnt seem to work for me.. i was not aware that i had to disconnect the battery before installing.. the manual did not specify too and my bentley manual didnt say to disconnect battery when removing cabling from the radio.. i was thinking maybe i should disconnect the battery but no manuals told me too..

also my aux port does not sound right if i plug my phone (pandora) or ipod to it.. distorted and unlistenable..

I may just stick to controlling it via the ipod.. just put it on random or pick and choose my artist.. anything is better than all my cds all over my car..

TIA

Stock Headlight Halogen Housings for prefacelift E46

Last edited by manilaboy1vic; 05-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #3008
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaboy1vic View Post
hi, couple of questions:

2002 330
DICE Radio Interface

i picked up the Silverline yesterday from the EAS shop.. installed it.. works.. i was playing with the UI.. got to playlists.. and its stuck on playlists.. is there a way to exit that mode??
Yes, pressing CD1 will return to song selection mode.

Quote:
Or anyway to just go shuffle?? the RND button doesnt seem to work for me.. i was not aware that i had to disconnect the battery before installing.. the manual did not specify too and my bentley manual didnt say to disconnect battery when removing cabling from the radio.. i was thinking maybe i should disconnect the battery but no manuals told me too..
RND does enable the shuffle command. What positions are the DIP switches at on your DICE module?

Quote:
also my aux port does not sound right if i plug my phone (pandora) or ipod to it.. distorted and unlistenable..

I may just stick to controlling it via the ipod.. just put it on random or pick and choose my artist.. anything is better than all my cds all over my car..

TIA
Gain volume is set to VOL:63 by default - you can raise or lower this to the level of your liking.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #3009
manilaboy1vic

Quote:
Yes, pressing CD1 will return to song selection mode.

RND does enable the shuffle command. What positions are the DIP switches at on your DICE module?

Gain volume is set to VOL:63 by default - you can raise or lower this to the level of your liking.
CD1 one meaning, 1 on the preset button?? I tried that.. it just kept playing the same track over.

My dip switches are set for smart i believe.. the default settings, i was able to control the ipod by the ipod wheel if not in hold mode, with limit radio interface control

the aux sound almost sounded reverbish (echo).. how do i adjust the gain

Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #3010
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
CD1 one meaning, 1 on the preset button?? I tried that.. it just kept playing the same track over.

My dip switches are set for smart i believe.. the default settings, i was able to control the ipod by the ipod wheel if not in hold mode, with limit radio interface control

the aux sound almost sounded reverbish (echo).. how do i adjust the gain
If you are in the area soon, feel free to drop by and I can go over the features in person with you.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #3011
manilaboy1vic

if your around on monday i can stop by (my off day) .. i dont have my car today.. rode the bike to work..

im gonna mess around with it this weekend..

Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #3012
UrbanGarlic

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
2004 325Ci with Prem. Sound - Flashes EQ momentarily

Hi Tom,

I saw that you responded to this once, but my problem is not exactly the same so I'll try to limit this to the differences:

All my buttons seem to work (I've only had it installed for a couple of hours) with one exception. Like Little Dragon, when I try to adjust the EQ, the DICE overwrites the screen text immediately. I don't know if Little Dragon knew this, but I can still make adjustments. So if I press the EQ button twice and manage to see "Treble" for a second, the +/- buttons will change the treble level.

My questions are:
1. I think I read the whole discussion, but can't find what the root cause is. Is this a known issue for all cars, or is it limited to certain models?
2. Since my mode/EQ/etc buttons all seem to function, would changing the text to "slow refresh" fix this (or, at most, just make the EQ flash slightly longer)?
2.1. If slow refresh would fix this, do I have to do the whole battery cable short out? I didn't do that when I installed the unit and it seems to work alright (with this exception).

Thanks for your help. The CD6-99 is useful to know if I ever need to REALLY see the time or where my eq settings are.

Cheers!

P.S. Why doesn't random enable shuffle?? (Nah, I didn't actually search for this one =) )
Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #3013
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGarlic View Post
Hi Tom,

I saw that you responded to this once, but my problem is not exactly the same so I'll try to limit this to the differences:

All my buttons seem to work (I've only had it installed for a couple of hours) with one exception. Like Little Dragon, when I try to adjust the EQ, the DICE overwrites the screen text immediately. I don't know if Little Dragon knew this, but I can still make adjustments. So if I press the EQ button twice and manage to see "Treble" for a second, the +/- buttons will change the treble level.

My questions are:
1. I think I read the whole discussion, but can't find what the root cause is. Is this a known issue for all cars, or is it limited to certain models?
2. Since my mode/EQ/etc buttons all seem to function, would changing the text to "slow refresh" fix this (or, at most, just make the EQ flash slightly longer)?
2.1. If slow refresh would fix this, do I have to do the whole battery cable short out? I didn't do that when I installed the unit and it seems to work alright (with this exception).

Thanks for your help. The CD6-99 is useful to know if I ever need to REALLY see the time or where my eq settings are.

Cheers!

P.S. Why doesn't random enable shuffle?? (Nah, I didn't actually search for this one =) )
There's simply no way to do this due to the text overwrite - the text must be turned of or switch to a different mode to change EQ settings.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #3014
03charlie

My Ride: 2003 330i 5sp
Hi Guys,

I've had the dice for almost a year now and although I've had a few problems with it I've been able to fix them by opening up the trunk and disconnecting the 3 wire connection and then reconnecting it. Yesterday I installed bluetooth in my car according to Delmarco's DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rrot+bluetooth The phone works fine and I have use of the radio and the CD player but no I pod or XM which is hooked up through the aux input on the dice. The dice displays the text of the song playing just like it normally would. I can skip songs like normal and when I change it over to the aux it displays aux 1 just like always but no sound. Not even the dice, "Tick tick tick," that I am almost used to hearing all the time. I've disconnected the battery and checked all connections but I get the same results. I'm at a loss here. Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Last edited by 03charlie; 05-13-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: link didn't show
Old 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #3015
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
It sounds like you did not relocate the little 10-pin data link connector from the HU connector to the Connect2 harness.

Please see delmarcos third pic in his third post.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...43&postcount=3

The USA-Spec PA12-BMW does not tic-tic-tic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03charlie View Post
Hi Guys,

I've had the dice for almost a year now and although I've had a few problems with it I've been able to fix them by opening up the trunk and disconnecting the 3 wire connection and then reconnecting it. Yesterday I installed bluetooth in my car according to Delmarco's DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...rrot+bluetooth The phone works fine and I have use of the radio and the CD player but no I pod or XM which is hooked up through the aux input on the dice. The dice displays the text of the song playing just like it normally would. I can skip songs like normal and when I change it over to the aux it displays aux 1 just like always but no sound. Not even the dice, "Tick tick tick," that I am almost used to hearing all the time. I've disconnected the battery and checked all connections but I get the same results. I'm at a loss here. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #3016
03charlie

My Ride: 2003 330i 5sp
I bet that's it. Damn, the thought of getting the vent and those connectors out of the dash and then back in again makes me cringe.

As for the non ticking USA Spec - yeah I know (now). Hind sight is 20/20. When the dice finally dies I'm going w/ the PA12.

Thanks for the help Steve.

Last edited by 03charlie; 05-13-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #3017
steve.325i

Welcome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03charlie View Post
I bet that's it. Damn, the thought of getting the vent and those connectors out of the dash and then back in again makes me cringe.

As for the non ticking USA Spec - yeah I know (now). Hind sight is 20/20. When the dice finally dies I'm going w/ the PA12.

Thanks for the help Steve.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #3018
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
It sounds like you did not relocate the little 10-pin data link connector from the HU connector to the Connect2 harness.

Please see delmarcos third pic in his third post.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...43&postcount=3

The USA-Spec PA12-BMW does not tic-tic-tic
Neither does the DICE on most applications, the radio harness is known to cure this on vehicles that experience this.

Steve, it's clear you have an ulterior motive here, nor are you providing any help - have some respect for others. Your participation on this thread isn't needed.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:27 PM   #3019
steve.325i

Quote:
steve, it's clear you have an ulterior motive here, nor are you providing any help - have some respect for others. Your participation on this thread isn't needed.
10-4 ... but i did help him.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #3020
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Neither does the DICE on most applications, the radio harness is known to cure this on vehicles that experience this.

Steve, it's clear you have an ulterior motive here, nor are you providing any help - have some respect for others. Your participation on this thread isn't needed.

lol.
All we are saying is if Beef doesn't work for you there is always Chicken.
I just don't understand why you guys don't sell the USA-Spec!

It's like walking into Footlocker and all the sell is Nike!

That is just ludicrous!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
Closed Thread