E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #401
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Well........ I just hooked my DICE up to my car over the weekend and it works great..... until today
now, all my radio says is "INIT" and when i change the songs through my steering wheel or radio, my iPod light turns on which never happened
???
at first when it INIT at the beginning.... the iPod would go through a few screens and say "ok to disconnect" which is completely normal........ but now there isn't any of that

connections are fine....... this happened without me touching anything

what gives??? thank you
Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #402
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post
Happy New Year Tom!
Unfortunately I did not disconnect the battery before installation. Will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes fix this error? Also, I seem to be having a problem with the text didplay for the ipod, is this problem associated with the battery being connected during installation process?
It could definitely be related. Try disconnecting the battery cables (both) and reconnecting after approximately 10 min.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #403
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
Well........ I just hooked my DICE up to my car over the weekend and it works great..... until today
now, all my radio says is "INIT" and when i change the songs through my steering wheel or radio, my iPod light turns on which never happened
???
at first when it INIT at the beginning.... the iPod would go through a few screens and say "ok to disconnect" which is completely normal........ but now there isn't any of that

connections are fine....... this happened without me touching anything

what gives??? thank you
What Generation iPod and iPod firmware are you using?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #404
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
What Generation iPod and iPod firmware are you using?
nano 2nd generation
not sure of the firmware...... 1.1.1??? .. whatever it comes with
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #405
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
nano 2nd generation
not sure of the firmware...... 1.1.1??? .. whatever it comes with
I'll need you to check. Go to SETTINGS>ABOUT on your ipod and you can see your firmware version.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #406
JJR4884

Ok I'll do that when I get a chance.... but should it really make a difference? My head unit and iPod were working fine Fri-Sun, then it just started acting up without me changing one thing....
thank you
Old 01-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #407
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Ok I'll do that when I get a chance.... but should it really make a difference? My head unit and iPod were working fine Fri-Sun, then it just started acting up without me changing one thing....
thank you
Yes - it makes a huge difference in troubleshooting.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #408
jsingh08

My Ride: Intergra
Tom, I have had the dice unit for a few months now. I haven't had any trouble with it until now. My car's battery died yesterday so I replaced it with a new one. The dice connection seems to functioning with one exception, the ipod stays on even after I have turned off the car. The song I was playing was paused however the ipod did not into standby. I waited for about three minutes, the ipod will still on. How long after the car has been turned off should the ipod go into standby? For now, I have disconnected the cable from my ipod. I hope that the dice unit is not draining power from my new battery. Please advice.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #409
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsingh08 View Post
Tom, I have had the dice unit for a few months now. I haven't had any trouble with it until now. My car's battery died yesterday so I replaced it with a new one. The dice connection seems to functioning with one exception, the ipod stays on even after I have turned off the car. The song I was playing was paused however the ipod did not into standby. I waited for about three minutes, the ipod will still on. How long after the car has been turned off should the ipod go into standby? For now, I have disconnected the cable from my ipod. I hope that the dice unit is not draining power from my new battery. Please advice.
Year and model of BMW?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #410
jsingh08

My Ride: Intergra
Quote:
Year and model of BMW?
I have a 2002 M3.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #411
mtyson227

My Ride: 2001 325 Xi
Hi Tom,

I have a 2001 325Xi with Business Cassette. I installed the DICE HDRadio + iPod integration about a week ago. I have an iPod Video 30GB Firmware 1.4.1.

Dice unit is awesome except for one thing: The iPod initialization. If I power up the car with the iPod already attached and the iPod was "sleeping", while the Dice initializes, the ipod will start scrolling through a bunch of menus and picking an album to play.

If I "wake" the ipod before starting the car, when the Dice initializes it will stay in the current playlist (for me it is often in shuffle mode), but will always go back to song number 2. Even if I was already song 100 when I shut the car down. Very frustrating to skip up to where I was everytime I start the car.

Any thoughts on this behavior? Thanks!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #412
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsingh08 View Post
I have a 2002 M3.
I reread your post - the iPod is pausing when the ignition is cut, the charging should stop also. The iPod can go to sleep within 30 seconds to 10 minutes, this is normal operation and is causing no drain on the system.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #413
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyson227 View Post
Hi Tom,

I have a 2001 325Xi with Business Cassette. I installed the DICE HDRadio + iPod integration about a week ago. I have an iPod Video 30GB Firmware 1.4.1.

Dice unit is awesome except for one thing: The iPod initialization. If I power up the car with the iPod already attached and the iPod was "sleeping", while the Dice initializes, the ipod will start scrolling through a bunch of menus and picking an album to play.

If I "wake" the ipod before starting the car, when the Dice initializes it will stay in the current playlist (for me it is often in shuffle mode), but will always go back to song number 2. Even if I was already song 100 when I shut the car down. Very frustrating to skip up to where I was everytime I start the car.

Any thoughts on this behavior? Thanks!!!!!!
This is also normal behavior. If the iPod is in "deep sleep" mode, it will need to be turned on before activating the DICE.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #414
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
Quote:
It's your 3G iPod that is causing the issues, try testing with a 4th Generation or higher iPod and everything should work correctly.
Thanks - I will try a 4G or later when I get a chance. I do not have one available right now though.

So I should not be concerned about the presets remaining in the radio? Does anyone have an idea on how to completely power-down the car?

Again - I definitely touched the terminals for several minutes.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #415
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Thanks - I will try a 4G or later when I get a chance. I do not have one available right now though.

So I should not be concerned about the presets remaining in the radio? Does anyone have an idea on how to completely power-down the car?

Again - I definitely touched the terminals for several minutes.
The cables should only be needed to be touched together for about 5 seconds, this is enough to discharge the system.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #416
curious_george

Quote:
The cables should only be needed to be touched together for about 5 seconds, this is enough to discharge the system.
Well - I guess that is my point. It was more than enough. So why are my radio presets still there? Or is this of no concern?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #417
mtyson227

My Ride: 2001 325 Xi
Quote:
This is also normal behavior. If the iPod is in "deep sleep" mode, it will need to be turned on before activating the DICE.
Thanks Tom. Any comments on my second scenario where the iPod is already "awake", but when the DICE is activated, it puts the iPod back to song #2? This is consistent behavior.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #418
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george View Post
Well - I guess that is my point. It was more than enough. So why are my radio presets still there? Or is this of no concern?
Some radios retain the settings - See if you can drive over to an Apple store and try an iPod there temporarily.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #419
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtyson227 View Post
Thanks Tom. Any comments on my second scenario where the iPod is already "awake", but when the DICE is activated, it puts the iPod back to song #2? This is consistent behavior.

Thanks
Not sure on this behavior. Can you check your firmware version again? FW 1.2.1 is latest for the 5th Generation Video, the firmware version you list is latest for an iPod Mini.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #420
curious_george

Quote:
Some radios retain the settings - See if you can drive over to an Apple store and try an iPod there temporarily.
Well, my sister will be visiting tomorrow and has a 4G. I will try that before taking everything apart. Thanks - I was just concerned that I did not do something properly when installing but it sounds like the presets are not the indicator of success that I thought they were.

As always I appreciate your patience and help.
Closed Thread