E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #81
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
Are you trying to browse the phonebook with the iPod in play? Try moving to a different CD number (2-5) to see if this helps.

Yes. I'll try this as soon as the DICE comes back... I can definitely browse the phonebook while the ipod is playing with the icelink
Old 08-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #82
CCali
Banned

My Ride: bimmmmerrrr
got my dice up and running.. i love it.. definately a huge improvement over icelink.. i think it even sounds a bit better but anywho.. the one thing is the browse by artist.. when and if you fix this tom PLEASE let me know

thanks and again.. great product and customer service
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #83
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCali
got my dice up and running.. i love it.. definately a huge improvement over icelink.. i think it even sounds a bit better but anywho.. the one thing is the browse by artist.. when and if you fix this tom PLEASE let me know

thanks and again.. great product and customer service
We'll let the forums know when new features are available.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #84
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.FLA_325i
OK, removed both fuses for about 10 minutes and reseted the ipod and still not able to control the ipod frm the radio.

How about the setting on the dice boc. All four switches where position on off should I change the setting..
What Generation iPod and firmware are you using? Here is a link to the minimum firmware version you should be using on your iPod:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...mod_id=2&id=36

As for the DIP switches, they need to be set to the OFF position.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #85
bmdubalicious

My Ride: 03 325i
this is a stupid question but when should fuses 7 and 41 b put back in during installation of the dice?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #86
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubalicious
this is a stupid question but when should fuses 7 and 41 b put back in during installation of the dice?
Yes - pulled before installation and replaced after installation is completed.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #87
avidan

My Ride: 02 Topaz M3 convert
Hey Tom,
I got my Dice, and so far, so good. Installation was a little tough, just because I chose to route to my center console, which meant I needed to fish the wire under the extra tight center carpet. After passing a coathanger through a few times, I finally got it. The resulting install is SUPER clean, and I am quite happy. My question is, when these firmware changes are made, is the firmware loading possible by end users? I have fairly extensive computer and hardware knowledge, so I would be very interested in loading and testing new firmwares. Will this be done with a special serial cable?
I am definitely looking forward to the DICE progress.
thanks.
avidan
Old 08-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #88
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidan
Hey Tom,
I got my Dice, and so far, so good. Installation was a little tough, just because I chose to route to my center console, which meant I needed to fish the wire under the extra tight center carpet. After passing a coathanger through a few times, I finally got it. The resulting install is SUPER clean, and I am quite happy. My question is, when these firmware changes are made, is the firmware loading possible by end users? I have fairly extensive computer and hardware knowledge, so I would be very interested in loading and testing new firmwares. Will this be done with a special serial cable?
thanks.
avidan

firmware upgrades for the icelink would be put on the ipod, and then the ipod would update the icelink... No firmware releases yet for the DICE, so who knows about that...
Old 08-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #89
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidan
Hey Tom,
thanks.
avidan
Firmware updates cannot be performed by the end user, but since you are local - the module can be updated and returned in minimal time. We will let our customers know as well as the forums when new features are available.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #90
DMXtremeZHP

Location: Ridgewood NJ, Long Branch NJ, NYC, Boston, MA, Edgewater NJ
My Ride: 04 330i ZHP & 13 S4
Send a message via AIM to DMXtremeZHP
Tom, thanks for all the help, got it installed and running earlier this evening.... only got one slight problem though..

when I switch from one song to next, there is a dip or loss of sound/volume in the song, so for instance, you press >>, it changes songs, you hear the beginning then it "skips" to best describe it. Sometimes, the sound just completely is lost, so I just press << again and restart the song, then it's fine. I'm pretty positive I installed everything correctly, maybe perhaps I have to repull the fuses? Has anyone had this problem? Other than that, the DICE runs perfectly, really lovin it. Thanks again

Modified* 2004 Silver Gray BMW 330i ZHP
Rogue Engineering|aFe|H&R|Hotchkis|Dinan|Shark|JL|DICE|etc.

FOR SALE!!! PM OR EMAIL ME: wjn126@gmail.com

Garage:
2013 Audi S4|2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit|2008 Mercedes-Benz ML550|2008 BMW X5 3.0si|2011 Mercedes-Benz SL550
Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #91
DMXtremeZHP

Tried pulling the fuses, didn't help. Tried doing a hard reset (menu + center button)... didn't quite solve it either. Any solutions? I just read a few people also experience this "hiccup"

Garage:
2013 Audi S4|2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit|2008 Mercedes-Benz ML550|2008 BMW X5 3.0si|2011 Mercedes-Benz SL550
Old 08-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #92
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMXtremeZHP
Tried pulling the fuses, didn't help. Tried doing a hard reset (menu + center button)... didn't quite solve it either. Any solutions? I just read a few people also experience this "hiccup"
Try turning text display off and see if the behavior is still occuring.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #93
DMXtremeZHP

How do I turn off the text display?

Is it press DISC 6, then go to track #99?

Garage:

Last edited by DMXtremeZHP; 08-12-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #94
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
How do I turn off the text display?

Is it press DISC 6, then go to track #99?
Disc 6 Track 99. Go back to track 1 to reactivate text display afterwards.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #95
DMXtremeZHP

Well, when I put it on DISC 6, the song switching speeds up and the hiccup is gone temporarily, but I lose the convinience of switching songs via steering wheel/radio.. but if I choose any setting on DISC6, whether it be NAVI, alternate NAVI views (small and large texts), and no text (99)--the song switching is fine, again I just lose the car controls of the IPOD... then I switch back to DISC1, the hiccups come back... even when I turn the text completely off on 99.

Garage:
Old 08-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #96
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Well, when I put it on DISC 6, the song switching speeds up and the hiccup is gone temporarily, but I lose the convinience of switching songs via steering wheel/radio.. but if I choose any setting on DISC6, whether it be NAVI, alternate NAVI views (small and large texts), and no text (99)--the song switching is fine, again I just lose the car controls of the IPOD... then I switch back to DISC1, the hiccups come back... even when I turn the text completely off on 99.
If you are on Disc 6 and use the steering wheel or radio controls, the DICE module is under the impression you still wish to change text. You will have to move to Disc 1 for song selection.

If the fuses or battery cables were not pulled during installation, it would cause this type of behavior also.

Do you have another iPod you can text with to see if the same behavior is present?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #97
DMXtremeZHP

Quote:
If you are on Disc 6 and use the steering wheel or radio controls, the DICE module is under the impression you still wish to change text. You will have to move to Disc 1 for song selection.

If the fuses or battery cables were not pulled during installation, it would cause this type of behavior also.

Do you have another iPod you can text with to see if the same behavior is present?
My brother has an older ipod, I will try his right now and see if it is present. I unplugged the battery cables before the install was done, actually. Last night again I tried removing the fuses to try to reset the system, didn't help either. I will try another ipod right now, hold on

Garage:
Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #98
DMXtremeZHP

Hiccup still present...

Garage:
Old 08-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #99
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Tom, just ordered. Can't wait to receive it. If I have any problems, I will let you know
Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #100
tyroneshoe

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Matt,

It's because it's hardly ever needed. The DICE kits rarely exhibit any type of engine whine. You could be picking up inteference from other devices in the vehicle. Try relocating the wire to see if the noise diminishes or goes completely away.

See if relocating the cable (away from other wiring or battery cables) helps first - then we can use the noise filter if needed.
A few weeks ago I opened a ticket on the Dice support page. Got a response from Zoltan saying that I probably needed a replacement unit. I called him to confirm what information he needed for an exchange. Forwarded all my purchase info and mailing info to him, haven't heard squat for a 3 or 4 weeks now. Not too happy...

Regardless, I tried rerouting the cable to deal with the alternator whine issues, no luck. I also tried just putting the unit in the trunk (as a test) and still had whine. I eventually caved and paid a friend who is an electrical engineer to have one of his interns build a heavy duty loop isolator. It completely eliminated every bit of alternator whine (even when I'm red-lined). I also still have that annoying "dit-dit-dit" sound which pisses the hell out of me when I'm trying to listen to talk radio like NPR or Howard Stern.

Last edited by tyroneshoe; 08-13-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Closed Thread