E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #1021
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
I'm guessing when you say boot up is when it scrolls through the the ipod when it's first attached and the cd is selceted, no it wasn't. I tried the reboot, it didn't work. I never lost click control of the ipod..when I press the cd button I can select all the buttons, I can select CD1 through 6 It shows CD and a track#, I can change the track# using the steering control buttons but it doesn't change the song selection/playlist selection....help!!!!
Please contact me from your BMW and we'll go over the steps in real time.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #1022
dens

My Ride: 08 BMW R56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
DIP switches are not used in BMW applications, we typically leave them to off, which the exception of Z4/X3 which has a text speed issue. Try turning the switches all to OFF and testing again.
I turned he DIP switches to OFF but no luck, then I turned them on, still no sound. Im leaving the DIP switches to OFF now.

Please help. My Ipod is working fine with an earpiece or when its connected to my apple's itunes. Also when its connected to DICE, the screen showing as being charged.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #1023
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I turned he DIP switches to OFF but no luck, then I turned them on, still no sound. Im leaving the DIP switches to OFF now.

Please help. My Ipod is working fine with an earpiece or when its connected to my apple's itunes. Also when its connected to DICE, the screen showing as being charged.
Are you reinitializing the DICE when you are doing these configuration changes? If not, please follow these steps exactly:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #1024
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Quote:
Please contact me from your BMW and we'll go over the steps in real time.
I'll try to catch you in the afternoon your time today or later on this week. I noticed one thing today playing around the CD 1 and CD2 settings. CD1 turned into the max volume control and CD 2 turned into max bass control when i use the up/down button on the steering wheel.

Last edited by Miko_10; 07-17-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #1025
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
I'll try to catch you in the afternoon your time today or later on this week. I noticed one thing today playing around the CD 1 and CD2 settings. CD1 turned into the max volume control and CD 2 turned into max bass control when i use the up/down button on the steering wheel.
You're changing settings within AUX mode. Press CD5/TRACK1, then CD1 to return to iPod mode and select within songs.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #1026
dens

My Ride: 08 BMW R56
Quote:
Are you reinitializing the DICE when you are doing these configuration changes? If not, please follow these steps exactly:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem.
I followed that steps again this morning incl. rebooting the ipod.
Then I set the text mode to CD6 TRACK6 and hit CD1 to exit.
I hit CD5 TRACK1, still no luck the NAV screen is showing "--DICE E" but still no songs playing, help.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #1027
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I followed that steps again this morning incl. rebooting the ipod.
Then I set the text mode to CD6 TRACK6 and hit CD1 to exit.
I hit CD5 TRACK1, still no luck the NAV screen is showing "--DICE E" but still no songs playing, help.
This means you are not getting a response from the iPod. Do you have access to another iPod to test with?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #1028
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
so has anybody fixed the constant dit dit dit of the text scrolling? i bought a noise filter for alternator whine when i hardwired my radar detector and this sound is getting more and more annoying now that there is now whine from the stereo.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #1029
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
so has anybody fixed the constant dit dit dit of the text scrolling? i bought a noise filter for alternator whine when i hardwired my radar detector and this sound is getting more and more annoying now that there is now whine from the stereo.
That would sound like typical engine noise if the radar detector is contributing to the noise. You can try relocating the wire to see if the noise is diminished or if you cannot find the source of the noise - a ground loop isolator must be used.

Some BMWs are more are simply sensitive to engine noise than others. Here is a link to the version we offer on the website:

12 Amp Power Noise Filter
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=309

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #1030
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
ive already installed the noise filter though, would i have to do the 12 amp thing instead/as well?

also, this dit dit sound only happens when the text scrolls, and its in perfect sync with it.

Last edited by chris98891; 07-17-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #1031
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
Quote:
You're changing settings within AUX mode. Press CD5/TRACK1, then CD1 to return to iPod mode and select within songs.
That last one did, thanks Tom. Miko
Old 07-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #1032
stjules

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP
Send a message via Yahoo to stjules
Tom, after months of waiting for the best ipod interface I am sold on the DICE... I was planning on going the eurotray option with a 8GB nano and DICE route. Was about to order it from your website and I noticed there is a R17 and a trunk kit. What is the difference?

I have a facelifted 2004 ZHP 330ci with HK sound and DSP with Business CD. Which kit do I need? And also what is the best DIY instructions you've seen for a armrest or eurotray install?

Really appreciate your help
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #1033
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjules View Post
Tom, after months of waiting for the best ipod interface I am sold on the DICE... I was planning on going the eurotray option with a 8GB nano and DICE route. Was about to order it from your website and I noticed there is a R17 and a trunk kit. What is the difference?

I have a facelifted 2004 ZHP 330ci with HK sound and DSP with Business CD. Which kit do I need? And also what is the best DIY instructions you've seen for a armrest or eurotray install?

Really appreciate your help
For a eurotray install, I would recommend the trunk interface kit due to the cable length needed. Here's your choice of eurotrays:

Here are your choices:

eurotray w/ sliding cover (short version)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=263

eurotray w/ sliding cover (long version)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1156

And for those not looking for a sliding cover:

eurotray (long version)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1155

and the DICE kit you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #1034
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
ive already installed the noise filter though, would i have to do the 12 amp thing instead/as well?

also, this dit dit sound only happens when the text scrolls, and its in perfect sync with it.
We have have the module bench tested to see if we experience the same results. Email me directly with your full name and I'll make the necessary arrangements.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #1035
SlowBM

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
For a eurotray install, I would recommend the trunk interface kit due to the cable length needed.
Hi Tom, I have the R17 kit and did the Eurotray install without any problems with cable length. In fact, there's plenty of docking cable left which I had to loop under the eurotray. I have a Sedan.

The DICE module is sitting behind the sunglass holder and from there the docking cable goes under the center console, under the eurotray and then back to the top of the eurotray for a stealthy install. I have the long version sliding eurotray (centre photo in Tom's post). I do not have photos but will take some when I install the same kit for someone this weekend.

Looking at the install diy (trunk interface) and my install process (btw, there's no DIY for the R17 kit or I can't find it) the main difference between the Radio Interface R17 and the Trunk Interface is whether you want to remove rear seats, carpet and door sill or remove dashboard trim, radio, air-con control unit and gear shift console.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #1036
stjules

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP
Send a message via Yahoo to stjules
What is the difference etween the 2 kits in terms of sound quality? Is one easier to install than the other?

Thanks everyone
Old 07-19-2007, 01:47 AM   #1037
tkoy325xit

My Ride: 2003 325xit
Hi Tom,

Will the Dice w/HD work in Canada?

Thanks,

JD
Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #1038
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoy325xit View Post
Hi Tom,

Will the Dice w/HD work in Canada?

Thanks,

JD
Depends on what part of Canada you're in, the stations will travel over the border. If you have no problem receiving US stations - it's pretty safe to say you're ok.

A listing of HD radio stations in your area can be accessed by visiting www.hdradio.com.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #1039
SlowBM

My Ride: E46 330i
Hi Tom, when selecting a playlist after powering up the radio, does the DICE start with playlist #1 on the iPod or move up/down from the previously selected playlist before powering down the radio?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #1040
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBM View Post
Hi Tom, when selecting a playlist after powering up the radio, does the DICE start with playlist #1 on the iPod or move up/down from the previously selected playlist before powering down the radio?
Depending on how long the vehicle is shut down for. If the connection is broken between the DICE/iPod - it will start with Playlist 1.
Closed Thread