E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #1041
editwizard

My Ride: Silver 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
so has anybody fixed the constant dit dit dit of the text scrolling? i bought a noise filter for alternator whine when i hardwired my radar detector and this sound is getting more and more annoying now that there is now whine from the stereo.
Have you tried turning OFF the Soundcheck feature on the iPod? Essentially Soundcheck will reduce the volume of all songs to sort of a medium level. You'll then usually get a higher level of music out of the iPod and that will force the tick tick tick down to a less audible level.

Most of my music is at a decent level and with soundcheck off I only rarely notice a song that is lower in volume and then I just adjust the system volume to compensate.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 AM   #1042
editwizard

iPhone Dice compatibility

Tom, you've said in another thread that the Dice is fully compatible with the iPhone but I'm not getting 'full' compatibility. Are you losing the functionality of the iPod controls on the iPhone when attached? My iPod fifth gen would allow me to operate the controls, select playlists or individual songs, etc.

With the iPhone attached I can only control the music functions from the BMW radio and iPhone's 'iPod' screen only shows "accessory attached" and I can't change any songs or enable shuffle play (however I can go to the iPhone's home screen and access all the other functions of the phone.) All radio controls seem to be okay on the BMW Business CD radio however there is no fast-forward or reverse ability. I can change tracks and hit 'disc 2' to change playlists, etc. but I'm used to having control also from the iPod.

This is not a total deal breaker to me but I really miss the ability to grab the iPhone and navigate to whatever I want to listen to or advance to a particular spot in a song or podcast.

Is this as compatible as the Dice is with the iPhone currently? Is there a firmware update planned for the Dice and if so will I be able to get mine updated?

On the bright side the iPhone sounds fantastic and as good or better than the iPod thru the Dice!

Thanks for your help on this great product,
Larry
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 AM   #1043
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by editwizard View Post
Tom, you've said in another thread that the Dice is fully compatible with the iPhone but I'm not getting 'full' compatibility. Are you losing the functionality of the iPod controls on the iPhone when attached? My iPod fifth gen would allow me to operate the controls, select playlists or individual songs, etc.

With the iPhone attached I can only control the music functions from the BMW radio and iPhone's 'iPod' screen only shows "accessory attached" and I can't change any songs or enable shuffle play (however I can go to the iPhone's home screen and access all the other functions of the phone.) All radio controls seem to be okay on the BMW Business CD radio however there is no fast-forward or reverse ability. I can change tracks and hit 'disc 2' to change playlists, etc. but I'm used to having control also from the iPod.

This is not a total deal breaker to me but I really miss the ability to grab the iPhone and navigate to whatever I want to listen to or advance to a particular spot in a song or podcast.

Is this as compatible as the Dice is with the iPhone currently? Is there a firmware update planned for the Dice and if so will I be able to get mine updated?

On the bright side the iPhone sounds fantastic and as good or better than the iPod thru the Dice!

Thanks for your help on this great product,
Larry
This is normal, the DICE utilizes only the iPod-specific features of the phone when in airplane mode. Otherwise, all DICE-specific features are available on the steering wheel/radio controls.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #1044
editwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
This is normal, the DICE utilizes only the iPod-specific features of the phone when in airplane mode. Otherwise, all DICE-specific features are available on the steering wheel/radio controls.
I don't think you understand my issue. A normal iPod can be controlled from BOTH the iPod and the steering wheel/radio controls which is what seems 'normal' to me and why I bought and love about the Dice. Depending on what I'm listening to I will very often navigate using the iPod. This is a very important feature to me.

The Dice with the iPhone attached cannot do this. Currently I can only control iPhone's music playback from the stereo or steering wheel.

The iPhone's iPod interface is inoperative while attached to the Dice. I haven't tried changing Dice's operation mode to 'iPod' mode yet. I'd rather not lose text display and/or steering wheel track control.

Is Dice coming out with a firmware update to address this?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #1045
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
I don't think you understand my issue. A normal iPod can be controlled from BOTH the iPod and the steering wheel/radio controls which is what seems 'normal' to me and why I bought and love about the Dice. Depending on what I'm listening to I will very often navigate using the iPod. This is a very important feature to me.

The Dice with the iPhone attached cannot do this. Currently I can only control iPhone's music playback from the stereo or steering wheel.

The iPhone's iPod interface is inoperative while attached to the Dice. I haven't tried changing Dice's operation mode to 'iPod' mode yet. I'd rather not lose text display and/or steering wheel track control.

Is Dice coming out with a firmware update to address this?
The iPhone is placed into "airplane mode" thus locking out the controls when plugged into the DICE. This is not a DICE issue, but with the iPhone itself.

You can try skipping airplane mode when prompted - we have not performed extensive testing in this mode yet.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #1046
SlowBM

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Depending on how long the vehicle is shut down for. If the connection is broken between the DICE/iPod - it will start with Playlist 1.
Connection between iPod and DICE never broken. Whenever the iPod auto shuts off after the radio is switched off, i.e. approx 10 to 15 seconds, it starts with Playlist #1 when playlist is changed. So it is not dependent on how long the vehicle is shut down but rather if the iPod is shut down.

Is this related to the other problems I'm facing with having to reset the DICE in every day or two?

Cheers,
Old 07-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #1047
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBM View Post
Connection between iPod and DICE never broken. Whenever the iPod auto shuts off after the radio is switched off, i.e. approx 10 to 15 seconds, it starts with Playlist #1 when playlist is changed. So it is not dependent on how long the vehicle is shut down but rather if the iPod is shut down.

Is this related to the other problems I'm facing with having to reset the DICE in every day or two?

Cheers,
Do you have another iPod to test with to determine if this is an iPod or a DICE issue?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #1048
sbperseus

My Ride: '03 325i
Ipod location

My first post, alright. If DICE is installed in the glovebox, what is the flexibility of the ipod location? i.e does it have to remain in the glovebox to be connected, or can the wire reach to the center of the cabin?

It's important for me to be able to access the ipod while I'm driving/listening. If this is not possible with the DICE in the glovebox, where else can the DICE be installed?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #1049
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
Quote:
Have you tried turning OFF the Soundcheck feature on the iPod? Essentially Soundcheck will reduce the volume of all songs to sort of a medium level. You'll then usually get a higher level of music out of the iPod and that will force the tick tick tick down to a less audible level.

Most of my music is at a decent level and with soundcheck off I only rarely notice a song that is lower in volume and then I just adjust the system volume to compensate.
i tried that and it worked! haha thanks so much, not even the guy at bsw could solve it!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #1050
itsmike

My Ride: e46
My DICE/IPOD setup used to work great.. but now it takes a LONG time in the "INIT" screen. Is there a reason for this? How can I fix this?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #1051
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmike View Post
My DICE/IPOD setup used to work great.. but now it takes a LONG time in the "INIT" screen. Is there a reason for this? How can I fix this?
What's changed since your initial install? Is the same behavior present with another iPod?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM   #1052
netengwiz

My Ride: E46 330i
Speaking of iPhone issues, I initially could control mine via the Nav/Radio , Steering wheel, or the iPhone itself. Now it seems I can only control the music via the iPhone only. From time to time, I can't get music to play at all, not sure what's wrong. After turning the car off and on and disconnecting/reconnecting the phone, eventually it works again.

Should I turn airplane mode on, then connect the iPhone or just connect it and wait for the prompt that asks if I want to turn on airplane mode?

Also the text feature doesn't work on my Nav.

|KW V2|Volk LE37T|Dinan|Eisenmann|Rädenergie|FormulaOne|Stoptech|Evospor t|Eibach|
2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus S-Line|H&R|
2012 Ducati Streetfighter|Termignoni|DP|Lightech|Rizoma|
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #1053
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by netengwiz View Post
Speaking of iPhone issues, I initially could control mine via the Nav/Radio , Steering wheel, or the iPhone itself. Now it seems I can only control the music via the iPhone only. From time to time, I can't get music to play at all, not sure what's wrong. After turning the car off and on and disconnecting/reconnecting the phone, eventually it works again.

Should I turn airplane mode on, then connect the iPhone or just connect it and wait for the prompt that asks if I want to turn on airplane mode?

Also the text feature doesn't work on my Nav.
Simply wait for the prompt after connecting the iPhone.

As for text display, press CD6/TRACK6 to enter in NAV display mode, then return to CD1 afterwards.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #1054
sbperseus

I just read that the DICE can only play songs that are in playlists (i.e you cannot browse to songs in the ipod) and that it only supports up to 6 playlists. Is this true? I thought DICE left the Ipod controls fully unlocked...
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #1055
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbperseus View Post
I just read that the DICE can only play songs that are in playlists (i.e you cannot browse to songs in the ipod) and that it only supports up to 6 playlists. Is this true? I thought DICE left the Ipod controls fully unlocked...
Sounds like you are confusing the DICE and BMW kit. The BMW kit and DICE have the same core functions (steering wheel/radio control), iPod charging and direct iPod connection), the DICE goes a bit further in features:

- Text display on your radio or navigation display
- unlimited Playlists (BMW kit is limited to only 5)
- ability to browse by song, album or Playlist
- Full control of iPod's Clickwheel (BMW kit locks out the wheel)
- Retains display on iPod (BMW kit places a logo in place)
- Integrated AUX input
- All iPod features are still functional (highest rated songs, play count, on-the-go playlists, etc)

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #1056
sbperseus

Quote:
Sounds like you are confusing the DICE and BMW kit. The BMW kit and DICE have the same core functions (steering wheel/radio control), iPod charging and direct iPod connection), the DICE goes a bit further in features:

- Text display on your radio or navigation display
- unlimited Playlists (BMW kit is limited to only 5)
- ability to browse by song, album or Playlist
- Full control of iPod's Clickwheel (BMW kit locks out the wheel)
- Retains display on iPod (BMW kit places a logo in place)
- Integrated AUX input
- All iPod features are still functional (highest rated songs, play count, on-the-go playlists, etc)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

On the Bimmer Forums I read a thread where you appeared to say otherwise:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...+product+truth

From the thread: " The songs you wish to listen to must be within a Playlist if you expect the DICE controls to work correctly. Otherwise, you can opt not to create Playlists and instead select artists from your iPod."

It was also referenced that it supports a maximum of 6 playlists. Please clarify if these statements are correct.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #1057
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbperseus View Post
On the Bimmer Forums I read a thread where you appeared to say otherwise:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...+product+truth

From the thread: " The songs you wish to listen to must be within a Playlist if you expect the DICE controls to work correctly. Otherwise, you can opt not to create Playlists and instead select artists from your iPod."

It was also referenced that it supports a maximum of 6 playlists. Please clarify if these statements are correct.
The BMW kit has a maximum of 5 Playlists, the DICE has unlimited Playlist abilities. For the easiest browsing experience, Playlists are recommended.

If you have no desire to create Playlists, you will need to select artists from your iPod's Clickwheel instead, then control through that Artist's folder using the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #1058
sbperseus

hmmm, sounds like a misunderstanding somewhere.

"The songs you wish to listen to must be within a Playlist if you expect the DICE controls to work correctly. Otherwise, you can opt not to create Playlists and instead select artists from your iPod."

I interpreted this statement that the DICE would have difficulty playing a song not on a playlist. If the DICE is able to easily play any song on the Ipod, regardless if it is on a playlist or not, then I have no problem.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #1059
itsmike

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Quote:
What's changed since your initial install? Is the same behavior present with another iPod?
No changes since initial install. And the bahavior is also present with another ipod.

Another note.. Ive noticed that sometimes when I unplug and replug in my ipod, this INIT screen is a little quicker.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #1060
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
No changes since initial install. And the bahavior is also present with another ipod.

Another note.. Ive noticed that sometimes when I unplug and replug in my ipod, this INIT screen is a little quicker.

Thanks for the help.
The INIT simply means the iPod is initializing with the DICE, this will go away after your first command/button press.
Closed Thread