E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #1201
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanali View Post
Tom, this is what I was talking about in the other thread (plus the clicking sounds others have reported above. Those are exactly the problems I had with the original unit). Does the DICE kit come with this built in now since you said it should not give alternator noise?
The number of posts is a bit one-sided.

The forums represent a small number of the kits that are out on the market, with specific issues being brought up for discussion. With a perfectly working system - there's nothing to post. Not all kits experience this behavior and it can be contributed to a number of issues like EFI, improper installation, loose connection, damaged harness or a defective module.

If you feel the module is the culprit, contact me via phone or email and we'll be happy to have your system tested to see if this is the issue, or if you need to go further within your BMW for diagnosis.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 AM   #1202
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Tom -
Im getting a lot of static through my DICE lately.
There is ALWAYS clicking and and humming coming through when I listen to my iPod, but if i change over to an in-dash cd or the radio the sound is crystal clear.

Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #1203
Adanali

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5spd mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The number of posts is a bit one-sided.

The forums represent a small number of the kits that are out on the market, with specific issues being brought up for discussion. With a perfectly working system - there's nothing to post. Not all kits experience this behavior and it can be contributed to a number of issues like EFI, improper installation, loose connection, damaged harness or a defective module.

If you feel the module is the culprit, contact me via phone or email and we'll be happy to have your system tested to see if this is the issue, or if you need to go further within your BMW for diagnosis.
Tom, I do not have a DICE yet. It appears to suffer from the same alternator noise problem (given the folks who posted on this thread) that previous product had (what was it called, Icelink?). My car is stock and has a factory installed CD changer. No alternator noise with the CD changer, but with Icelink it had very bad alternator noise. So in my opinion it should come with a built in noise filter (as part of the product or the cable harness), at least optionally.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #1204
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98328iguy View Post
Tom -
There is ALWAYS clicking and and humming coming through when I listen to my iPod, but if i change over to an in-dash cd or the radio the sound is crystal clear.

Any ideas?
Likely this is from other devices from the vehicle or the trunk harness is next to power lines, try relocating the trunk harness to another area in the vehicle to correct the issue.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 AM   #1205
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, I do not have a DICE yet. It appears to suffer from the same alternator noise problem (given the folks who posted on this thread) that previous product had (what was it called, Icelink?). My car is stock and has a factory installed CD changer. No alternator noise with the CD changer, but with Icelink it had very bad alternator noise. So in my opinion it should come with a built in noise filter (as part of the product or the cable harness), at least optionally.
A noise filter should not be the "solution" to an engine noise issue if experienced but used if all other steps have been exhausted. You should first retrace your steps and see if the cable is next to any other devices where it can be picking up the noise (aftermarket devices, amps, etc). Rerouting the cable most times corrects the issue.

There is no reason for a noise filter or ground loop isolator if the install is performed properly in the first place. The purpose of this thread is a Q/A session and to troubleshoot specific issues if they should arise.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #1206
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98328iguy View Post
Tom -

Any ideas?
Same here. I have moved the unit, checked the wires, and still nothing. All I get is this horrible static noise in the background while playing my music that just started out of nowhere a few weeks ago. Up until then, it worked fine...

Tom, I just got the ipod touch. I saw a post of yours in another thread a couple days ago saying that the dice kit worked fine with the touch. I went and tried plugging my touch in earlier this morning in place of my nano, and although I got the touch to play out of the radio, I could only control it through the actual touch. None of the steering wheel controls worked, and when I changed the song on the touch, the song title; album;artist info wouldn't change on the radio. It would always just read the info from the first song it played.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS

Last edited by bimmerchop; 10-04-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #1207
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Same here. I have moved the unit, checked the wires, and still nothing. All I get is this horrible static noise in the background while playing my music that jsut started out of nowhere.

Tom, I just got the ipod touch. I saw a post of yours in another thread a couple days ago saying that the dice kit worked fine with the touch. I went and tried plugging my touch in earlier this morning in place of my nano, and although I got the touch to play out of the radio, I could only control it through the actual touch. None of the steering wheel controls worked, and when I changed the song on the touch, the song title; album;artist info wouldn't changed on the radio. It would always just read the info from the first song it played.
The touch works with the DICE, but you do not get touchscreen operation while connected. If you want to browse the iPod commands of the touch while connected, perform the following steps:

1. Connect touch
2. When iPhone asks to go into accessory mode, press NO or wait for several seconds
3. Press the HOME button for +7 seconds
4. Navigate through touch like normal.

One caveat, you will not have proper text display or steering wheel/radio control in this mode. To return to normal, disconnect/reconnect the touch.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #1208
Adanali

Quote:
A noise filter should not be the "solution" to an engine noise issue if experienced but used if all other steps have been exhausted. You should first retrace your steps and see if the cable is next to any other devices where it can be picking up the noise (aftermarket devices, amps, etc). Rerouting the cable most times corrects the issue.

There is no reason for a noise filter or ground loop isolator if the install is performed properly in the first place. The purpose of this thread is a Q/A session and to troubleshoot specific issues if they should arise.
Tom, what are all other steps? You have suggested the filter to a number of people on these threads. I could not find any posts that claimed the filter fixed the problem for them.

I did find this page, a 540 driver had the same issue and was able to route the cable to get rid of the noise (he had to do alot more work, including having to remove the front seat to fit it):

http://www.gunsmoke.com/cars/540i/dice/index.html

But I do not have time to do the same thing on my 2002 330Ci. If you have a sure way to make it work without the noise problem I'd order it in a heart beat.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #1209
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, what are all other steps? You have suggested the filter to a number of people on these threads. I could not find any posts that claimed the filter fixed the problem for them.

I did find this page, a 540 driver had the same issue and was able to route the cable to get rid of the noise (he had to do alot more work, including having to remove the front seat to fit it):

But I do not have time to do the same thing on my 2002 330Ci. If you have a sure way to make it work without the noise problem I'd order it in a heart beat.
You're being overly paranoid - especially since you have not even ordered a kit yet. Most cases do not need a noise filter if the installation is performed properly. Since only specific issues are brought up - the issues are a bit one-sided. With a perfectly working kit - there's no questions to ask. If you are unsure - have a professional installer install the kit for you - they have the experience and know-how to troubleshoot on the spot if needed.

The purpose of this thread is a Q/A session and not meant to grade a product.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #1210
Adanali

Quote:
You're being overly paranoid - especially since you have not even ordered a kit yet. Most cases do not need a noise filter if the installation is performed properly. Since only specific issues are brought up - the issues are a bit one-sided. With a perfectly working kit - there's no questions to ask. If you are unsure - have a professional installer install the kit for you - they have the experience and know-how to troubleshoot on the spot if needed.

The purpose of this thread is a Q/A session and not meant to grade a product.
Tom, as I said in one of these threads, I did order the Icelink and tried it. I got the alternator noise and some other issues I cannot recall. After trying out a few things I got nowhere with it, so I returned it.

I am not following your point on 'one-sided' argument. There are many others who have reported the same noise and you suggested they use the filter (you said "some BMWs are more susceptible to alternator noise than others" or some such). I am not making this up. I want it to work. I just do not have the time to debug it.

So what is the 'proper' installation? Can you explain what kind of installation mistake would cause this noise? I do not want to be in a position where after spending a few hours I have the noise problem and I have to spend more time trying to get rid of it. And I cannot solve it I have to send it back and pay for shipping.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #1211
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Tom, as I said in one of these threads, I did order the Icelink and tried it. I got the alternator noise and some other issues I cannot recall. After trying out a few things I got nowhere with it, so I returned it.

I am not following your point on 'one-sided' argument. There are many others who have reported the same noise and you suggested they use the filter (you said "some BMWs are more susceptible to alternator noise than others" or some such). I am not making this up. I want it to work. I just do not have the time to debug it.

So what is the 'proper' installation? Can you explain what kind of installation mistake would cause this noise? I do not want to be in a position where after spending a few hours I have the noise problem and I have to spend more time trying to get rid of it. And I cannot solve it I have to send it back and pay for shipping.
Proper installation instructions are here: http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php. If followed correctly, you will not have engine noise.

As for "debugging" there is not a kit installed in your car yet - there's nothing to debug.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #1212
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Proper installation instructions are here: http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php. If followed correctly, you will not have engine noise.
My installation was done properly by following the installation tutorial on your site. As I posted earlier in an email I sent you Tom, the kit worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago when the static noise comes on at random times. I've tried relocating the unit and checking the wires, but nothing has changed. I just have a hard time spending more money (granted the noise filter is cheap) on another part if it isn't going to do anything to resolve the problem. Why am I suspicious that t won't do anything to resolve the problem if I haven't even ordered it yet? Well, out of all the people that you have suggested to order the noise filter, I have not seen any report back with an update on whether or not it resolved issue.

I just want to enjoy my music again

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #1213
tom @ eas
european auto source

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
My installation was done properly by following the installation tutorial on your site. As I posted earlier in an email I sent you Tom, the kit worked flawlessly up until a few weeks ago when the static noise comes on at random times. I've tried relocating the unit and checking the wires, but nothing has changed. I just have a hard time spending more money (granted the noise filter is cheap) on another part if it isn't going to do anything to resolve the problem. Why am I suspicious that t won't do anything to resolve the problem if I haven't even ordered it yet? Well, out of all the people that you have suggested to order the noise filter, I have not seen any report back with an update on whether or not it resolved issue.

I just want to enjoy my music again
That's just the issue - most times the GLI (ground loop isolator/noise filter) works and we never hear back from the user, some do follow up with success. Without us being physically there to troubleshoot your BMW, we can only work from the specific description that is given to us - we've chosen to do this on an open forum in hopes that others can see what steps were followed using a simple search.

First step is always to relocate the cable and/or DICE module to another area in the vehicle to see if the noise is diminished or eliminated. If the source of the engine noise cannot be found - use the GLI.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #1214
Adanali

Quote:
This guy's experience says otherwise. May be there are other also.
I had the same issue with Icelink. It was properly installed and I got the alternator noise.

Quote:
As for "debugging" there is not a kit installed in your car yet - there's nothing to debug.
I was talking about 'if' I get and it and spend time installing it then I do not have time to debug it.

Bottom line, I am not convinced DICE is any better in terms of alternator noise issue. And you have not done or said anything to convince me otherwise. So I'll stay with my CD changer.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #1215
tom @ eas
european auto source

We're not here to convince - only educate and offer assistance. Let me know if you change your mind in the near future.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #1216
RLBork

My Ride: 330Ci M-tech
OK, I installed the DICE in my 2004 330Ci (which by the way plays MP3s on the CD player even though it shouldn't). The sound is great but the software keeps crashing. If the iPod wheel is touched all controls and data on the radio are lost. Still can control it from the iPod but it stays at same song on radio screen. Only way to fix this is diconnect the iPod and run through INIT screens. Kind of a pain while driving. What did I install wrong or is this a problem with the Nano?

Also, just a minor gripe. Paid for 2nd day air but never told items were back-ordered. Told when they come in they will be sent 2nd day air....too late at that point. Should have said they were not available at purchase point. And hey Tom what's with the attitude on the phone and not calling back. Makes me think I made a mistake not ordering from the forum sponsor....
Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #1217
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBork View Post
OK, I installed the DICE in my 2004 330Ci (which by the way plays MP3s on the CD player even though it shouldn't). The sound is great but the software keeps crashing. If the iPod wheel is touched all controls and data on the radio are lost. Still can control it from the iPod but it stays at same song on radio screen. Only way to fix this is diconnect the iPod and run through INIT screens. Kind of a pain while driving. What did I install wrong or is this a problem with the Nano?

Also, just a minor gripe. Paid for 2nd day air but never told items were back-ordered. Told when they come in they will be sent 2nd day air....too late at that point. Should have said they were not available at purchase point. And hey Tom what's with the attitude on the phone and not calling back. Makes me think I made a mistake not ordering from the forum sponsor....
Typically all orders are shipped same day when in stock, the DICE kits were out for 2 days last week do to a wait on the PCB boards - we have since been restocked and are back on schedule.

It sounds like either the nano was connected while powering up, or the battery cables were not disconnected when the installation was performed.

Perform the following steps and make sure all DIP switches in the module are in the UP position:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem
Old 10-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #1218
RLBork

My Ride: 330Ci M-tech
Will try the procedure. But I remember asking specifically about the battery and you said (kind of snippy) just do what the instructions with the circuit breakers.

I realize this is a firmware/software nightmare in order to get the iPod to do sll you are trying thru a CD port, just keep us up to speed and get rid of those bad instructions that come in the box.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #1219
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBork View Post
Will try the procedure. But I remember asking specifically about the battery and you said (kind of snippy) just do what the instructions with the circuit breakers.

I realize this is a firmware/software nightmare in order to get the iPod to do sll you are trying thru a CD port, just keep us up to speed and get rid of those bad instructions that come in the box.
I don't rememebr the phone call, but if this is the impression you got - I apologize. We do get a lot of calls each day. If you have any questions on the kit, feel free to call or email me directly.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #1220
IOIIOOO

My Ride: 2004 BMW X3
Is there any sort of DIP switch configuration on the HD Dice unit to get it to not take control of the iPhone and just allow control from the iPhone itself? I've read that on the Dice iPod unit, switching the two dip switches to off allows this, but I didn't know if the HD unit had anything equivalent. I've tried the "home for 7+ seconds" workaround, and it only works some of the time for whatever reason (the rest of the time, it just goes back to the home screen after 7 seconds and then still shows "Accessory Attached".

Also, any word on the "stealth" antenna that has been reportedly in development for the HD Dice units?

Thanks for the direct feedback you've been giving!
Closed Thread