E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
loftymatt

My Ride: E46 Compact
Multiplex wiring, can you fit electrical extras?

Apologise if this is in the wrong section.

To start with can anyone tell me if my car has Multiplex wiring please?

It's an E46 compact registered in 2002 (52 reg).

Second part of this question is:

I have bought myself a reverse camera and recording box (so that I can record any incidents etc whilst driving/car is parked). If my car is multiplex wiring can someone tell me how to wire it in please? I would like to have it recorded mainly after car has been turned off (e.g. record at night) but if it can be wired to work in the day as well that would be great.

From what i'm aware of it only needs a live feed and an earth feed but if it is multiplex I'm not sure what live feed to take and from where.

Thanks Matt
loftymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Matt,
You've posted at the right place!

Each speaker has its own pair of wires that originate at the head unit (I believe that only BMWs sold in the USA have a separate amp that's located in the trunk). I think you'll need to run new wires for the camera. It's not difficult but time consuming. Good luck!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
loftymatt

My Ride: E46 Compact
Hi thanks for the reply.

Running the wiring isnt a problem and to be honest actually wiring it in isn't a problem.

In my old car I wired from scratch central locking, alarm and electric mirrors.

What I could do with knowing is for the live wire (power feed) where should I take it from (splice into)? what colour is it?

On my old car everything had seperate wires, but if this car does have multiplex wiring I'm unsure of which wire does what etc.

Thanks
loftymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
We're slightly challenged with UK spec and don't see any Compacts over here. So, a "live feed" or fused "hot line" would be available by installing a "leaf" fuse insert or double fuse tap in your fuse array. The leaf kit is a receiving socket pair placed in an unused (blank) fuse location. You install the sockets and a new fuse rated for your recorder. They have an "add-a-fuse" device which has single blades going into the existing fuse socket but it adds a second fuse socket and a 10" wire for your needs. These are available at auto stores and allow any exiting fuse to be stacked with a second. Very slick and quick device.

Multiplex usually refers to data lines or bus. Can-bus, K-bus, etc. are on-board, data logic for body, trans and engine management. I'm not sure what you're looking for here? Multiplexing cuts down on overall point to point wiring.

As the other poster points out, you'll need dedicated wires for the cam.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 06-27-2012 at 09:20 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote