E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 02:21 AM   #1
JB28

My Ride: 2000 328i
Arc audio 1500D-R vs JL 1000/1 amplifier

If I'm going to be installing two JL 10w6v2 subs in a sealed enclosure (facing the trunk), which amp is going to be best for this setup: the Arc Audio 1500D-R or the JL 1000/1 amplifier? They are both 1000 watt amps. Does name brand even make a difference when it comes to something like this?

Also, do you guys know if dynamat will help my setup at all because the front left speaker does rattle quite a bit at certain frequencies (harmon kardon system).

One last thing, promise, you guys think I'll be able to actually feel this bass from the inside as well as hear it from the outside? I asked several people, and the majority said that the optimal setup is to get a sealed enclosure.

Your opinions please~
JB28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:38 AM   #2
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
I'm a JL Audio whore, so I'd say go w/ their 1000/1. I don't have personal experience with Arc, although I know someone on here or DTM is a reseller/manager over in Canada or something (I remember some post he made)..

Anyway, I say go w/ the JL since you're going w/ their subs anyway. I'm sure they used those subs (or the w7s) to test out the amps, so I'm sure it'd be a great match.

Also, definitely do dynamat or some sound deadening material on your rear deck and if you can afford it, all throughout your trunk. The w6v2s are nice subs and will push a lot of air.

If you have a ski hole pass, I suggest cutting it out and leaving your rear arm rest down. But I'm sure you'll still be able to feel/hear the bass even with them up.
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
CrazyBimmer
Manwhore

My Ride: 09 M3 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to CrazyBimmer
From what i have read on audio forums..... ARC AUDIO is one of the best you can buy. There was one thread asking the forum what their top 5 favorite amps were..... ARC AUDIO was in everyones list. Not many people had JL in their list. I will try to find the link...
Old 10-24-2002, 05:18 PM   #4
JB28

My Ride: 2000 328i
Looks like my other post got moved over to ICE as well

Well, sorry to have two identical posts in the same forum. I originally posted one in I.C.E and another in the general forum, but I guess the MOD moved the one that was in the general forum into this forum. Sorry~

Anyway, since the arc audio 1500D-R and the JL 1000/1 do not seem to have significant differences as technical specs go, I think i'm just going to stick with the arc audio one, considering that www.audiooptions.com (the place im getting all this installed), is charging $270 more for the JL one.

Thanks for all your help guys, especially crazy bimmer.

I also plan to dynamat the license plate, as well as the two large front speakers. But i'm still debating if I should cut a hole where the ski pas is supposed to be (since I do not have that option). Does anyone know if this will actually help the bass enter the cabin? Again, this is a sealed enclosure with the subs facing the back of the trunk.

FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS A SEALED ENCLOSURE: Is there a lot of rattling?

Thanks all~
JB28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:02 PM   #5
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
unfortunarely there are some well documented rattles in our car.... so I think you should sound insulate the rear parcel shelf as well, which is particularly prone to rattles.

HaN-hAn
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote