E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Heartchill

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i SPORT
Icelink Ipod question

If a car needs to be prewired for a cd changer for Icelink to be hooked up, can I still have my cd changer hooked up and run icelink??? Its an 01 330i Nav
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
tharaka

My Ride: 330i sedan
Unfortuneately, it is one or the other, not both.
tharaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Heartchill

is there any other way for me to hardwire my ipod AND keep my cd changer??
Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Mikeee46coupe

My Ride: IS ON DPE's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartchill View Post
Not that i've seen/heard of, I just intalled an Ice-link, it's much better than a CD changer, 30GB far surpasses 6 CD's.

DPE Wheels, H&R, M3 Interior...way too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Once the Ice>link in installed, CD play is done through the head unit. Best to rip all your CDs to the IPOD and get the Artist and Title displaying on the headunit (with MP3 tags updated). You lose the mechanical noise of the CD spinning.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
RichardP

My Ride: M5
Dension Gateway 400 allows you to keep the OEM CD Changer and gives iPod integration (similar to ice->Link), but requires you to cycle the ignition between using the GAteway 400 and CD Changer.

Intravee allows you to use both an Alpine KCA-420i iPod interface and Alpine CHA-S634 CD Changer, but not the OEM changer.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Heartchill

Thanks for the replies. I was just wary of eliminating the cd changer in the event that a friend brought a cd or my iPod was on the fritz. I'm giong with Icelink next week. Shall I expect sound quality to be as good if not better than a cd?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
My experience, with the BMW Harmon Kardon sound, it's as good or better than CD.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
If a car needs to be prewired for a cd changer for Icelink to be hooked up, can I still have my cd changer hooked up and run icelink??? Its an 01 330i Nav
No need for a CD Changer to be installed, we just use the existing connections. This is the kit you need:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

The DICE iPod Kit will integrate perfectly with your BMW and offer steering wheel control as well as ID3 text and charging of your iPod. Full CD Quality can be expected after installation. There's even an integrated AUX port for other devices.

Unfortunately, the Gateway systems are not reliable - we simply do not recommend them.

The DICE kit will come with everything needed w/ the docking cable. The iPod can be safely stored away in the glove compartment for 100% stealth installation and accessed completely from the steering wheel controls. The DICE comes with a 15-foot cable length to reach anywhere in the vehicle you like. We have tutorials at the following links:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php

Let me know if you have any further questions.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #10
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was just wary of eliminating the cd changer in the event that a friend brought a cd or my iPod was on the fritz. I'm giong with Icelink next week. Shall I expect sound quality to be as good if not better than a cd?
The DICE audio will sound exactly as if you were listing to the iPod with headphones on. This higher the bitrate on the file, the better the sound.

Quote:
Why bother? You already have in-dash CD that will be retained. No need to confuse the system with unneeded equipment. Most people forget all about the changer after the iPod is integrated.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
Mmmmmmmmmm

My Ride: is blacker every day
You can retain the changer with an ICElink plus, all you need is an extra module that's not really expensive. It has a simple pushbutton switch to change from iPod to CDc...

I think I'm going to go that route, I need to retain cd player ability in case I want to compete in competition again. I have the 4:3 nav, so no front loader cd in mine.

'01 325Ci - Cosmos Black - staggered 18's - H&R race - Skytune Kpeng - c/k GruppeM - 50 shot - EBC discs & red stuff pads - smoke LED tails - smoke front/side - blackout kidneys
ICE : mk3 nav - EQS - PPI PC6600 - 2x PG Sapphire 1.0 - 4x Crossfire BMF-mb6 - 2x Dynaudio MD140mkII + MD100 - 2x SPL Dynamics DIG-1450 - 2x Brahma 12
Mmmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmmmmmmm View Post
You can retain the changer with an ICElink plus, all you need is an extra module that's not really expensive. It has a simple pushbutton switch to change from iPod to CDc...

I think I'm going to go that route, I need to retain cd player ability in case I want to compete in competition again. I have the 4:3 nav, so no front loader cd in mine.
We made one of these a couple of years ago - two things happened:

1) the switch was very unreliable, the BMW was never set up to "hot-swap" devices.
2) No one used it. The switch was set on iPod 95% of the time.

Eventually, the product was discontinued.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Mmmmmmmmmm

My Ride: is blacker every day
Interesting info !

'01 325Ci - Cosmos Black - staggered 18's - H&R race - Skytune Kpeng - c/k GruppeM - 50 shot - EBC discs & red stuff pads - smoke LED tails - smoke front/side - blackout kidneys
ICE : mk3 nav - EQS - PPI PC6600 - 2x PG Sapphire 1.0 - 4x Crossfire BMF-mb6 - 2x Dynaudio MD140mkII + MD100 - 2x SPL Dynamics DIG-1450 - 2x Brahma 12
Mmmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote