E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
HTown-ZHP

My Ride: 2004 ZHP
Angry Front Clear Corners are melting!! Need help.

Hello all,

Need some help trying to figure out why my front clear corners are starting to melt . I have a '04 330i ZHP and changed the OEM Front corners to clear ones. First set I bought were from ebay (DEPO) clear corners. Bought some silver bulbs from AUTOLUMINATION that blink super white. Anyway stupid things started melting a few weeks later (normal operation of vehicle) I suspect from turning them on at night time (what the hell was I thinking using my lights at night). The chrome backing started melting first and then the plastic behind the chrome part followed. I figured that it was either the bulbs that were burning too hot or the crapy DEPO lights, so I went on to BIMMIAN and bought the OEM 325i clear corners and the solaris bulbs, thinking that would do the trick. Well....it didn't, now the OEM clears are starting to bubble at the chrome part. What the heck is going on! I have not heard anyone post a similar problem out there. Is anyone else having the same problem?? Look at the pictures it is also making the chrome part above the bulb hazy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	185860 Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	185861 Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	185862

Last edited by HTown-ZHP; 06-27-2006 at 03:40 PM.
HTown-ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
donjuan45i

My Ride: e.quart.seis
I would guess its your bulbs, if you want to keep them, do the corner delete mod. I have regular amper bulbs in my clears from ebay, never had a prob. but I am thinking about doing the mod myself.
donjuan45i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
HTown-ZHP

As a matter of fact a friend and I are working on the corner mod.
I just can't believe a higher end product like the Solaris bulbs would melt the lights. Have they done any testing on these bulbs? I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. It has to be due to the coating on the bulbs making them burn hotter.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
donjuan45i

yea sucks, im sure someone on hear has to have exp. this problem. btw how much is it costing you? and is it pretty easy? I saw the diy and looked simple, wouldnt know tho, havent really taken a good look at the car.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
SSRGT3

My Ride: M3 SMGII and 330Ci
Sorry to hear about the corners....

I found similar posts with the Solaris bulbs melting the Depo housing. I planned on getting the smoked Depos for my M3. But I have solaris bulbs on my OEM corners. No issues with the OEM corners. However, I did notice the bulbs burned hotter then my stock ones. I was told that the coating on the solaris bulbs made them burn hotter.

Just do a search on depo housing and see what others are using for an alternative to Solaris bulbs.
SSRGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Maybe a dirty contact or loose connection? Either one will give you more resistance at the contacts = voltage drop = heat generation.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
Chris@Bimmian
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323i
We will look into it immediately although, we have not heard of such a case. I've had the Solaris Niveus running in my car for over year with OEM clears and now aftermarket black clear corners, and no bubbling or melting issue. Team Premier who's sponsored by Bimmian also runs the Solaris bulbs, and no issues have come back.

Perhaps a DEPO quality issue? We will look into it. Thanks.
Chris@Bimmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
djmatty
Banned

My Ride: Black '99 328i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to djmatty
It's a Depo issue. A lot of people with Depo corners with Solaris bulbs had them melt.......seems it's not just an issue with the Solaris bulbs, but with pretty much any bulb that puts out heat with the Depo corners.
djmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
Hung@Fiber-D
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Car with Silver CF
Use the OEM brake light bulb. They are clear, and blink white at night. Amber in the day. Also it doesn't run as hot as the one you just mentioned.
Hung@Fiber-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:38 AM   #10
donjuan45i

maybe you should order a new set of solaris bulbs, maybe you got a bionic pair. I think itll be alright if you do the corner delete.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
HTown-ZHP

I wrote in to the guys at Bimmian and they are looking into it. It just seems strange that the OEM clear corners I bought afterwards are melting as well. They should be of a higher quality. What bugs me is I finally got my car looking the way I want it and the darn things are melting.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 AM   #12
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
maybe you should look into getting leds, that sure won't melt the housing.
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #13
MB Hawaii

My Ride: 04' M3vert, 05' E500
I bought a set of invisibulbs from the dealership and haven't had any problems with my DEPOs. I think they're the ones that go with the 2000 3 series clear corners. I got the idea from this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=depo+melted with the same problem as yours. Just be sure to get the correct offset for the bulbs. Good luck!
MB Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
sillieidiot

damn mines starting to bubble up and haze up now. these are going to be my second pair of melted ones if it continues.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
Now I will actually believe everyone when they spout off "OEM, OEM, OEM you get what you pay for"

auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
Now I will actually believe everyone when they spout off "OEM, OEM, OEM you get what you pay for"

Penny-wise but pound foolish my friend....

Had both Solaris and OEM silver bulbs running in my OEM clears for 2+ years.

Actually had an OEM BMW bulb melt into an OEM bulbs holder. Ha, thats the worst of it though. I made the dealer buy me a new one.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:21 AM   #17
sillieidiot

well it melted my depos so i got oem, now the oem is starting to melt. may be i have bad luck or something
Old 07-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #18
MB Hawaii

My Ride: 04' M3vert, 05' E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot
well it melted my depos so i got oem, now the oem is starting to melt. may be i have bad luck or something
I seems obvious that the bulbs are the cause. Try switching back to your OEM bulbs for a bit to be sure.
MB Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
On my old F-150 I had a set of "Hyper White" headlight bulbs start to melt a set of Crystal-Eyes headlights. I put regular, boring, white/standard voltage bulbs inand they stopped melting. Of course the lense started to yellow after about si months so I ment and bought OEM Lightning ones which never gave me an issue over the next three years.

To be sure that it is or isn't the bulbs, make sure that they are the OEM wattage. Most of the aftermarket bulbs have a higher wattage which will lead to higher temps and melted plastic housings.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #20
sillieidiot

they are the same wattage. i'm pretty sure its the bulbs, i just put them on a couple of weeks ago after bimmian sent me the replacements for the other ones that melted and broke. before i change them to solaris, i was using the oem ones for a couple of weeks and they were fine