E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
SkipII

My Ride: 2001 330 Ci
UUC swaybar noise driving me nuts

I have done everything I know to do to eliminate this creaking/torquing noise from my UUC swaybars. The noise only occurs when the front wheels go over a bump at different times, e.g. when turning into a driveway.).

I have shot greaswe into the sway bar link fittings, taken off the red bushings on the bar itself and lubed them. The bars are not hitting either the axle nor the upper control arm.

And, yes, I have checked for subframe damage.

The stock sway bars never required all this care and feeding. Is there something about these UUCs that I'm missing?

thanks.
SkipII is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
jvr826

My Ride: '05 330ci 6MT
Sounds like you have the Gen III's like I do. I don't have any noises from the front at all. The rears have a very faint metallic sound from the end links, nothing the sound system can't remedy.

From what you said, you did everything right on the installation. Could it be something else? The shield up front perhaps? I remember there were alot of screws holding it on, maybe it's loose?

jvr826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
e46myway

My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipII
I have done everything I know to do to eliminate this creaking/torquing noise from my UUC swaybars. The noise only occurs when the front wheels go over a bump at different times, e.g. when turning into a driveway.).

I have shot greaswe into the sway bar link fittings, taken off the red bushings on the bar itself and lubed them. The bars are not hitting either the axle nor the upper control arm.

And, yes, I have checked for subframe damage.

The stock sway bars never required all this care and feeding. Is there something about these UUCs that I'm missing?

thanks.
Mine used to do the same until I removed and sold them. They were great for handling, but there was annual maintenance.

One thing that I did was that between the bar and the bushing, I wrapped some teflon tape before I lubed the bushings. That's a trick that many have used. Worked a year at a time under moderate use here in the northeast.

- e46myway
e46myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
SkipII

Been there,done that

Thanks for the responses.

First, no this is not a metallic sound. It is a very pronounced groaning/creaking noise that only occurs when the front wheels go over a bump at different times. I even put the rear wheels up on rhino ramps and jack up one side of the front and heard the noise. Cannot tell where it is coming from but it is as if something is gripping and then letting go under torque.

I have found some old posts where others were having the same problem, even though they did not install new sway bars.
I have used teflon tape. All the contacts points are well-lubed.

This has me baffled...
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
325 & 55

My Ride: 2001 325Ci Step
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46myway
One thing that I did was that between the bar and the bushing, I wrapped some teflon tape before I lubed the bushings. That's a trick that many have used. Worked a year at a time under moderate use here in the northeast.
- e46myway
, SKIPII you might try this. I have not had any such problems from day one.

Here's a pic of the Teflon tape wrap:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0957.JPG
Views:	1096
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	186489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0960.JPG
Views:	1019
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	186490  
Old 07-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
SkipII

Done that, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 & 55
, SKIPII you might try this. I have not had any such problems from day one.

Here's a pic of the Teflon tape wrap:
Thanks for taking the time to post pics. As noted, I have already done that, though.

I wonder if i have the bushing bracket torqued too tight?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
L73087

My Ride: 05Alpine 330CI ZHP
Scaring me guys I justed order these
Old 07-03-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
The amount of noise a bad front swaybar endlink can make is frightening. I suggest you jack up and support the front of the car and have a friend turn the steering wheel while you listen for noises. Putting a hand on the front endlinks while doing this may also help you find the culprit.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
SkipII

Wrong end

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
The amount of noise a bad front swaybar endlink can make is frightening. I suggest you jack up and support the front of the car and have a friend turn the steering wheel while you listen for noises. Putting a hand on the front endlinks while doing this may also help you find the culprit.
It's the rear, not hte front.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
If it's the rear..are you sure it's the swaybar? It may be your rear shock mounts. Seeing how the rear shocks are moving also as one side goes up and down, these are connected to the rear shock mounts and a clunking noise is a great way to describe that problem. Give them a check and let us know. It's easy to misdiagnose a problem in the suspension as it's connected to so many other parts. Add that your somewhat new swaybars would accentuate loads on the RSM.
The only other thing that comes to mind is make sure you tighten your bolts to the bottom shock and the swaybars as the car is unsuspended. Like you said, on ramps like it would sit/settle-in when on the ground. Otherwise you maybe pre-loading the suspension and it's mounts causing it to bind when fully extended/compressed. If you tighten them up as it's hanging on jackstands or a lift, it locks them in at the wrong geometry. But my money is on the RSM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
SkipII

Worth a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
If it's the rear..are you sure it's the swaybar? It may be your rear shock mounts. Seeing how the rear shocks are moving also as one side goes up and down, these are connected to the rear shock mounts and a clunking noise is a great way to describe that problem. Give them a check and let us know. It's easy to misdiagnose a problem in the suspension as it's connected to so many other parts. Add that your somewhat new swaybars would accentuate loads on the RSM.
The only other thing that comes to mind is make sure you tighten your bolts to the bottom shock and the swaybars as the car is unsuspended. Like you said, on ramps like it would sit/settle-in when on the ground. Otherwise you maybe pre-loading the suspension and it's mounts causing it to bind when fully extended/compressed. If you tighten them up as it's hanging on jackstands or a lift, it locks them in at the wrong geometry. But my money is on the RSM.
But I'm not sure what I'm "checking." The lower mounts are just bushings pressed into the shock itself. I assume you mean upper? If so, that is just a rubber disc or washer, if I recall. So, are you saying I just lube those points or is there somehting else about the RSMas I should be inspecting.

This noise started right after I installed the sway bars, which is why I started there.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

Quote:
It's the rear, not hte front.
You have to adjust the rear endlinks with the suspension loaded (on ramps is easiest). I bet something is hitting a half shaft because the links were set with the car in the air.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
SkipII

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
You have to adjust the rear endlinks with the suspension loaded (on ramps is easiest). I bet something is hitting a half shaft because the links were set with the car in the air.
As noted earlier, the sway bar is not hitting anything, This is a distinct creaking/groaning noise.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
But I'm not sure what I'm "checking." The lower mounts are just bushings pressed into the shock itself. I assume you mean upper? If so, that is just a rubber disc or washer, if I recall. So, are you saying I just lube those points or is there somehting else about the RSMas I should be inspecting.

This noise started right after I installed the sway bars, which is why I started there.
The rear shock mounts are bonded rubber to metal guides(for the rear shock's piston rod). It's on the top of the shock where it mounts to the sheetmetal. What happens is that this breaks apart and causes the clunking on compression/rebound. I'm sure there are threads here or in the DIY. Pull back the trunk liner and dust cap to view them. Stock RSM often don't last more than 30K on a firm suspension. If you go to Bavauto.com they have examples listed of broken ones and several heavy duty ones available. But, this may not be the problem, in which case the binding could be the links. You say you only fully tightened up the rear suspension while it was NOT suspendened? Jackstands are no good, ramps or level is.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #15
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

Quote:
As noted earlier, the sway bar is not hitting anything, This is a distinct creaking/groaning noise.

After re-reading your first post in this thread, I still think you should check the front endlinks. Undercar sounds can be deceptive so what you think might be coming from in back might actually be up front.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #16
juicytofu

My Ride: the subway
sounds like your control arm bushings are done
Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #17
SkipII

Sigh...

I appreciate all the responses, but they seem off the mark.

Here again are the facts:

The noise is from the rear -- no doubt.

The sway bar is not hitting anything. It is a creaking/groaning nolse that omly occurs when the car body torques, such as going over a bump at an angle.

It is not control arm bushings. That is a clunk, not a graon/creak. (Plus I replaced them a few months agp.

Yes, I did the entire install with the car on ramps. In fact, if I leave the car on ramps and jack up one front side, I hear the creak/groan.

Yes, I used Teflon tape.

I am unclear about the RSM idea -- is this a shock mount that is integral with the body or just the removable washer and bushing that comes with a shock? If the latter, unlikely culprit -- my Konis are only two years old.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #18
SkipII

Understand RSM better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
The rear shock mounts are bonded rubber to metal guides(for the rear shock's piston rod). It's on the top of the shock where it mounts to the sheetmetal. What happens is that this breaks apart and causes the clunking on compression/rebound. I'm sure there are threads here or in the DIY. Pull back the trunk liner and dust cap to view them. Stock RSM often don't last more than 30K on a firm suspension. If you go to Bavauto.com they have examples listed of broken ones and several heavy duty ones available. But, this may not be the problem, in which case the binding could be the links. You say you only fully tightened up the rear suspension while it was NOT suspendened? Jackstands are no good, ramps or level is.
Alex,

Thanks for your patience. i did a little homework and realize now what you mean -- the RSMs are serviceable items. I will upgrade to Meyle and give them a try. I talked with UUC and they said I should have lubricated the OUTSIDE of the red bushings, not just the inside where it makes contact with the sway bar. I doubt that's it, but I'm trying anything.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #19
rubberdub

My Ride: E46, E36, E30, E320
Perhaps try aftermarket adjustable rear sway links to properly load the aftermarket sway bar.
rubberdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #20
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

First, no this is not a metallic sound. It is a very pronounced groaning/creaking noise that only occurs when the front wheels go over a bump at different times. I even put the rear wheels up on rhino ramps and jack up one side of the front and heard the noise. Cannot tell where it is coming from but it is as if something is gripping and then letting go under torque.

I have found some old posts where others were having the same problem, even though they did not install new sway bars.
I have used teflon tape. All the contacts points are well-lubed.

This has me baffled...

I have the exact same problem. It drives me nuts too! Thought I was the only one. Any other sway bars you can recommend? I bought mine last year...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote