E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
BET325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cerritos, Ca
Posts: 936
My Ride: 2004 325 CI
DDE ballast burned out, need help??

i wash my car yesterday, driving it around i notice a strong burning smell but i didnt know where it was coming from. this morning i realized that my passenger dde's were out, open the hood and found that the ballast must of got wet and burned out.

now, can i get the ballast seperatly or are the dde's on that side perhaps are damage also and need replacement???
BET325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
BMuu328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Haverhill, Ma
Posts: 54
My Ride: 99 328i
Same issue here.... Need one ballast! Drivers side DDE's out after washing.
BMuu328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by BET325
i wash my car yesterday, driving it around i notice a strong burning smell but i didnt know where it was coming from. this morning i realized that my passenger dde's were out, open the hood and found that the ballast must of got wet and burned out.

now, can i get the ballast seperatly or are the dde's on that side perhaps are damage also and need replacement???
What brand?
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
JETBLACK 330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Ma
Posts: 744
My Ride: Tucks 19's
I had the same issue and went to Bavarian where I bought them and they gave me a new one with the exchange of the old one.
Good Luck Guys!
JETBLACK 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Timbo126
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 722
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Makes sure to check all of your connections because I had a simialr problem and one my wires had just gotten wet then i re wired them and now they work fine the ballast wasn't damages at all.
Timbo126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
dankbmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: long island
Posts: 532
My Ride: 02 Maxima, 6spd/HLSD
Send a message via AIM to dankbmw
your ballast is def burnt out if you got it wet...go on ebay and search CCFL, buy the ccfl light tubes for $.99 ($7.00 shipped) and they will send you a ballast that illuminates dde's!!! have replaced mine 3x with these before i finally got sensical and waterproofed them...have predator chromiums btw...
__________________

check out my band dank effect
dankbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,418
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
If you bought the predator chromiums, you can email Nick to see if you can buy one from him. You'll probably have to pay for it.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Cal
Still a fanatic...
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: USA
Posts: 203
My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
If you bought the predator chromiums, you can email Nick to see if you can buy one from him. You'll probably have to pay for it.
No, he doesn't need to pay for them as they have lifetime warranty. They should be replaced for FREE.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,809
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
^I believe the warranty is if the product becomes/is defective, not if a ballast gets wet (user error, should have ensured it would stay dry).

You think BMW would replace your radio after you poured water in it?
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #10
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
^I believe the warranty is if the product becomes/is defective, not if a ballast gets wet (user error, should have ensured it would stay dry).

You think BMW would replace your radio after you poured water in it?
That's funny, because a lot of the vendors have water proof ballasts. Although, if my memory serves me correctly, the Predator Chromiums don't. If I am not mistaken, Umnitza (Matt) was boosting about how they didn't need to be if installed in the right spot.

Oh yea, I hear it's a nightmare to cash in on the warranty with them as well. There was a member less than a month ago complaining about it.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Porterhouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 65
My Ride: '99 323i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankbmw
your ballast is def burnt out if you got it wet...go on ebay and search CCFL, buy the ccfl light tubes for $.99 ($7.00 shipped) and they will send you a ballast that illuminates dde's!!! have replaced mine 3x with these before i finally got sensical and waterproofed them...have predator chromiums btw...
What did you do to waterproof them?
__________________


"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Sir Winston Churchill
Porterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,809
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid
That's funny, because a lot of the vendors have water proof ballasts. Although, if my memory serves me correctly, the Predator Chromiums don't. If I am not mistaken, Umnitza (Matt) was boosting about how they didn't need to be if installed in the right spot.



Oh yea, I hear it's a nightmare to cash in on the warranty with them as well. There was a member less than a month ago complaining about it.
^I've never had a problem with warranty items with Umnitza.

As far as water proof ballasts go I'm not sure about the Preds. Doesn't Jim Powell have a display with one of his ballasts floating in water? Now that's just plain cool.
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Cal
Still a fanatic...
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: USA
Posts: 203
My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
^I believe the warranty is if the product becomes/is defective, not if a ballast gets wet (user error, should have ensured it would stay dry).

You think BMW would replace your radio after you poured water in it?
First of all, I don't think that comparison is quite relevant. A more fair comparison is if your BMW (say e39, e60, e90, etc) had stock angel eyes and one of them went bad because the ballast (or any component that contributed to the failure) got wet, then YES, BMW will replace it for free. My point is that the ballast should have some water-proof resistance on it because it will get some water/moisture somehow, and if it got damaged that way, the customer should get a replacement. I'm not saying to pour water or sink it in water and be resistant to that, but to a drop or two of water, some moisture, etc, it should be resistant to that.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #14
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
Doesn't Jim Powell have a display with one of his ballasts floating in water? Now that's just plain cool.
That's exactly why I buy Xtec over the other products out there.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Cal
Still a fanatic...
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: USA
Posts: 203
My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid
That's funny, because a lot of the vendors have water proof ballasts. Although, if my memory serves me correctly, the Predator Chromiums don't. If I am not mistaken, Umnitza (Matt) was boosting about how they didn't need to be if installed in the right spot.

Oh yea, I hear it's a nightmare to cash in on the warranty with them as well. There was a member less than a month ago complaining about it.
+1. The ballasts should be waterproof (See my previous reply). Again, it's time for the original poster to contact the vendor to resolve this issue, and get a replacement ballast for free if it is damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
As far as water proof ballasts go I'm not sure about the Preds. Doesn't Jim Powell have a display with one of his ballasts floating in water? Now that's just plain cool.
I didn't want to bring up the competitor's product into this, but I do have DDEs from Jim Powell and they for sure don't have problems with water and moisture like the original poster has.

Last edited by Cal; 07-05-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,802
My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid
That's exactly why I buy Xtec over the other products out there.
Yours aren't water proof though.

The water resistant ballasts are actually on the cheaper ebay kits for some reason. They've been dipping the PC board in a silicon sealant and covering that with heatshrink (later replaced with palstic) for a couple years now. Usually if you wrap the entire region in heat shrink and some generous amounts of electrical tape you won't see water instrusion onto the balalst, but its good to keep it dry anyway.

The water proof ballasts Jim has are for the heated raptors. FWIW.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign
Yours aren't water proof though.

The water resistant ballasts are actually on the cheaper ebay kits for some reason. They've been dipping the PC board in a silicon sealant and covering that with heatshrink (later replaced with palstic) for a couple years now. Usually if you wrap the entire region in heat shrink and some generous amounts of electrical tape you won't see water instrusion onto the balalst, but its good to keep it dry anyway.

The water proof ballasts Jim has are for the heated raptors. FWIW.
Hot glue gun baby!



BTW, if mine ever break, I'm holing you and Ken personally responsible!
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #18
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,802
My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid
Hot glue gun baby!



BTW, if mine ever break, I'm holing you and Ken personally responsible!
If yours ever break you can hold Hans responsible

Its straight, I have a spare ballast for yours/Adarshes because he thought he had a dead one.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #19
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,809
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
My point is that the ballast should have some water-proof resistance on it because it will get some water/moisture somehow, and if it got damaged that way, the customer should get a replacement.
My comparison was to illustrate that the ballasts aren't advertised (AFAIK) as being water proof or resistant (just like the radio in the car). As such when a ballast is subjected to any sort of water why would you be surprised that it fails? Whether it should be water resistant or not isn't the issue, but rather if the item failed due to something outside of the manufacturers control.
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #20
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,802
My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
My comparison was to illustrate that the ballasts aren't advertised (AFAIK) as being water proof or resistant (just like the radio in the car). As such when a ballast is subjected to any sort of water why would you be surprised that it fails? Whether it should be water resistant or not isn't the issue, but rather if the item failed due to something outside of the manufactures control.
But, in defense of the consumer....

I the retailer gives very detailed install instructions that specifically say to install the ballasts in specific locations, and they become damaged in those locations due to water intrusion, would it not be caused by the instructions of the vender?

I replaced a TON of ballasts when I was selling the Leistung kits and found that out of all of the failures, maybe 3 weren't water related. It was my fault because the instructions wree initially unclear on where to put the ballasts.

Inside the headlights is ideal, but the E46 headlights are very tight for space. There used to be a good DIY with the location shown where the ballasts were kept inside the headlights, but they've now been taken down.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use