E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #21
markusmark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,679
My Ride: 2001330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkassis
Yea i agree. And like you i don't know of any good mechanic around here because i never had to take it to a mechanic either. Does anyone recommend a mechanic that specializes with bmws cars in the greater Boston area?
Contact the Boston chapter of BMWCCA for an indie recommendation.
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #22
kingkassis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
The oil never leaked to 0.5 quart low rather I added about 0.5 quart maybe 0.75 quart to bring the oil level up to the edge of the second groove on the stick. I did this a while over a month ago. As I said the oil today is still up to the same level (i.e. not low at all) and looks clean, no white stuff, no evidence of coolant there. Also I did not notice any extra white smoke or unusual thing/smell coming out of the exhaust.

is it possible that i caught this early and the anti-freeze hasn't made it's way to the engine oil?

I feel like regular flushing again won't do much. It feels like it needs some pressurized flushing system to get all stuff out and maybe some speacial cleanning agent. Does anyone know of any?

I still need to understand the source of the problem. If this was caused by me adding the off-the-shelf coolant (and that was a small amount, maybe a 1/4 gallon, and this caused some kind of chemical reaction, then repeated flushing until the stuff is all out is the way go. If it is a blown gasket then it is just a waste of time.

A compression test is something i have never done before. I have to look into it and see if this is something I'll be able to do myself.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign
How often do you check your oil? Basically, do you know the timeframe that the oil leaked to .5 quart low? My first thoughts were blown headgasket, but its weird for the oil to be coolant free still. I would try emptying the whole thing and putting some fresh coolant in, run the engine (idling) for a bit, and see if it changes color, maybe even just try distilled water...if the gasket's gone the coolant isn't that important (BMW vs just water).

If you have limited mechanical skills (maybe run a compression test if you know how) then you might be better off taking it to a shop to begin with and having them diagnose it. Like other said....warped head, sludge, etc. etc. can come from a blown head gasket being driven on.

The M52 is notorious for overheating and blowing the gasket though...
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #23
kingkassis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
Nope Jared, that's impossible. I am the only driver, and the car hasn't been to any shop in over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
I know this is far fetched but are you the only driver of the car? If ot any chance someone else just so happened to put oil in the radiator instead of coolant. Yes I know this is far fetched, but I have read of more stupid events happening on this forum before.

And like tyler said above I would try reflushing it maybe a couple times with Distilled water (Not a Garden Hose)

Jared
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
kingkassis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
Here is a couple of pics of the dipstick and the oil cap. Do you see anything unusual there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil3.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	187072   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil2.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	187073   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil1.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	187074  
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #25
mikemartin9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Saugus, CA
Posts: 155
My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergeek
bad news, man...that's engine oil getting into the coolant. you have either a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head. $$$$ to fix.
that is indeed a sign if a blown head gasket
mikemartin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #26
Bring Me Women
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 119
My Ride: 328i
Your oil appears very normal....I do not think that your head gasket is blown.

A. You did not overheat the engine
B. The coolant was fine just before the addition of the aftermarket coolant
C. Coolant turned to sludge after the addition of aftermarket sludge

You need to flush your cooling system very well...this includes removal of the block drain plug, res plug, rad plug.
Bring Me Women is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #27
rooneym
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: College Station, TX Gig'em Aggies!
Posts: 477
My Ride: 2001 E46 325I
Send a message via AIM to rooneym
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Me Women
Your oil appears very normal....I do not think that your head gasket is blown.

A. You did not overheat the engine
B. The coolant was fine just before the addition of the aftermarket coolant
C. Coolant turned to sludge after the addition of aftermarket sludge

You need to flush your cooling system very well...this includes removal of the block drain plug, res plug, rad plug.
+1

I would have a COMPLETE coolant flush (pressurzied and all that good stuff). You might have to do this a few times to get rid of all the old coolant, but it's worth it.

Also, your oil looks fine, so your head gasket is probably OK. Just start off with a few good coolant flushes (with OEM anti-freeze), and see what happends. Good Luck,

-Mike
rooneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #28
jlboygenius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: uh
Posts: 134
My Ride: a car
Yes, your oil looks good. I've had a car with a blown headgasket, the oil and the coolant both looked like chocolate milk.
jlboygenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:43 PM   #29
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,791
My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
The reason I think it could just be a reaction between the coolants is that GM's (I beliebe dexcool) is an orange/redish colored coolant, and when mixed with pretty much anything else, it solidifies into a pudding/jelly consistancy. That is what it looks like in your radiator there. What specifically did you use to top it off (if you can remember). Someone else might know more about the chemical formulations/reactions between the coolants than me.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #30
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,866
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Just have it flushed and refilled. Don't go and schedule a headgasket repair just yet, save yourself $1000s.
Have your cooling system pressure checked and if you really think there is a problem afterwards. If you had blown your headgasket, you would have engine problems and throwing CEL codes, not to mention your power would be gone. A simple way would be to do a compression check, view your spark plugs at the least and/or add the system check dye that shows up when oil/coolant get mixed. But that does not look to me like blown headgasket mixing oil to coolant. But as mentioned, the other signs are coolant in your oil, and the usual misty white steamy-sweet exhaust.
BUT..if that were the headgasket, you would cause more damage to the engine if it overheats. So without doing the other checks, I could not say for certain. But given the info already done, it does not appear that is the case.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #31
kingkassis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
I am embarrassed to show you this, but this is the coolant that i used to top off. I don't know what got into me that day, I am typically the type of guy that never buys anything that is not oem. The stuff i used as you can see in the cup has this greenish color to it. it is definitly not the BMW blue stuff. The container does not have chemical composition listed.

and yea i know this stuff looks like bought it from Chinatown or something....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign
The reason I think it could just be a reaction between the coolants is that GM's (I beliebe dexcool) is an orange/redish colored coolant, and when mixed with pretty much anything else, it solidifies into a pudding/jelly consistancy. That is what it looks like in your radiator there. What specifically did you use to top it off (if you can remember). Someone else might know more about the chemical formulations/reactions between the coolants than me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolantmix1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	187114   Click image for larger version

Name:	coolantmix2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	187115   Click image for larger version

Name:	coolantmix3.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	187116  

Last edited by kingkassis; 07-09-2006 at 06:56 PM.
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #32
kingkassis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
That is a very good point. Aside from the low coolant warning light, I did not have anything come on.

I am now thinking i should just schedule with the dealer a coolant flush service and not mention anything to them and see what they come back with.

Also you said "add the system check dye that shows up when oil/coolant get mixed" What or how do i do that? Can you elaborate on that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
Just have it flushed and refilled. Don't go and schedule a headgasket repair just yet, save yourself $1000s.
Have your cooling system pressure checked and if you really think there is a problem afterwards. If you had blown your headgasket, you would have engine problems and throwing CEL codes, not to mention your power would be gone. A simple way would be to do a compression check, view your spark plugs at the least and/or add the system check dye that shows up when oil/coolant get mixed. But that does not look to me like blown headgasket mixing oil to coolant. But as mentioned, the other signs are coolant in your oil, and the usual misty white steamy-sweet exhaust.
BUT..if that were the headgasket, you would cause more damage to the engine if it overheats. So without doing the other checks, I could not say for certain. But given the info already done, it does not appear that is the case.
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #33
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 152
My Ride: 330i M Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkassis
I am embarrassed to show you this, but this is the coolant that i used to top off. I don't know what got into me that day, I am typically the type of guy that never buys anything that is not oem. The stuff i used as you can see in the cup has this greenish color to it. it is definitly not the BMW blue stuff. The container does not have chemical composition listed.

and yea i know this stuff looks like bought it from Chinatown or something....
If you do end up buying a spare bottle of the BMW antifreeze, maybe as an experiment in a separate cup, mix both the BMW antifreeze and the one you used together and mix it up a bit. See if it reproduces that same nasty foamy mess. If it does, that may serve as an eye opener for us so that we know in the future that sometimes different antifreeze may cause these problems.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #34
kingkassis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 55
My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
It's a good idea, but I doubt you can get the same reaction by simply mixing the stuff. There are all kinds of stuff inside the radiator system that could act as a catalyst. But it is worth a try i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
If you do end up buying a spare bottle of the BMW antifreeze, maybe as an experiment in a separate cup, mix both the BMW antifreeze and the one you used together and mix it up a bit. See if it reproduces that same nasty foamy mess. If it does, that may serve as an eye opener for us so that we know in the future that sometimes different antifreeze may cause these problems.
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #35
Split
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 504
My Ride: 2005 Lexus IS300
Send a message via ICQ to Split Send a message via MSN to Split Send a message via Yahoo to Split
maybe try sealing it too to create a similar environment to your coolant system.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #36
Bring Me Women
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 119
My Ride: 328i
What is the verdict?

I still believe that I am correct on the diagnosis!
Bring Me Women is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #37
RS330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2001 330ci 5sp
I would love to hear the verdict as well.
RS330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #38
xmltok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,205
My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
was the foam very slippery?
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 AM   #39
Qshio3000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hoosierland
Posts: 362
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxNay
Sorry to say, but that is a classic sign of a blown head gasket. When a leak develops in the head gasket it can cause one or many different problems incluing: it may allow engine oil into your coolant. It may also allow coolant into your crankcase oil. Or it can allow coolant into your exhaust system (appears as white exhaust smoke and smells sweet like coolant). You say your checked your oil level and it looked low. That is because your oil is being drawn into the cooling system. You should only drive this car in to get the head gasket replaced. Do not keep driving it until you get it fixed or you could cause much more damage.
Werd. It's likely many or all of the above (plus the possibilty of a bent head). Get towed to a good indy if you're out of warranty. GL
Qshio3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #40
Beefweasal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Space Coast
Posts: 66
My Ride: '08 335i Coupe
It almost looks like you mixed Dexcool and normal antifreeze, but from the picture you posted you didnt.
Beefweasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use