E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #1
ashiyer

My Ride: bmw 318i
Multifunctional steering wheel does not work

hi there,

i purchased a multifunctional steerign wheel. i was able to fit it. but now i see that the lights on the buttons does not come and nor does any of the buttons work. can anyone help.
ashiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
ashiyer

help

can anyone help, i have a e46 98 model and the multifunctional steering wheel buttonsdont work nor does the lights on thebutton light up. i have gone through the retrofit kit. i wanted to know if anything else i need to do.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
bimmer07
Banned

My Ride: //////////M
Send a message via AIM to bimmer07
it doesnt look like you are getting much help here put it in the general forum as well and some people will respond.
bimmer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
camarochevy1970

My Ride: 325ci
Don't you need a snap ring to make everything work?
camarochevy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Nope no slip ring needed just a wiring harness that consists of 3 wires basically. You can make the harness yourself.

Here is the PDF file:

Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit PDF

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
ashiyer

retrofit kit

thanks jared,

i have gone throught the retrofit instructions manual. I was wondering will the retrofit kit ( 3 set of wires) work on a 98 model e46 ( because 98 model i beleive is one of the first version of the e46) and also could you suggest any place i can buy the retrofit kit from.

also as an alternative to buying the kit i can buy three wires as you suggested and the i will need sockets right, can you suggest any place i can buy the sockets.

any help you could give on the above.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
gu4800

My Ride: 2003 318i Sedan
I bought the kit from BMW - only costs $60 and comes with everything you need including all the PROPER pins, joiners, etc.

However, I'm fairly sure your model has a throttle cable - right? If so, you are in trouble because the throttle on the later cars is "drive by wire" and the cruise control is electronic and operated via the ECU. Did your car have cruise control before you bought the wheel?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the original E46 was throttle cable.

Last edited by gu4800; 07-14-2006 at 06:36 AM.
gu4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
ashiyer

when i bought the car there was no cruise control. so i dont know whether the car is "drive by wire" or not. will the lights on the buttons and the buttons for the radio work at least even if the cruise control dosent work when i fit the retrofit kit??

In here australia the bmw dealers do not have the retrofit kit. can you suggest any bmw in there where i can order it.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
ashiyer

retrofit kit

sorry , i didnt realise you are also registered in australia, can you let me know in which bmw you purchased the kit so that i can call them and order one.

are you sure its $60 because i called bmw in sydney and he didnt know which part i was talking about and quoted some $330 and said that is the kit. i am sure he was confused.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
ashiyer

retrofit kit

sorry , i didnt realise you are also registered in australia, can you let me know in which bmw you purchased the kit so that i can call them and order one.

are you sure its $60 because i called bmw in sydney and he didnt know which part i was talking about and quoted some $330 and said that is the kit. i am sure he was confused.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:12 AM   #11
gu4800

My Ride: 2003 318i Sedan
The $330 will be for the whole slip ring - which you won't need. The price of the part is $60 trade and around $80 retail. Any decent BMW dealer should be able to help you. But realisticly, I don't think it will work on your car. KEEP READING WHY.

As far as the stereo and lights working on the wheel, I wouldn't know. Sorry. The retrofit kit is for 2000 on (that's probably when the changed the wheel style). Also, you have a completely different engine - M43 as opposed to N42.

Looking at this (which is for 12/98 - to make sure I covered your 98 model) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...43&hg=66&fg=20 it would appear that you have a throttle cable, as the cruise control is mechanically operated. The picture is for the retrofit kit for cruise control.

Cruise on cars with a throttle cable will have the standard vacuum/diaphragm (mechanical - moving parts) operated cruise control (as per above) as they actually operate the cable/throttle. The beauty of "drive by wire" is that the throttle, and therefore the cruise, is electronically controlled - one wire from the wheel retrofit to the ECU. The "retrofit" kit for cruise control on "drive by wire" cars is simply the Multi Function wheel and the wiring harness - no actual moving parts.

I would start looking here for some ideas:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...31&hg=32&fg=95

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it will work for you.
gu4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #12
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
Won't work for 318i, but will work for 323i, though they are the same year or production.
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
ashiyer

ok, well i guess cruise control unfortunately cannot be fixed. can you suggest any bmw dealer, possibly the place you purchased it from so the delaler know what i am talking about. i will try fixing, just to give it a try.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #14
brettnosse

My Ride: mini & 318i E46
So my Girlfriends E46 should work. Complianced May 01. I am looking at a wheel on Ebay what else would I need to do to make it work???

or could I just buy the buttons??
Cheers Brett

Last edited by brettnosse; 08-30-2006 at 07:32 AM.
brettnosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #15
silver330ciman

My Ride: TiAg 330CI TS1
I had a similar issue with mine. The M3 steering wheel buttons didn't work on my 330ci, and I just ended up swapping out the button circuitry part only and everything worked again. M3 and my sport package steering wheel basically have the same button location. Is the shape and location of the buttons different for you?
silver330ciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #16
Abner78

My Ride: 318i
Hi... I'd like to understand if, on a 318i BEFORE 06/00, the other buttons for the radio and the airbag will still work. I don't care about cruise control, which is impossible...
Abner78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #17
323isaigon

My Ride: 323i
Anyone has any luck on looking for wiring harness of this cruise control and multi functional steering wheel? My case is similar...installed mf steering wheel but no light and cruise control is not working. The instruction posted on this thread is clear but missing part number for harness or pin connector. Please help.....Thanks
323isaigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Marten

My Ride: 323i Convertible -00
part no: 61120016012 for cable kit about 18$ at bmw
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #19
phelix

My Ride: 328i
I don't think the cruise control will work on a 318i just by adding the MF wheel. Go to www.realoem.com with the last 7 characters of your chassis number and find the parts page that lists the throttle valve. I'm almost certain that you'll see two different ones: one for cars with cruise and one for cars without. On the 6 cylinder gas engined cars the MF upgrade seems to work every time.
phelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
alptan

My Ride: 320i
phelix,

are you saying that 6 cylinder car could actually control the cruise control with the MF upgrade? even without a MF steering before upgrade?
alptan is offline   Reply With Quote