E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
topazblu323

My Ride: 323ci
Send a message via AIM to topazblu323
What do you think of these foglights?

My fog lights crack so I'm in the market for new ones. What do you guys think of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...3985QQtcZphoto
topazblu323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
They look pretty cool, definately a heck of a lot cheaper than OEM. So I take it you have an MTech or M3 bumper on your car.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Love em, and they have proper cutoffs also so make sure to adjust them correctly.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
I have 'em, they're great. Cheap, fit great, bright, great cutoff. They're good lights.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
^ I'm on their bandwagon.
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
wish i could get those

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
topazblu323

So you guys think i should buy these? They are definitely better looking then the stock oem ones. The only thing is does the ring from the oem ones fit these. And are they plug and play?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
looks good!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
PYRITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazblu323
So you guys think i should buy these? They are definitely better looking then the stock oem ones. The only thing is does the ring from the oem ones fit these. And are they plug and play?

Yep, if you have the mtech bumper, the ring will fit perfect.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
Old 05-30-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
q0192837465

My Ride: 99.4 A4, 03 330xi
Send a message via ICQ to q0192837465
cool, i guess it's tme to get these since my fogs r really scratched up.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:00 AM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Interesting, so if these are ellipsoid lamps and you guys say it has a cut-off, are these a foglamp short spread light pattern? Or are these more a driving light pattern? I'd like to get something closer to a driving lamp pattern? Also, when a bulb is behind the projector/ellipsoid lamp, it usually changes the spectrum of how the lamp looks when looking at it(but not change the color thrown out by it). Is this the same way? I kinda hope so because I have 8000K HID fogs and don't like the blue hue of the lamp reflector, but I love the white light it puts down.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

bump
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
topazblu323

Hey alex323ci im about to get the m-tech II rear bumper. Right now I have stock with a hamann add on. You think it's going to be much higher then what it is now? I love the way your car looks, so clean. I'm also going with the m-tech side skirts. Those are going to be much higher then my hamann ones. But I don't mind. I'll let you know how the fogs are once i get them in.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Are the bulbs on those 9006 still? wondering how my HID fogs would look in a projector vs in a a halogen projector...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
PYRITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
Are the bulbs on those 9006 still? wondering how my HID fogs would look in a projector vs in a a halogen projector...

NO, they are not, the ones for this housing say 9006 on some ebay listings and some sellers will tell you they are 9006 and fit stock bulbs but that is NOT correct, Otherside and myself have found them to be H3 BULBS. Also if you wish to use HID bulbs you will need to do some mods to keep the bulb in, the rear of the housing is SEALED so the cables dont feed in easilly, and they are built of metal, not plastic.

Here is an example of the pattern (cutoff), This was filmed on a slanted driveway so that you can easilly see the pattern etc, my lighting is meticulously adjusted inch by inch to be at the proper spec for headlight / foglight illumination. As you can see, there is no variation in color, both bulbs are ProLumen 3000k bulbs from Umnitza

Click here to see Video

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...

Last edited by PYRITE; 05-30-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazblu323
Hey alex323ci im about to get the m-tech II rear bumper. Right now I have stock with a hamann add on. You think it's going to be much higher then what it is now? I'll let you know how the fogs are once i get them in.
The m-tech isn't much(if any) lower than stock. thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE
NO, they are not, the ones for this housing say 9006 on some ebay listings and some sellers will tell you they are 9006 and fit stock bulbs but that is NOT correct, Otherside and myself have found them to be H3 BULBS. Also if you wish to use HID bulbs you will need to do some mods to keep the bulb in, the rear of the housing is SEALED so the cables dont feed in easilly, and they are built of metal, not plastic.
Wow, so these foglights aren't 9006 bulb style? If that is the case, then my HID kit won't work. I was looking forward to trying these out, but I'm going to have to make sure they have 9006, which is odd because if these are M-tech/M3 replacements, they would need to be 9006.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #17
PYRITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
The m-tech isn't much(if any) lower than stock. thanks for the kind words.

Wow, so these foglights aren't 9006 bulb style? If that is the case, then my HID kit won't work. I was looking forward to trying these out, but I'm going to have to make sure they have 9006, which is odd because if these are M-tech/M3 replacements, they would need to be 9006.
No, the bulb type doesn't NEED to be anything to fit in a housing that fits into the bumper, they are plug and play to your harness with the wires that are coming from the back of the housing, however the bulb type is H3. They supply a set of H3 bulbs also.

This listing has the bulb type and you can see how the housing is sealed and the wires coming out of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05...spagenameZWDVW

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...

Last edited by PYRITE; 05-30-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE
No, the bulb type doesn't NEED to be anything to fit in a housing that fits into the bumper, they are plug and play to your harness with the wires that are coming from the back of the housing, however the bulb type is H3. They supply a set of H3 bulbs also.

This listing has the bulb type and you can see how the housing is sealed and the wires coming out of it.
Thanks for the link/picture, much apppreciated. It shows them much better now. As for them being replacement lamps, they aren't truley an M3/Mtech foglamp replacement, but an integrated replacement unit. As BMW never made the H3 pigtail bulb for the E46 M3/Mtech. That's was my point. Replacement to me means I can use the original bulb style and not need to touch any wiring to connect to other wires. I don't see any vent tube and trying to fit the larger/longer 9006 bulb in there at the correct spot/distance looks like it might be very difficult(if even possible)?? What do you think having been around them first hand? Putting a bulb in the incorrect position in an ellipsoid lamp causes poor lighting. They do look very interesting.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #19
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
let me ask this again.... if you have a 9006 wiring harness, this is plug and play? please confirm. thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #20
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
ok I have these as well...let me explain...if you have an HID kit for your 9006 housings all you need to do is change the bulbs to H3...and foget about putting the backing on the projector housing, it is unorthodox and you have to rig it, but who cares, I love them so much more than stock I'll never go back...

I basically have glued the bulbs in by krazygluing the plastic to the metal...then using a rubber piece usually supplied with bulbs to keep the water out....zip tie that part and im done....

its reversible as Ive changed the bulbs after the fact.... the housing IS a direct replacement to your full oem housing...fits perfectly fine

Good luck
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote