E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
jrcook320

My Ride: E21 320i, E46 323i
Aftermarket Cruise Control

Hi guys, I'm new here and am wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm planning on installing cruise on my wife's 323i since she drives on the highway all the time. Oem cruise isn't going to be practical since the parts alone will cost around $1k, so aftermarket it is. I am wondering if anyone has done this since I can't find any info on it online.

Even if no one has done it, I think I'll be able to get a universal kit to work as long as I can get a speed signal somewere, so where is the speed sensor pickup, I assume on the differential cover?

Also, does anyone have the e46 bentley manual in pdf form? I have it for the E36 but can't find it for the E46.
jrcook320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Yeah. You can find the Bentley on amazon.com. Just buy the damn book. It's great.

I've never heard of universal cruise control kits. Got any links?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
What $1000?

Get triangle or square multifunctional steering wheel with airbag + three wires and retrofit it. I doubt it's gonna be more then $300.

Last edited by Asterisk*; 07-23-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Yea just find a square or triangluar airbag w/buttons (Whichever steering wheel your wifes car is equipped with) and do your own wiring. The harness consists of only 3 wires and it will add the radio station/volume buttons as well. Wouldn't be anymore than like $300 like Asterik said.

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
yogo_jonzo

My Ride: 99 323i Orient Blue
Heck if you want I should be taking my square steering wheel and airbag off next week (Got an M3 wheel/airbag). Ill sell you my wheel with the radio/cruise control buttons on it for 250 with the airbag shipped.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
We Had A Toyota Matrix That Was Fitted With A Aftermarket Cruise Control....brand New 06 Car Now Has Nothing But Problems After The Cruise Control Was Installed....i Wouldnt Attempt Such A Task On A Car....espeicialy If Not On My Car...wouldnt Want Someone Getting Hurt Or Even Worse Killed Cuase Of Me.
Custom3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
piercej

My Ride: 330i
I have a wheel w/airbag and controls on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT
piercej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercej
I have a wheel w/airbag and controls on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

will just having the cruise control button on the steering wheel give you cruise control on the car??? I imagine somehting else is needed
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
will just having the cruise control button on the steering wheel give you cruise control on the car??? I imagine somehting else is needed
The 323 is drive by cable, aka you will need a servo to pull on a throttle cable for you. Its probably less of a nightmare than drive by wire would be, but adding the steering wheel is only 10% of the work.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #10
jrcook320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign
The 323 is drive by cable, aka you will need a servo to pull on a throttle cable for you. Its probably less of a nightmare than drive by wire would be, but adding the steering wheel is only 10% of the work.
Which is exactly what my problem is. If only I had drive by wire I'd just get the wheel and be done with it.

$250 for the wheel seems like a great price, but then I'd need all the hardware as well. So far, I haven't even been able to find the cruise servo part number (I've checked realoem.com) and I have no idea if the car is prewired for it. If I could find the parts used and knew I could just bolt on and plug in the factory parts, I would definately go with the OEM cruise.

Can anyone with a '99-'00 post pics of the cruise servo? I'll at least be able to look and see if I'm prewired if I know where it should be mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander FAT
I've never heard of universal cruise control kits. Got any links?
If I go aftermarket I'll probably go with Rostra, I like the clean looking control knob on the right The only problem is, so far no company I've looked at has install instructions for the E46. Everything should be straight forward as long as I can locate a vehicle speed signal wire.

Cruise Control Info

By the way, I called the dealer a few months back about the retrofit "kit", and they told me it's NLA.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:40 AM   #11
jrcook320

How come I can find the part numbers for the E46 318i but not the 323i??

realoem
Old 07-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #12
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcook320

realoem

because you need to look in the "Europe" section to find all the retrofits. It seems like 95% of the retrofit kits are not released to the US. That being said, you can go to any parts department, and order them. Use your CCA and get 15% off at most dealers, then have an indy shop install it. The dealer should be able to prnt of the instructions for you..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=66&fg=95
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
jrcook320

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
because you need to look in the "Europe" section to find all the retrofits. It seems like 95% of the retrofit kits are not released to the US. That being said, you can go to any parts department, and order them. Use your CCA and get 15% off at most dealers, then have an indy shop install it. The dealer should be able to prnt of the instructions for you..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=66&fg=95
That's the same thing available on the US model. It's not showing the actual cruise control hardware, just the multi wheel.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
yogo_jonzo

My Ride: 99 323i Orient Blue
I tried doing a search for you and could not find the parts.

Even my Bentley only shows the Steering wheel with the buttons and the switch that connects to the clutch pedal to disengage the cruise when its on.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
jrcook320

So can I just buy the wheel? That's too easy on a drive by cable car, unless there is a serve mounted directly to the throttle body(which I find hard to believe).
Old 07-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #16
Asterisk*
Banned User

My Ride: gives me blue balls
Send a message via MSN to Asterisk*
Quote:

realoem
Because 318i has 1.8l engine and cruise control is a mechanical part with cable and all. 323i has 2.5l engine and cruise control is governed by ECU with buttons on steering wheel. Therefore you can not retrofit MFSW onto 318i and don't need to retrofit cruise control onto 323i (only MFSW). MFSW - multi functional steering wheel.
Asterisk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #17
Ivegotissues666

No one seems to want to listen to what I have to say anyways.

Here is the retrofit pdf file hosted by yours truly:

http://www.jdmotorwerkes.com/BMW%20R...DFS/3543en.pdf

All the harness is, is 3 wires:

2 - of the wires connect from this 10 pin connector on the back of the slip ring. They tap into 2 different wires at the LCM's harness if I remember correctly. (These are for Radio/volume and lighting of the button controls)

1 - wire connect from the same 10 pin connector at the back of the slip ring to the ECU box in the engine bay to I beleive it what a 54 pin connector, one of the pins is vacant and that is the cruise control pinout.

The slip ring 10 pin connector are pins 8, 9, and 10 I just can't recall off hand which are which for the wires I listed above. I've done this retrofit so if you have any questions just let me know.

Jared
Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
jrcook320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666
No one seems to want to listen to what I have to say anyways.

Here is the retrofit pdf file hosted by yours truly:

http://www.jdmotorwerkes.com/BMW%20R...DFS/3543en.pdf

All the harness is, is 3 wires:

2 - of the wires connect from this 10 pin connector on the back of the slip ring. They tap into 2 different wires at the LCM's harness if I remember correctly. (These are for Radio/volume and lighting of the button controls)

1 - wire connect from the same 10 pin connector at the back of the slip ring to the ECU box in the engine bay to I beleive it what a 54 pin connector, one of the pins is vacant and that is the cruise control pinout.

The slip ring 10 pin connector are pins 8, 9, and 10 I just can't recall off hand which are which for the wires I listed above. I've done this retrofit so if you have any questions just let me know.

Jared
I'm listening!! so, you have a 2000 323i, that didn't have factory cruise and is NOT drive by wire (correct?) and all you did is the MFSW and you have working cruise??? If so, that would explain why I can't find any part numbers for a servo, but I wonder, what is holding the throttle open when the cruise is engaged? I searched the archives and saw your post, but I assumed that you already had the MFSW (and cruise) but just swapped it out for the heated version. If you tell me this works, I'll buy the wheel on ebay right now.

I have the retrofit .pdf, but the hangup that has been keeping me from getting the MFSW is not knowing if cruise will work afterward.

Last edited by jrcook320; 07-24-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #19
jrcook320

I have a few more questions. The slip ring doesn't need to be replaced to install the MFSW, all I need is to make a wiring harness? But if I wanted to upgrade to the OBC fuction turn signal stalk, then I would need to upgrade the slip ring for that to work?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #20
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
I'm listening!! so, you have a 2000 323i, that didn't have factory cruise and is NOT drive by wire (correct?) and all you did is the MFSW and you have working cruise??? If so, that would explain why I can't find any part numbers for a servo, but I wonder, what is holding the throttle open when the cruise is engaged? I searched the archives and saw your post, but I assumed that you already had the MFSW (and cruise) but just swapped it out for the heated version. If you tell me this works, I'll buy the wheel on ebay right now.

I have the retrofit .pdf, but the hangup that has been keeping me from getting the MFSW is not knowing if cruise will work afterward.
Correct! My build date was 03/2000 and drive by wire wasn't introduced until 2001

Yeah I should have done a write up on it, actually naybe I will while my car is still temporarily out of commission.

It's actually really simple and was the first retrofit/mod I did.

Jared