E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
pakman3

My Ride: piece
fasting and lifting

when to lift before or after?
pakman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
um

they don't go together...why u fasting?

I eat before I lift for energy, and i eat afterwards to replenish my body

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bimM3r
when to lift before or after?
Umm.... never

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
pakman3

because in about ~2 months i have to fast its part of religion. but i dont want to get weak. its for 30days. i can eat before sunrise and after sun set.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
bimmerchop

When you fast, your body becomes catabolic, which in turn burns muscle for energy. I suggest you just take that month off from excercising. You'll lose some strength, but nothing you can't gain back once you get into your normal routine again since your muscle has memory.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
Old 07-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
pakman3

i have gained most muscle mass yet this summer. i dont want to lose it last year i lost soo much mass. i dont want to do nothign for 30days thats going to suck.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Mmm... I'm glad fasting isn't a very widely practiced part of my religion.

Let's say you can't eat from 6am to 6pm. I would stuff my face at the second the sun goes down and hit the gym two hours later. There are theories about when to best time this stuff, but I like to stick to a whole food meal 2 hours before lifting. Immediately before going to lift, take in 20g of whey. Take your protein shake right after lifting and have a massive meal about an hour or so after that.

I would also get up 30 mins before sunrise and binge.

Would BCAAs be considered cheating? I mean, I don't want Allah to get mad at you, but they're not really food... You can have only water, right?
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
amgdoc

My Ride: asdf
Every time you sleep, you are fasting. Now during the month you will be fasting, you are pretty much fasting twice. Change your schedule to only fast 'one' time during the 24 hrs.

My suggestion: Before beginning your fast, have lots of protein. When you are breaking your fast, have some carbs/proteins (do not pig out) and go work out. Then, eat small, balanced meals proportions till you have to sleep. Do not pig out.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
2005_330xi_BMW

My Ride: 330xi
eat as MUCH as you can before sunrise and AS MUCH as you can after sunset... and become VERY lethargic during the day. Use this time to restore your joints and muscle, get lots of protein and carbs, your body will utilize the fat you already have. Don't use this fasting as a chance to 'get ripped' because you won't have the proper setup to maintain muscle. You could actually gain weight from this if you did it right.
2005_330xi_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
lol

i come for a strict devout catholic family and we are supposed to fast/eat less on Good friday, Ash Wed and every friday in lent.

I said screw that.....I figured God appreciated the time and discpline I have in having a healthy body and fasting is not a proper way of getting there.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
pakman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325
Would BCAAs be considered cheating? I mean, I don't want Allah to get mad at you, but they're not really food... You can have only water, right?
no water no nothing. i was thinking of waking up like you guys said and take whey but should i take vitamins before or after fast? so what some of you guys are sayin that just take off for 30days but load up on lots of protein/carbs?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bimM3r
no water no nothing. i was thinking of waking up like you guys said and take whey but should i take vitamins before or after fast? so what some of you guys are sayin that just take off for 30days but load up on lots of protein/carbs?
I wouldn't stop lifting for the 30 days.

I would take the vitamins and BCAAs with the AM meal before sunrise so they can absorb into the body through the fast. Dang, I thought you were allowed to have water during the day. Either I remembered wrong or my friend was a cheater.
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
bimmerchop

Imo, take the 30 days off like I mentioned, and just adjust your diet for when you do eat. You're much better off sacrificing some strength then getting it all back quick, than burning away muscle for energy. 30 days off isn't going to kill you, my .02 cents.

euro.techniks

Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
30 days off from lifting! i don't think i'm going to be able to stay out of the gym for that long. t's almost that time...
sL
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
CAOSyAMOR

My Ride: 1) 2002 E46 2)///M3
bodybuilders cutting up, boxers/wrestlers cutting weight, etc. etc. it can be done.. its not recommended.. ease back if you must fast AND exercise. Limit your workouts to 1/2 and hour, lighter weight.. cut back on cardio b/c your body will be in a negative nitrogen balance as it is (like bimmerchop said) and you most definitely will lose mass regardless. Don't give it up entirely. Go every other day if you must. You will be at increased risk for injury/illness during this time so again, just take it easy w/e u do!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
3onDubs

My Ride: no
I fast every year as well and i never stop lifting....and i've actually increased in size last year when i was lifting and fasting.

It could be my body type, but generally, everyone that i know that lifts and fasts still lifts, but they wait until the evening.

To lift, you need carbs before and protein after. After iftar, go to the gym and follow it up with a protein shake. Before you sleep, make sure to eat again and eat a healthy wholesome meal for sahoor. You will have your 3 daily meals that way and any muscle loss will be minimal....strangely enough, i tend to gain weight.

3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #17
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
I dont want to call your religion stupid or be offensive, but not eating for 12 hours is stupid, unhealthy, and NO you cant do anything to not lose strenght. Also, binging before fasting for 12 hours and binging again can cause your body fat% to increase. Are you parents forcing this upon you??? b/c i would just sneak out and get food or eat alone etc,...... post back and then ill try to help [vent/] BUT, sreiously man, dont take this offensive i am strictly talking about DIET and LIFTING and what i know about those two things and how they go together....

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #18
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
i hate this time of year...i feel so awkward eating my bagel on the subway because all of muslim ppl look at me like i'm taunting them....i feel so bad

please notify me when this thing starts for you guys so i can start eating before i leave the home or at work

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
..and it has begun