E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
Angel Eyes: LED vs. CCFL (which do you have and why)

So basically I know I should be getting some Umnitza angel eyes (as I have been told time and time again). But as a full time student, and working only part time in between starting 2 businesses, I seem to be low on money. I have found some other angel eye kits online for EXTREMELY cheap.

CCFL (Cold Cathode Florescent Light) seem to claim they are the brightest kind of angel eyes. Yet, the LED angel eyes don't really look bad on the car and for the price, I don't know if I should just got for them now. Also keep in mind I DON'T have projectors yet and the LED setup says it's made specifically for E46 pre-facelift non projector cars.

Any feed back would be awesome!

Last edited by islanq; 08-02-2006 at 11:57 AM.
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
win-by-miles
It really was a Rocky story

My Ride: Refer to sig
i have the LED ones and they look fine when its dark

cant see them at all during the day
win-by-miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
islanq

So basically if I want that halo daytime look I need to go with CCFL huh?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
win-by-miles
It really was a Rocky story

My Ride: Refer to sig
yeah
win-by-miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
islanq

Anyone else have insight??
Old 08-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
Ayamana

My Ride: 323ci
Send a message via AIM to Ayamana
how do i know if i have projector headlights

Found these on Ebay, member here has them and likes them so if i have non-projectors im buying them right now. They are ccfl too
Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
mfanatic325

My Ride: Z4MC, 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
you seriously need to go with the CCFL...LED's DO NOT show well during the day at all...u might as well not get them if you're considering LED type angel eyes...I'm a full time student also...but I was still able to pay for them? save a little? starve a couple meals? =D you'll be fine! haha otherwise, save up for your projectors first, and THEN get the angel eyes...since there's the minor issue with halo rubbing with the aut-leveling xenons...I didn't have any problems with the ones I got, but...u can never be too safe g'luck
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

mfanatic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
mfanatic325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayamana
how do i know if i have projector headlights

Found these on Ebay, member here has them and likes them so if i have non-projectors im buying them right now. They are ccfl too
projectors are these clear round ball things on the outter circles of your light...if that makes any sense...so just look at your outter lights (not the turn signals, but the round light just before the turn signals) and if there's a odd-loooking half ball buldging out, then you have projectors...but that doesn't mean you have xenons necessarily...for instance, facelift (2004+ model years) coupes ALL came with projectors, but not all had xenon...and for those that didn't have the xenon option, they still need to get inverter or ballast in order to tap in safe power for those HID xenon bulbs (which are like $100+ for each pair of bulbs)
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

Old 08-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
Ayamana

i went and looked... all i see on the outer light is a cone kinda.. then the bubble thats teh light with xenon written on one side and kind of like design around the rest of it like squares..
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
mfanatic325

wtf are you talking about o_o? LOL...ok, here is what a projector looks like...
if you have that, then you MIGHT have xenons...you're only 50% done if you have this projector...because, like I said, you may not necessarily have HID Xenon BULBS...and in that case, you'll need to buy a HID kit and a pair of xenon bulbs in order to have the full setup...get it?
edit: on a second note, after looking at your sig, it seems to me like you DO have the projectors...but still...good luck with having the full setup!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
Cal
Still a fanatic...

My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
Ayamana,

If your car's headlights are BONE STOCK, you have xenons, unless someone removed your BMW OEM xenons from them. For YOUR car, having the Xenon package means you get projector headlights. Otherwise, you wouldn't get projectors.

Hopefully, those are stock headlights and not aftermarket p46s.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
Ayamana

oh oh oh! Thank you so much guys! They are indeed stock xenon projectors, both Cal and Mfanatic i appreciate your help.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #13
mfanatic325

um, but like I said...make sure u have xenon bulbs...if you don't, then you hafta get the HID retrofit kit...

Old 08-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #14
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
From your sig, you have factory xenons and I assume 4300k bulbs (factory color temperature). Like I said, you can purchase our D2S upgrade bulbs so that they will perfectly match the Predator Chromium angel eyes.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
mfanatic325

jlevi FTMFW!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
heyimtommy

My Ride: 05 G35 Coupe
i have dde titaniums i heard recent issuses with the titaniums in the past but i seemed to be very pleased with the outcome of how they looked. i highly do not recoment the LEDS unless you can not afford the other ones but i recomend the CCFL ones or predator chromiums check the site sponsors they always know what works really well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

xenons and 4k fogs
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
heyimtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #17
Topazine

My Ride: '02 330i
Question

mfanatic325: what minor issue are you talking about with the angel eye halos rubbing with the aut-leveling xenons? I have the factory xenons on my car.

Nick@Jlevi: Before you reccomended to me the 6000K halos, but will they look off w/ the factory xenons?

Thanks for the imput.

-TheBeerAssassin
Topazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
Why does this come up everyday? There has to be at least 1000 threads on angel eyes on this board.

auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
Why does this come up everyday? There has to be at least 1000 threads on angel eyes on this board.
Try being on this site for 4 years.

Anyway, thank you Nick for clearing things up for everyone this thread was getting painful to read... plus I don't have to type as much.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #20
Cal
Still a fanatic...

My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
islanq,

CCFL are brighter and also pretty cheap, so you can go with those. The ebay ones that one of the posters posted will work for your car (can't beat the $50-$60 price):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...13473202QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...16440619QQrdZ1
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote