E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #21
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I do recommend the 6000k, it provides the most crisp white light output and looks the cleanest of all color temperatures.

They will be a bit whiter than your factory xenons but I highly recommend you go with this setup as it is our most popular and provides the cleanest color.

You can upgrade your factory xenon bulbs with our 6000k D2S bulbs for a full and perfectly matching setup.

With that said, the 6000k Chromiums will not look bad with your 4300k factory bulbs.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #22
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
islanq,

CCFL are brighter and also pretty cheap, so you can go with those. The ebay ones that one of the posters posted will work for your car (can't beat the $50-$60 price):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...13473202QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...16440619QQrdZ1
Those are another option, however realize those do not include a full wiring harness with free built in remote kit (meaning you will have to do your own custom wiring), no lifetime warranty, no install guide, no email/technical support, no support in the future should anything go wrong with the product, no guarantee on quality or fitment etc...

In any case, if those qualities are not important to you, ebay is definitely a way to go.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #23
mfanatic325

My Ride: Z4MC, 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerAssassin
mfanatic325: what minor issue are you talking about with the angel eye halos rubbing with the aut-leveling xenons? I have the factory xenons on my car.

Nick@Jlevi: Before you reccomended to me the 6000K halos, but will they look off w/ the factory xenons?

Thanks for the imput.

-TheBeerAssassin
since auto-leveling xenons have the up-and down motion when you have your key in ignition position 2 and above, sometimes it pushes the halos against the headlight housing, causing it to crack, etc...but the recent angel eyes kits I believe have catered to that problem...for instance, the ones I have never had that cracking problem...
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

mfanatic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #24
kev205

My Ride: 1998 E46 318i
anybody from Australia?
i want to fix the lights all 6000k and also i have a problem with the angel eyes as well
the left hand side does not come on
any suggession will be helpful
kev205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #25
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq
So basically if I want that halo daytime look I need to go with CCFL huh?
You can barely see these at day either, streaming light etc. on them will stop them from being seen.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 AM   #26
mfanatic325

they're MUCH better than LEDs though...at least you can see the CCFL's... LED angel eyes are just
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #27
Cal
Still a fanatic...

My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW
Those are another option, however realize those do not include a full wiring harness with free built in remote kit (meaning you will have to do your own custom wiring), no lifetime warranty, no install guide, no email/technical support, no support in the future should anything go wrong with the product, no guarantee on quality or fitment etc...

In any case, if those qualities are not important to you, ebay is definitely a way to go.
I agree with some points, but these kits do come with install guides (any way, you can find TONS of DIY instructions for these online), they do recommend you email them with questions, and they do guarantee quality and fitment or your money back. Comparing costs, he can buy at least 4 sets of these that will outlast the car (and I highly doubt he will need anything remotely close to even 2-3 sets). I know many members that have them and they are extremely happy and don't have any problems with them.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #28
Cal
Still a fanatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
Try being on this site for 4 years.

Oh yeah, try 36 years!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #29
mfanatic325

LOL WTF? are you for real? AHAHA

Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 AM   #30
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
@ Cal

thanks for the link, I ended up winning those on ebay (I think I paid $58.02 shipped w/ insurance). Since I plan on gettin projectors and HID's within the next 6 months, I figured I would go w/ Umnitza then since I'd have more money laying around.

@ Nick@Jlevi SW

Thank you for the insight, I realize everything you talked about are important issues. I figure for the amount of time I'm going to use them and for the price I got them for I'd give em a whirl. Also doesn't Umnitza sell a wiring harness for angel eyes that you can buy? I'll call them tomorrow and find out. Don't worry buddy, this is only temp. Once I get more cash I'm doing the whole shabang, and doing it right, HID's, projectors, umnitza angel's.

PS. Judging from this pic do you guys think I really need a harness?

Last edited by islanq; 08-03-2006 at 02:57 AM.
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #31
jpdp

My Ride: 330Cic
Hey, that's the same kit that I used on my Xenons.
They work fine, but no support, good wiring instructions etc.

What I did was just remove the parking lights and just plug them into socket where the parking lights plugged in.

They are visible during the day, but you have to switch on your parking lights at all time.

'03 330Cic Sapphire Black / Natural Brown
- 19" Breyton Magics - Eibach Pro Sports - UUC SSK with DSSR - Angel Eyes - ZHP Leather Shifter - GONE, but not forgotten :(
-335 M-Sport Alpine White / Black / DCT - rix boost gauge - ProCeed - helix step inter cooler - AR down pipes - BMS Dual cone intake
jpdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #32
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Oh yeah, try 36 years!
You invented the internet?

OG status =
Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #33
mfanatic325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdp
Hey, that's the same kit that I used on my Xenons.
They work fine, but no support, good wiring instructions etc.

What I did was just remove the parking lights and just plug them into socket where the parking lights plugged in.

They are visible during the day, but you have to switch on your parking lights at all time.
hehe, yah, I know what kit he used too ^_^...

Old 08-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #34
Cal
Still a fanatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325
LOL WTF? are you for real? AHAHA
As Russ already mentioned, the earliest members of this board got a join date of 1969. This site obviously didn't exist back then, nor did the internet. It's just cool though to have that date there and have OG status.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #35
Cal
Still a fanatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
You invented the internet?

OG status =
A "noob mod" with 11,292+ posts and great contributions to the board =
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #36
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
@ Cal

thanks for the link, I ended up winning those on ebay (I think I paid $58.02 shipped w/ insurance). Since I plan on gettin projectors and HID's within the next 6 months, I figured I would go w/ Umnitza then since I'd have more money laying around.

@ Nick@Jlevi SW

Thank you for the insight, I realize everything you talked about are important issues. I figure for the amount of time I'm going to use them and for the price I got them for I'd give em a whirl. Also doesn't Umnitza sell a wiring harness for angel eyes that you can buy? I'll call them tomorrow and find out. Don't worry buddy, this is only temp. Once I get more cash I'm doing the whole shabang, and doing it right, HID's, projectors, umnitza angel's.

We can sell you the wiring harness as well but we can't 100% guarantee that the harness will work perfectly with that setup.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #37
Cal
Still a fanatic...

Quote:
@ Cal

islanq,

Forgot to reply to your post...

You're more than welcome...Seems like you paid a very good price for the kit. The kit is pretty much complete. Regarding the wiring harness question, you will only need it depending on how you want to hook up your angel eyes. The keyless remote wiring harness is basically "extended" wires that will allow you to hook up your angel eyes so that they turn on when you unlock your car using your keyless remote (just like your interior lights turn on when unlocking the car). Several vendors here (bimmerblvd, umnitza, modbargains, jlevi, etc) should sell them. They are about $10, or you can buy some wires yourself and hook them up. The harness will work with your kit (they are just wires with connectors).

The other two most popular ways to hook your angel eyes up are:
1) Connect them to your parking lights: This way, your angel eyes will only turn on when you turn on your parking lights (switch position 1) or when you turn on your headlights.

2) Connect them to your DRLs: If you currently have DRLs, you can unplug those and hook up your angel eyes to them instead. The angel eyes will replace the DRLs.

In summary, unless you want your angel eyes to light up with your remote keyless, you don't need the remote wiring harness. I myself (and many others here) actually prefer to do (1). Very simple install (5 min), you control when you want them on/off, and no long wires running around the engine bay.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #38
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
Hey guys, I just wanted to take a minute and step back to say thanks to all the members on the board who have come before me. I am new to the BMW family only owning my car for about 3 weeks now. I'm registered on e46anatics, bimmerforums.com, and m3forum.com, as well as a couple others. I must say that this great group of guys comes through to answer questions and help while the other forum members more then fall short. I promise to return the favor in helping the noobs down the road as I learn more about my car and other BMWs. E46 Fanatics has my allegiance
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #39
mfanatic325

Quote:
Hey guys, I just wanted to take a minute and step back to say thanks to all the members on the board who have come before me. I am new to the BMW family only owning my car for about 3 weeks now. I'm registered on e46anatics, bimmerforums.com, and m3forum.com, as well as a couple others. I must say that this great group of guys comes through to answer questions and help while the other forum members more then fall short. I promise to return the favor in helping the noobs down the road as I learn more about my car and other BMWs. E46 Fanatics has my allegiance
welcome aboard!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #40
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Mfanatic325, just so you know your angel eyes are completely different from non facelift coupes. The trim they mount to doesn't move so fitment issues don't really exist.

The TE's are great, in fact, my favorite kit on the market because of how bright they are. You can see from the pics that heyimtommy posted just how visible they are during the day. Its the ONLY kit that I've seen that is bright enough to still stand out in sunlight. The issue with them is because the rings are thicker in width and depth, the headlight trim needs to be ground at a bit on the top back edge so that the ring can move freely and not bind against the trim. Its about 10-30 minutes extra work, more if you don't have a dremel or something of the sort. "Dead spots" were played up mostly as a disadvantage that shows up in pictures. They are much less visible in person, and only from extreme angles where the shape of the ring is distorted anyway.

Hope that clears some up for you.

-Tyler
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote