£600 Coupe bargain... - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
Crez_UK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lincoln UK
Posts: 3
My Ride: 320i Coupe
£600 Coupe bargain...

Hello to all you e46fanatics

My name is Craig I'm a former VW lover who is now fully converted to BMW life...

Around two weeks ago I purchased my first BMW from my brother inlaw for just £600.. and so far it looks to be a bargain of a lifetime

The car:

E46 coupe 2.2L 2001

The car is in over all good condition but had a few minor problems:
- coolant leak
- two hand sized patches of lacquer peel n/s rear & o/s roof.
- Leaking Cam cover
- Loud O/S rear wheel bearing

My first job was fix the coolant leak & from my research online a full refit of the cooling system was a must anyway. I found that the radiator had collapsed the dam thing look like a banana at the bottom! I have now replaced the water pump, Expansion tank, thermostat, belt and noisy tensioner while the radiator was out, The car now holds coolant just fine..

Next jobs are to replace the rear wheel bearing, Then a oil and plug service along with the cam cover gasket & Vanos seals.

I've driven the car arorund 1,000 miles since my ownership I can't believe I have spent so many years without a BMW in my life I love it..

Ive spent a lot of time researching online about the car and their problems. But If any of you kind users can point me of other parts to check/service I would be truly thankful

Here to stay & kind regards

Craig

Last edited by Crez_UK; 07-22-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Crez_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 31,106
My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Welcome Craig. Congrats on the BMW and good job doing the work yourself.
__________________
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
kirmanj muzoori
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
My Ride: 1999 bmw 323i e46
Good that u replaced the entire cooling system. Make sure u bleed the system properly.

How many kilometres is the car?

Get a code reader online, or get the codes read by a mechanic. This way you stay on top of everything and know when something is wrong.

Check the transmission oil, some bmw owners thought that the fluid was "lifetime" and neglected it. Replacing the fluid obviously helps extend the cars life.

Test the battery and alternator to ensure the car is getting adequate voltage. Bmw's require a lot of voltage so low voltage causes all sorts of issues.

£600 is really cheap for the car. Overall the e46 is a really comfortable car to drive but there could be a lot of issues if not maintained well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using E46Fanatics mobile app
kirmanj muzoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Crez_UK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lincoln UK
Posts: 3
My Ride: 320i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirmanj muzoori View Post
Good that u replaced the entire cooling system. Make sure u bleed the system properly.

How many kilometres is the car?

Get a code reader online, or get the codes read by a mechanic. This way you stay on top of everything and know when something is wrong.

Check the transmission oil, some bmw owners thought that the fluid was "lifetime" and neglected it. Replacing the fluid obviously helps extend the cars life.

Test the battery and alternator to ensure the car is getting adequate voltage. Bmw's require a lot of voltage so low voltage causes all sorts of issues.

£600 is really cheap for the car. Overall the e46 is a really comfortable car to drive but there could be a lot of issues if not maintained well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Hi kirmanj muzoori

the car has just clocked 120,000 miles.

I let the car come upto temperature & ran the heater on full while bleeding the system.

I used to work for Hyundai I'm no longer in the trade & I fell out of love working on cars a while back.. but the BMW has brought it all back to me & I have found myself enjoying the work during my days off

Thank you for the comments I will be sure to add them to my list
Crez_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Crez_UK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lincoln UK
Posts: 3
My Ride: 320i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Welcome Craig. Congrats on the BMW and good job doing the work yourself.

Hi Soildjake thanks for the warm welcome ***128077;***127999;
Crez_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
bendoscopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 191
My Ride: 02 320Ci (M54 2.2)
Welcome, fellow Brit.

Another 2.2/coupe here. Similar mileage too.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
__________________
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
kirmanj muzoori
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
My Ride: 1999 bmw 323i e46
Hey Crez, did u by any chance unscrew the plastic bolt near the cooling system. It helps to get rid of some of the trapped air. They outline it in a few YouTube videos.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using E46Fanatics mobile app
kirmanj muzoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Crez_UK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lincoln UK
Posts: 3
My Ride: 320i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Welcome, fellow Brit.

Another 2.2/coupe here. Similar mileage too.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Hey like your style where are you from bud??
Crez_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Crez_UK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lincoln UK
Posts: 3
My Ride: 320i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirmanj muzoori View Post
Hey Crez, did u by any chance unscrew the plastic bolt near the cooling system. It helps to get rid of some of the trapped air. They outline it in a few YouTube videos.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Yes I used the bleed value as you described.
Crez_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
bendoscopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 191
My Ride: 02 320Ci (M54 2.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crez_UK View Post
Hey like your style where are you from bud??


Just outside of Guildford. What about you?

What colourís your E46?
__________________
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Crez_UK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lincoln UK
Posts: 3
My Ride: 320i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendoscopy View Post
Just outside of Guildford. What about you?

What colourís your E46?

I'm located in Skegness, Lincolnshire

The car is Dark Blue with black leather not sure on the correct colour name just yet.. will post some pictures soon

What about yours?
Crez_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
bendoscopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 191
My Ride: 02 320Ci (M54 2.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crez_UK View Post
I'm located in Skegness, Lincolnshire



The car is Dark Blue with black leather not sure on the correct colour name just yet.. will post some pictures soon



What about yours?


Oh nice! Sounds good.

Iíve got topaz blue (which I guess is kinda a mid blue) and beige interior. I had my heart set on that combo and managed to find a decent model up in Birmingham.


Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
__________________
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.